SRS My mom's in the hospital with a Pulmonary Embolism :wtc:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SlvrCivLT621, Apr 15, 2007.

1. SlvrCivLT621

SlvrCivLT621 New Member

sorry this is a bit long.

so, my mom has a pulmonary embolism, which is a blood clot...it's in her lung and it's pretty big. i've been doing a lot of research to learn more about it, i knew the term when i was told before, and knew that people died from it. They so often go undetected and they don't know until autopsy. I read that 1 in 10 people die within the first hour.

my mom was convinced that the only thing wrong with her was a pinched nerve in her back. she went to the gym hoping that it would work it out, but little did she know that was probably the worst thing she could've done. my mom is one of those people that doesn't want anyone to worry about her, never complains, and never thinks there's anything wrong with her, it takes her kids to beg her to get some help. she's so damn stubborn. my sister and i both knew that something wasn't right and it was much worse than what she was saying it was. she couldn't sit down or anything, all she could do was stand up and she had a really hard time breathing and she would go into these spasms and it looked like she was having a heart attack. i told her to go to the ER Thurs. night but she didn't.

They finally went to the doctor on Fri. morning and the doctor said she should go get a CAT Scan to rule out a pulmonary embolism. My mom thought the doctor was nuts, but she went anyway. My mom was in so much pain and would go into spasms that she was unable to lay down for them to take a CAT Scan. They gave her Vicodin to help, but it didn't do anything to help the pain, then they finally gave her some Morphine, which helped take a little bit of the edge off and she was finally able to lay down for the CAT Scan. Between the time she got there and the time she was finally able to lay down was about 6 hours, so we're pretty damn lucky.

we were extremely lucky that they caught it, she could've died within minutes if they didn't find out...the doctors keep telling her that she's really young for this and that the clot is very big, she's only 54. She goes to the gym almost everyday, takes vitamins, etc.

she's on bed rest right now, they won't even let her go to the bathroom...if she stands up and moves around there is a huge possibility of the clot breaking loose and when clots break up, they pretty much cause death immediately because there's no oxygen going to the blood. She's pretty upset that they told her she can't go to the gym for at least 6 weeks.

Right now they have her on morphine and percocet to help with the pain. She hasn't slept in 3 days because she's been in so much pain, she said it was worse than childbirth. She's on Coumadin, which a is a blood thinner and she's going to be on that for a very long time, perhaps the rest of her life. I dunno if anyone knows, but when you take blood thinners there are so many restrictions.

right now we're waiting on blood test results to figure out what caused the clot. there's a chance that it's hereditary and if that's the case then my sister and i need to get tested. when i went to see my mom today she told me she was hoping she'd be able to go home tomorrow, but i didn't want to tell her that she's probably going to be there for awhile.

i'm sorry this turned into a long story, but that's the story. i've only dealt with ill relatives less than a handful of times. the only death in my family was my grandfather that passed away last year, i saw him 2 days before he passed laying in the hospital bed...last night seeing my mom in there just made me lose it, and it has me teary-eyed now. i actually just had to write a paper this week for sociology about a relative and i interviewed her and wrote the paper on her, so this also hurt. the only other time i was ever in that hospital was when i volunteered there for a year back in high school. i never thought i'd have to see my mom like that for at least another 20-30 years. it just makes you think and really appreciate life and the time we have to spend with people that we take for granted. my mom is truely my hero and the most amazing woman i have ever met, a true rags-to-riches success story and i have never admired someone so much in my life. i honestly have no clue what i would do without her, like if I could even go on.

Again, I'm sorry this is so long. I guess I just needed to get it all down and organize my thoughts and everything. This has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. I'm emotionally, physically and mentally drained right now, so I'm off to take a nap. If you actually read through this whole thing, props to you.

ok, i'm done venting.

and if anyone has been through this or knows anyone who had one and survived, i'd love some input

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The best thing for you right now is to just be with your mom. Even though it's hard to watch someone you love be in pain, be there with her.

3. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

:hug: It's very hard seeing a parent in the hospital. I've been there. hang in there.

4. DarkAngel19

DarkAngel19 New Member

My advice from being in the hospital too, is don't go there all worried and upset. Go there with a smile and talk about your day to take her mind off things. When I was in the hospital, people just came in and stared at me and were all upset. It sucked. Who is having the problem people, me or you!?!?! Anyway, try to remember that and be optimisitic and social when you visit her. Ask about getting a pain medicine button for her if she doesn't have one, I got one to help me sleep, it was great!

DA

5. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

My mom is still recovering from a double mastectomy this summer to remove a a malginant tumor. I know it's hard but hang in there. Pulmonary embolisms are treatable and there is a very high success rate using anticoagulants like Coumadin.

This should also be a warning to you to start taking daily low doses of aspirin or having an alcoholic drink a day, provided you are healthy enough for such things.

6. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Always true! Countless research articles prove that people in higher spirits, regardless of diagnosis, handle disease and medical care better than those who are depressed or saddened. It's tough, but be a damn trooper for your mom and your family, because she needs it right now. That's one thing I constantly stressed to my family when my mom was recovering.

Also, a PCA ("pain button") can be a good idea. It can't hurt to ask about one. Your doctor will let you know if the situation is right for the application.

7. AtoorayasGrl

AtoorayasGrl New Member

Just try to stay positive. I know it's really hard and I do know what you're going through because my mom just had triple bypass surgery about 2 weeks ago. There was more to it than just that so if you're bored you can look up my thread titled "5 years down the drain." Anyways, you really need to be there for her right now. It is going to be physically and emotionally draining, but just try to stay positive for your own sake and your moms. I know that she is in a lot of pain and there is nothing that you can do to ease that except to just be there for her. I will say a prayer for her. Just try to hang in there. And yes, life does come at you fast. Believe me, I know. :hs:

8. DarkAngel19

DarkAngel19 New Member

Yes, scootinintegra1, you put it much better than I did. Staying positive, even if it is fake will help her recover better and faster. I made my Dad leave the hospital when he came in all upset and angry... I said to him "If you can't smile at me while I'm the one dying, you have to leave". My Mom, on the other hand, brought me movies and my favorite lotions from home and gave me little hand massages and feet massages to keep my blood flowing and to help with the 'laying in one position' which is really, must harder than it looks.

Also, they probably gave her a hospital kit to keep clean and good smelling, but you could bring her some of those wipes that Always makes, or whoever, to keep her feeling clean:) Could be too much information for some, but being bedridden is really, really uncomfortable *grin*

Okay, that's it from me. Check up on that pain button!

DA

9. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Your Mom is incredibly lucky.
    Last July my wifes Mother died of an embalism.

She had had heart problems in the past. A month before she died she went to the emergency room because of heart palpitations. They sent her home and she saw her heart doctor a week later.

A month after that she was feeling fine when she simply passed out.
    They found a blood clot that went from her leg to her throat.

What puzzles me is that a clot that large must have taken longer then a month to form. She went to the doctors and it wasn't caught.

Yes your Mother is really uncomfortable and in a scary looking place. But they caught it. Your Mom is going to be fine.

Stay positive.

10. SlvrCivLT621

SlvrCivLT621 New Member

thanks for all the advice and kind words guys, i really appreciate it.
    my mom came home this afternoon and it's so great to have her back home.
    she was really down the other day so i made a sign that says "we miss you mommy" and took a picture of the sign with the dogs. I printed out a few other pictures too and put it into an album for her, she really liked it and kept the picture of the dogs at her bedside. My mom was on hormone replacement therapy and that may have been the cause of the clot. Because she's off the extrogen, her hormones are all out of whack and she's been very emotional. Things are going to be different, but we're here for her and she's got a big support group.

the blood tests that they took were taken when she had this "episode" so they may not show accurate results. we have to wait a year and then she can get some blood tests so we can find out whether or not it is genetic. I'm not going to take any chances though, I have a doctors appointment next week, with the doctor that made my mom get the CAT Scan in the first place, which we all plan to go thank personally for saving my mothers life. I'm going to talk about adjusting my meds that could potentially cause a clot just to be on the safe side.

11. The Saggin' Nutz

The Saggin' Nutz New Member

good luck with everything