SRS my mom's in jail and its killing me

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rip The Jacker, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

i knew she had kleptomania when i was alot younger, but i guess she's started again. she didnt come home one night last week so we called the police to file a missing persons report and everything. find out she went to jail because she stole some flowers from a gardening store, and my dad sat me and my brother down to tell us she was actually on parole because she did it before, and served a week in jail a couple months ago (she told us she was going for some sleep clinic thing).

well now she's in jail for 2-3 months for violating her parole, and has her trial for this new offense coming up next monday on the 26, which i still havent been able to find a lawyer for (this is really driving me crazy).

she's being mistreated in jail and theres nothing i can do, i dont even know if the lawyer will be able to help her. it just feels like my life is on pause until she gets out and i dont know what to do.

cliffs: mom's in jail because she steals petty shit, i cant find her a lawyer, and its bringing me tons of anxiety.

2. Rip The Jacker

it wouldnt be so bad if jail wasnt especially hard on her. she fell down a flight of steps there and the nurses wont even help her shower or give her the sleep pad thing her doctor (the jail's doctor actually) ordered for her :mad:

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

*hugs* :hug:

Relax, breathe deep. Now although it are petty things , the repetitive offenses will bring her deeper and deeper in trouble.

http://www.managementhelp.org/legal/gen_advc/gen_advc.htm

Simply providing her a lawyer won't do, the court must be made aware of your mothers disease which is caused by a brain disorder, hence the suggestion that she activly needs theraphy and medication to get rid of her bad compulsive behaviour.

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/kleptomania.htm

Because if you are able to prove to the court that its caused by mental disease, can make all the difference in the world. I highly suggest that you suggest this to the lawyer that will be defending your mom, make sure that he emphasizes that the things she steals are petty things on a constant basis from early youth and the symptomes of the mental disorder of kleptomania are consistantly present , and that she suffers from this brain disorder to which she needs Counseling and Psychotherapy.

On that basis locking her up is rediculous because treatment is available and if she randomly comes out she will still suffer from the disorder, in other words, the woman is a mental and needs treatment, she has not and never will be a threat of any kind and with the proper medication the disorder will dissapear.

That you as a family will care and stand garentee for her ,and refund any property loss that has been suffered to any given owner that has been in dismay for her behaviour. That the court please must understand about her mental disease, and allow a psychologist to evaluate and review her manic behaviour.

(then show all the good things she has done)

Well, the above are just suggestions, but the basic gist is , get a lawyer, and throw it on a mental illness.

4. Rip The Jacker

the courts tend not to believe that its a mental illness, from what i've been reading :hs:

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

so they throw people in jail for steal flowers and let the drug dealers fun rampant in the streets.

6. Rip The Jacker

my mom said hookers just come and go all the time, they need to make room for the petty thieves.

7. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I'm sorry to hear that :hug:

I remember my dad being in jail (for 2 weeks)
    I was the one to call the cops on him and i was outside when they cuffed him and put him in the car

it's a hard thing to deal with when a family member is in jail b/c you know there's nothing you can do.

from what you have said, her being mistreated in jail is so messed up. I suggest you/your mom document everything that's taking place and take it up with your local judical system.

Or even have your family physician come into the jail and speak with the doctors there and have your mom be examined by the family physician.

All i can say is try to visit your mom (if you can) so she doesn't feel so left out of the family or anything like that. And try talking to your dad/brother and come up with a plan to have a family discussion when your mom comes out so this doesn't re-occur and try to get her some help.

hope all goes well :hug:

8. Rip The Jacker

we found a lawyer we like today, and he'll be seeing her tomorrow, which is a huge relief for me. i feel so much better knowing a pro is there doing what he can.

after the call i made to the nurse supervisor they actually treated her worse by taking away her neck collar, which is the only thing that helped her sleep :mad:

we visit as often as they let us, two half hour visits a week, where only two of us can be there so we take turns. but visiting is done like a webcam, so we havent been able to physically see her for 2 weeks now :sad2:

9. wufei

wufei New Member

:hug: sorry to hear that

i heard from my lawyer that the judicial system a lot of time disregards mental disorders, preferring to take on the "you cant use that as an excuse" attitude.

jail is always no matter what they try to tell you, undoubtedly fucked up and uncomfortable. mistreatment is standard procedure.

10. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

the shitty part is that the defense of mental illness has been used and abused before. (not saying anything about your mom, Rip, just making a blanket statement as I've seen it).

Problem is how do you actually sort out the cases that are due to mental illness vs. frivilous.. that's the problem and judges often don't care.

Rip, has your mom sought any treatment for this? If so, having a mental health pro talk appear in court is a step in the right direction.

11. Rip The Jacker

yeah she's been seeing a psychiatrist and therapist, for this and other things. the lawyer already got my mom to sign a release so he can talk to them.

12. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If all signals are green, i would definitly try to throw it on this, i mean your mom does suffer from this, and if you don't try , well you always miss if you never shoot right? And it could mean the difference between common detention, or mental treatment for her illness. You should strive for the best possible outcome for your mom. And keep us updated.