My mom wants to start exercising..help *NO pics*

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by disblohs, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

I'm going home for the summer and my Mom wants me to work out with her and help her get motivated to exercise. Her weight isn't out of control, but she said she wants to work on her stomach, legs, etc. She's 47 years old, 5'4" or so and 135 i believe. She isn't really concerned about weight loss so much as she's concerned with losing a few inches.

This is where you guys come in. I need you to help come up with a routine for her. If you guys give me a decent routine for her I can show her how to do all the exercises; I just don't know what would be best for her to do. She's open to the idea of lifting so that's a good start.

She's tried southbeach diet and all those things and they work, but she can't really stay on those forever. What would you recommend she do with her diet since she isn't concerned with weight loss, just fat loss?

If it were a friend of mine asking me what to do, I would have a lot better idea what advice to give them. However, I'm not really sure what to tell her exactly. Thanks for any input

2. disblohs

i've read it before, but she wants to start exercising and I'm not sure what kind of lifting/cardio she should be doing to just start out. She can get her diet in check, but what else?

3. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

go to the training logs and get a general idea of what most people's splits are

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I wish my mom would work out.

5. disblohs

yep. she's gonna be going with me to powerhouse. she wants me to go with her for the summer so she can get used to it and get into a habit of going. she sounded pretty open to the idea of lifting. i was actually kind of surprised by that. i'd really appreciate some help with this because i want her to get started correctly.

6. disblohs

well, most of the logs are for people in their 20s and below (except maybe that old bastard Pur :mamoru: ) i don't really know what adjusts need to be made based on her age and what not

7. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

thats fucking :cool:

8. disblohs

my only concern is that she's not really looking for a "hard body" like ruggedmag is talking about. the same things they talk about will still apply for her goals, right?

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Easy, easy way for beginners (imo) is a 3-day split. Get her in there, have her do 20-30 minutes of cardio and say, 2 sets of exercises for each body part. Give that a few weeks and then start refining it.

10. disblohs

well, i'm going to get her started on Monday of next week. this is just something i put together and i want to get opinions on it. it's a 3 day split with one exercise for chest, back, arms/shoulders, and legs on each day. different exercise each day for each body part. she doesn't want to do squats or deadlifts and i don't really blame her.

Monday:

10 minute uphill walk

DB bench
    assisted pullups
    tricep extensions
    lunges with DBs

Wednesday:

10 minute walk uphill

chest fly
    bent over DB row
    barbell curls
    calf raises

Friday:

10 minute walk uphill

incline DB bench
    wide grip lat pulldowns
    lateral raise
    seated hip abduction

11. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Park her ass on an elliptical trainer for 30 minutes a day.

12. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

i think its great that you and your mom have a relationship thats close enough that she trusts you to help her with her health. its also cool that she's open to lifting and doing whats necessary to make a difference.

heh, i'm still a mama's boy.

oh, and i agree with cavefish. elliptical is great. the doctor recommended the elliptical for me instead of the treadmill because it would be less stressful on the knees for me, being overweight and all.

i love it. :bigthumb:

13. disblohs

i agree with you that she should consider them later on. however, i can see why she doesn't want do it right out of the gate. i'm going to try and get her started on a regular exercise schedule and then when she gets more comfortable with it, i'll incorporate different exercises such as squats or deadlifts.

i've noticed that a lot of people that go to the gym just go about their workouts really half assed and don't lift with any sort of intensity. hopefully she will pick up on the intensity aspect of lifting when she sees me doing my routine.

14. disblohs

well, she already told me that she doesn't want to run because she has a larger chest. not exactly something i want to think about, but that's the reason she would rather not run. i'm assuming that would extend as far as the elliptical as well. that's the reason i chose incline walking rather than elliptical. do you think she should do 30 minutes of cardio to start out or start at 10 and work her way up?

15. disblohs

i'm definitely glad she came to me rather than going to a PT or someone that is going to tell her to do 11ty billion crunches to get in shape. i'm actually really surprised that she was so open to the idea of lifting. she called me up and said that she was thinking that she wished she had someone to work out with and then she realized that i would be home for the summer, so she asked me. i think once she gets started she'll do great. she's had success with dieting in the past, but she wants to lose fat and keep it off. exercising is definitely going to help her with that.

16. dread

dread New Member

The elliptical will be less bounce if done right.

17. tetaplum

tetaplum OT Supporter

if she does end up running just make sure its not on grand river f/ short gym shorts:mamoru:

ps "im a big girl"

18. disblohs

lol...tetaaaa

19. disblohs

what kind of sets and reps should i have her doing?

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  20. disblohs

bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.