SRS My mom is on life support

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AtoorayasGrl, Aug 12, 2007.

1. AtoorayasGrl

AtoorayasGrl New Member

I made a thread in here a couple of months ago about my mom being in the hospital. She was diagnosed with a rare disease last year- scleroderma. It is basically worse than cancer as doctors have no idea what causes it and how to cure it. It can be veru agressive and attack your organs causing them to fail. Back in March, my mom was rushed to the hospital because she couldn't breath, ended up having pheumonia, septis (blood poisoning), and a heart attack. She made it through it all, had triple bypass and went back home after two weeks. Since them, she's been in and out of the hospital due to stomach problems, having a stent inserted in her artery to prevent a stoke, etc. I have talked to one of her doctors and he said that the scleroderma has only attacked her stomach and not her vital organs. Anyways, last week, we went to go see her doctor for a follow up and I told him about everything that has been going on. She ended up going straight to the hospital after the appointment because she had trouble breathing and she was so weak that she couldn't get up at all. We rushed her into the ER. I found out that she had another heart attack. Basically her cardiologist did an angiogram on her and found that one of her valves in her heart are not closing so blood is leaking back, making her heart work harder than it's supposed to. The doctors cannot do surgery on her now because she is extremely weak from throwing up everyday because of her stomach. Anyways things seemed to have been getting better because last Tuesday she got transferred out of ICU and into a normal hospital room. However, the nurse found that my moms oxygen level was very low even with the oxygen mask on. On Thursday, she was seen by a lung doctor to see what is the deal with her oxygen being so low. They gave her a little bit of water to drink (she hasn't been able to eat or drink anything while in teh hospital due to her stomach) and I guess she aspitrated the fluid into her lungs. She couldn't breath so the doctor rushed her back up into the ICU and put her on a ventilator. They found out that she has phneumonia again because of the fluid in her lungs. They doctors say that it is a bad prognosis and are going to wait 4 days to see how she responds to the antibiotics. They say that her body is starting to shut down. She is on life support now. I've been to the hospital everyday except for today because last time I went I had a panic attack. I'm on anxiety medication. Everyone tells me to be strong, but I cannot. Just standing there watching my mom so lifeless and not being able to help her kills me inside. I just don't know how much more I can handle... :wtc:

The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that she is a fighter. :hs:

2. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

:hug:

I bet your daily presence gives your mom some comfort.

4. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Fuck. Honey, I'm so so sorry. :hug:

Fuck being strong. Let it out. :hug: We're here for you, let us know what we can do :hug:

5. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

I am going to pray for your mother, i am so sorry to hear. I can't comprehend how you feel right now, no one should go through this.

6. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

I and some family had to make the decision to pull my mother off of the machine. It sucked, but it was long overdue. GOod luck

7. Electric_Church

Electric_Church New Member

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Since its such a rare disease , it will be hard to get into contact here with people who can relate to the full extend , you might want to look into the scleroderma foundation website ,

http://www.scleroderma.org/
    http://sclerodermafnd.proboards104.com/

What i can read from the disease is that it is complete hell, and an expertise in itself in terms of treatment. We all wish you the extended support and love in these dire times. :hug::love::hug:

9. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Sorry to hear about this. Hope everything works out. Just stay by her side and give her the support she needs.

10. AtoorayasGrl

AtoorayasGrl New Member

Thanks for everyone for your kind words. I have been on the scleroderma foundation site and I'm waiting for my account to become active so that I can go on the message boards. I don't know when those 4 days are going to come around, but it will be sometime soon. I just hope and pray that she is going to respond to the mediaction. It is not her time to go...she is still so young and has so much more to live for. Of I course I do not want to see her suffer, but I know that she is not ready to go herself. This week is going to be pure hell...just waiting around. I haven't been back to the hospital since Saturday because I keep on having panic attacks. It just hurts so much knowing that I cannot do anything for her. I feel so helpless.

11. oscarkat

oscarkat Happiness is a long hard road. OT Supporter

:hug: I understand you feeling like you just can't stay strong anymore, you don't want to any more, I totally get that. What you're actually going through I can't even begin to imagine though, I'm so sorry. Good luck.

12. AtoorayasGrl

AtoorayasGrl New Member

A little update: My dad has called the nurses station earlier on and was told that they are lowering my mom's oxygen a little cause it seems like she is starting to breath on her own. She is also becoming a little coherent because I guess the other day when the nurse was talking to her she started to mover her eyes and hands a little. I am going to the hospital with my dad tonight. I now have a little hope that she will make it. She is still extremely sick, but I have hope that she will be strong and fight this.

13. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Sorry to hear about your mom, I'll pray for her. Is she here in AZ in in Chicago?

14. AtoorayasGrl

AtoorayasGrl New Member

She is in Chicago. I should probbaly update my profile. I went to ASU and lived in Arizona for 2 years, but I've moved back home since I've graduated.

15. AtoorayasGrl

AtoorayasGrl New Member

Another update....she's developed a fever today of 102 and the doctors increased her oxygen level. She is incoherent again. I understand that everyone has their good days and their bad days, but I can't help feeling so depressed and helpless. Can you guys please say a prayer for my mom or any wishes... :wtc:

16. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

^ I just did ;). Prayers go out for you mom.

17. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

il go say a prayer right now and 2moro when i go to church good luck

18. AtoorayasGrl

AtoorayasGrl New Member

This was an old thread, but thanks for the prayer. My mom passed away already about 3 months ago.

19. dano

dano OT Supporter

So sorry to hear. :( My prayers for you and your family to keep on keeping on.

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's terrible.

Do yourself a favor, though, and don't put your life on hold until...well...you know. You're doing a good thing for your mother, being there and letting her know she has a reason to live, but you need to make sure she doesn't become your reason to live, because whether through age or disease, she is going to die, and you need to have a well-established life to carry on with once she's gone.

21. dano

dano OT Supporter

She did pass.

22. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

My condolences on your loss. I hope you're able to deal with your loss and try to get back to your life.

23. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dammit! I swear, I stopped reading just as I got to the post before that one.

I'm sorry to hear that.