my mom is looking for a lexus ~$25,000

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by HardTech, Sep 23, 2005.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

She's eyeing a newer ES300. Any other recommendations?

Anything I should know about the ES300 before I buy?

2. Scoty2Hotty

Scoty2Hotty New Member

the es is just a camry with different badging and a leather interior. go with the is300.

3. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

it would be a perfect car for your mom

4. onepointone

onepointone New Member

the es300 is a good car. things to look out for on the older style are oil leaks. they will bust your ass. rear main oil seals, valve cover gaskets, cam/front crank seals, oil pan gaskets... they all leak. ive seen lots of power steering pumps leak/go bad.

lexus/toyota did a sludge "gel" campaign. the the es300, rx300, and other toyota vehicles with the 3.0 v6, when people do not change the oil they sludge up easily. if the vehicle burns oil, it needs a new bottom end (usually), and the heads rebuilt for sure. luckily, they take the blame for some reason and the dealership will do it free of charge if you can prove you changed the oil in the last year.

your best bet is to get a certified vehicle if she is looking for a used car. the lexus certified warranty is pretty good from what i have seen on my side of the wall (im a tech). 3years/100,000 miles. lexus is a good company and the right dealership will take care of you, i know mine is amazing about customer service.

the rx300 might not be a bad choice either, but i think they are fugly. they share alot with the es300, its just that its an suv and you can get 4wd.

a gs300/400/430 would be a nice choice too. i rarely see problems with them, sometimes starters or rear main oil seal leaks. now that i think about it, a gs may be a better choice. the es300 will nickle and dime you to hell if certain things are bad/havent been fixed.

all in all, they are very good cars. hope that helped.

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

thanks man, it helped a lot :)

too bad my dad is going to make her wait a year before being able to buy a car

6. InfectedShadow

InfectedShadow New Member

ES sucks. Camry with a bodykit.

Used GS 400/430 will set her right, and she'll have money to burn. The 400/ 430 engines are toyotas highest funded and most researched engines to date.

7. onepointone

onepointone New Member

es is a camry with a body kit? man, your buying a lexus. the interior is different, the outside is different, its a different car. similar yes, the same, no. have you ever owned one? how can you say they suck? i personally think they are overpriced, but along with buying a es300, your also buying the "suck your dick" service that lexus offers.

i do however agree that a gs would be your best bet. the 400/430 motors are not more reliable than the 3.0 straight 6. the only engines ive seen problems with are the 3.0 v6 that i was talking about the sludge issue. but in my opinion, thats the customer's fault for not changing their oil. i know plenty of people with that engine in numerous vehicles and they have never had a problem. you have to maintain a vehicle, thats just part of owning one.

8. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

get an LS400 that is a couple years old, you will be MUCH happier

my mom has a 98 with about 95,000 miles, not one thing has ever gone wrong, plus lexus dealers are wonderful about all the routine maintainence