SRS my mom has skin cancer.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by paranoidandroid, Mar 28, 2009.

1. paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid New Member

my mom just called me and told me that she has skin cancer. She has to have a few operations to have it all removed and they will find out if it is melatonin, i think it is called on Tuesday. my dad died of lung cancer three years ago, so I am pretty worried. It feels like there is always someone I know being either diagnosed with cancer or dying of cancer. It's really starting to wear on me and making me really cynical and depressed, since there is always someone I am worrying about. I know this isn't about me, and I sound selfish but its starting to drive me crazy. I remember less than ten years ago I had not even known someone who had died before, and now there are about ten that I have known, many of them close to me. these thoughts have been in my head for a long time, but hearing my mom say the word "cancer" about herself just pushed me over the edge. I guess I am just venting, but if anyone has anything to contribute it would be much appreciated. I don't feel comfortable saying these things to friends or family.

2. Many forms of skin cancer are not really lethal. There are 3 types, basal cell, squamous cell and melanoma. Melanoma being the worst of the three. Lets hope that what they removed ends up not being a melanoma. :) Even if it is though, and it was caught early enough (Stage 1/2) it can be treated with a pretty high success rate.

I hope it ends up not being anything serious. ;) If you have ANY questions about it feel free to PM me or something, I know a good amount about it.

- Dietrich
    Stg 4 Melanoma Cancer Patient

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

good luck with everything that fucking sucks stay strong.

4. paranoidandroid

thanks man. i did some research online and it looks like it isn't as serious as I thought, even though cancer is never not serious. i just have memories of what my dad went through, and to think of my mom going through the same thing just kills me.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

http://www.cancercompass.com/

I really liked this website, but when it comes to cancer there are really no words for it, its hard in a sense no words seem capable of expressing but our loved ones at the moment do not have an eternal life on this planet, i guess it was the same for me in that i expected everyone just to live forever. But this emotional connection that i had for my pet cat , i was devestated when she got the disease and died from it and i still cry when i think of it. The sea gives and the sea takes, is what i once heard and i think its true. The life that has been given will be taken back, and although its a natural occurance it is so damn hard to lose the ones that we are connected to , but.

Life is like sand in your hand, you cant prevent it from slipping thru no matter how much you try to grab it. So its best just to go with its flow and give it a more proper context in your life. Namely instead of dying for your lost loved ones , to start living for them. Non of the deceased would like you to be happy, so you should focus on being happy and making the most of your life for them and yourself.

But as said skin cancer treatment is rather good, i hope your mom is going to be ok soon.

6. wimp

wimp New Member

didnt you watch the office? skin cancer has a 98% survivability rate! and im sure that other 2% are the people who ignored it before it spread to their lymph

7. paranoidandroid

haha michael was pissed because Kevin spoiled his birthday for possibly having skin cancer.

8. nsane

nsane New Member

My mom had basal cell skin cancer last year - they removed it, then tested what they removed and found out that they hadn't gotten all of it. She went back and went through another removal surgery, but in the second surgery they would take a layer of skin, then test, then repeat until there wasn't any more cancer.

She said the worst part of all of it was the shot, if that's any consolation. Hope your mom turns out like mine did!

9. Mogul

Mogul New Member

My mom also had it, but it was a simple surgery to remove and she was fine.

I hope everything works out well!

10. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

11. paranoidandroid

thanks a lot guys, you actually did help me feel better!

12. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

My mom had it on her face, a few surgeries over the past year or so and she is cured and you can barely tell she had the surgery.