MIL My military career is in limbo.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by brackac, Jul 16, 2005.

1. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

As most of you know I came into the Air Force in hopes of becoming a Combat Controller. Unfortunately due to a injury sustained while playing football, it looks like I may not be able to physically do the training. In December I sustained a shoulder injury which was diagnosed as a minor tear of the supraspinatus tendon. An injury that will heal with therapy and time. So for 5 months I endured the pain and had faith that it would heal. Around May the pain increased and I started having problems swimming. Specifically the shoulder would give out when my arm was directly over head. I went back to the Doctor and they decided I needed surgery. During the surgery they discovered that I did not have a minor tear of the supraspinatus tendon, but had ripped the Labrum in half, and seperated it from the shoulder socket. This required multiple anchors be placed into the shoulder socket to resecure the tissue to the bone.

I am now 3 weeks post-op, and have been in physical therapy since 3 days post-op. Weds I started to experience extreme pain during the therapy sessions. I went to my Doctor yesterday and found out that the therapy may have been to much to soon. And I have experienced a set back to week 1 post-op.

The shoulder healing to the point that I can sustain the training, and be physically capable of operating in the SpecOp community will not be known for months. At the age of 31, soon to be 32, I see my dream of becoming a Combat Controller disappearing due to a backyard game of football.

So hear I sit taking demerol and feeling sorry for myself on the internet. :fawk:

2. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

fuck sorry man :hug: it may all work out in the end though, only time will tell

3. brackac

Yeah, really discouraged right now. I know for sure that I will not make RIP in April. Being ready for the CCT pipeline in November is still possible.

4. brackac

I am going to severely injure you one day.

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Damn man, that sucks. :sad2: Best of luck. :(

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Thats sucks. I'm 20 and can feel the aches and pains already at times. Guys in your age range of 30-40 must have it real bad. I don't want to know how I'm going to feel then... :noes:

7. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

wow, sounds like the doctors don't know what they're doing

8. brackac

Guys in my age range. :wtc: That sounds so negative.

9. brackac

Doctor who did the surgery is very good. The MRI was read by an outside company.

10. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Lol no its not negative. I think the wide age spectrum is great because you have younger guys who the older ones can pass their experience onto before they decide to get out.

11. brackac

I have been concerned about my age and have spent a lot of time talking to the functional manager for CCT who has been a Combat Controller for 18 years about this. He said the same thing that you did. That my age and experience would be beneficial to the younger troops, and classes with a trainee my age have higher graduation rates when compared to classes of nothing but new recruits.

12. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Yes it is nice. It helped quite a bit during Small Unit Tactics for phase 2 and now in Phase 3 having solida leadership keeps things organized and moving. We have people ranking from E-3 (like myself) all the way to E-7. We have guys with infantry background, engineer, intel, psyops etc.

Does it work like that with the CCT community?

13. brackac

Yes, anyone that is eligible to retrain or initially train into CCT, and meets the requirements, can enter into the pipeline.

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Crap. Sorry to hear it, brackac.

And I'm real sorry I had to block you from AIM. You were starting to sound gay. :dunno:

(j/k :rofl: )

15. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

No way!! Military medicine inferior?! Get out!

:hs: :hs: :hs: :hs: :hs:

16. Arditezza

Arditezza Dum spiro, spero

When did the military start giving out Demerol?

I can't tell you how many times I got a bottle of 800 mg Advil and was told, come back in 2 weeks if you don't feel better.

In fact, when I had my son and they screwed up my c-section, they refused to give me demerol and offered me advil instead. Here I am with 28 staples across my stomach, two hours after surgery, and the poor nurse is standing there with one of those bright orange pills trying his best to look positive about it. I laugh now...

Good luck with your shoulder, man. Getting back on track is always really tough.