MIL My MEPS and ASVAB experience, and question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jcgodfrey, Jul 11, 2006.

1. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

So I took the ASVAB today. The recruiter drives me to the MEPS station and drops me off, says he'll be back when the test is over.

1:30-2:15ish - wait for test to start
    2:15 - 3:30 - take test
    3:30 - 7:42pm - wait at MEPS station because my recruiter forgot to come back and pick me up.

How awesome is that?

The ONLY redeeming thing was that my ASVAB score was a 96.

With that score, isn't there a good chance I can pick my route I want to take (obviously there are physical tests etc.).

Whew...what a day...

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

asvab was pretty easy. my recruiter forgot about me and left me at MEPS too. they sent some poolee to come pick me up lol.

with that score you're can qualify for almost every job.

they offered me intell and i wanted that but unfortunately because i'm a national they stuck me into something shitty called traffic management before switching me over to combat engineering. i've been pretty happy with engineering thus far.

3. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

awesome. im going to MEPS tomorrow actually. it's in brooklyn and i live out on the island (20-45 min drive, depending on the driver :mamoru:) and my recruiter seems like the type that would just forget about me :wtc:. so i think im gonna have a back-up ride home....or something planned out

4. kazimer

kazimer New Member

congrats on the score
    i made the same

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Your AFQT score of 96 places you in Category 1 (the highest) for entrance into the military. The AFQT score only qualifies you for enlistment purposes - it does not qualify you for any specific job.

Your Composite scores are what will be used to qualify you for a specific MOS. Although with an AFQT of 96, you probably exceeded the composite minimums for anything you would want to sign up for. :hsugh:

See: http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=40716673&postcount=6

6. Clix

Clix New Member

:werd:

I only got an 86 put all my line scores were 125+ cept one I got a 118 I think

7. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Well say for the Army my line scores are this:

GT - 132
    CL - 135
    CO -135
    EL -135
    FA -136
    GM - 135
    MM - 134
    OF - 135
    SC - 135
    ST - 134

They told me I'd qualify for anything based on the test scores. Obviously I have to qualify physically etc. though too.

This makes me more excited though...now the picture is becoming more clear for me.

Thanks!

8. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Oh and thank you Ranger - AO for posting the link to those line score requirements.

9. Ranger-AO

My pleasure. And congratulations, again, on your scores.

You are right. Your composite scores qualify you for a MEPS contract with a guaranteed training slot for any position in the Army. Now you need to decide what you want to do, and where you want to go down the road. What career field (civilian, as well as military) are you most interested in? If you had a blank sheet of paper to write your dream job out on, what would it be?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  10. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Ranger-AO

Thanks for pointing that out...I knew that I was guaranteed a TRAINING SLOT...I hate to get too far ahead of myself, but I do realize that this is a great opportunity, and given enough hard work, I can do anything that the military offers.

Maybe you can help me out here. As a kid, my dream job was to fly...I always wanted to be a pilot, and I still loooove flying! The special forces also intrique me - I love the fact that they learn a second language, I love the idea of training and keeping in shape, and being the BEST of the best. Working out is a big part of my life, and I want that to continue.

That being said, I am very interested in federal law enforcement 'down the road'. Being a pilot in the military would never look bad on a resume for that, would it? Thing is, if I become a pilot I could honestly see myself making it a career. Flying commercially (big airliners) doesn't interest me except for the money :)

Thanks for your input, I truly appreciate it.

I'm talking to the Marines tomorrow. If I had a CHOICE, I would rather fly a fixed wing versus flying a rotor.

Also, is there anywhere that I can go to find a listing of all military jobs? There might be something I would enjoy that I had no idea even existed. I'm going to ask my recruiter about that tomorrow.

11. Ranger-AO

Air Force pilot AFSC's look like "11B1A", and are put together this way:

One thing to think about is Weapons Systems Officer. This is a pilot that primarily focuses on target acquisition, electronic jamming systems, etc. This would be the rear seater in the F-4, for example.

I know nothing about Navy/Marine/Coast Guard/Army pilot MOS or Rating systems. Burton564 is an Army helicopter pilot, and might be able to give you some details.

It goes without saying that no matter what you want to do, or whatever your recruiter tells you, take your time with your career selection. Get a ton of input and advice before you sign anything at all.

edit: are you wanting to go Officer or Enlisted? I seem to recall seeing that you had a degree, but I don't know what it is in. Most of my advice in this post assumes you will be a pilot. :o

For a full Army MOS list, I would google "army mos list". Similarly for Air Force: "air force afsc list". Marines: "marine mos list". Don't get me started on the Navy. They speak a completely different language, and I can't help you there.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  12. burton564

burton564 New Member

i actually found out today that my real mos is 154C..Cargo/Medium Lift Helicopter Aviator. it hasn't been 153A since i started flying 47's. shows how smart i am. maybe i should start reading them DA pams they stack on my desk

13. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

i took mine tonight, and my recruiter came back to pick me up. and i think i did pretty good :o

14. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Ranger AO - I DO have a degree...it is in marketing of all things. I have references out the wazoo, I've never even tried any drugs, and never been in trouble with the law. I say this because they asked me all of these things :)

I already told my recruiter for the Army that I am talking to all other branches, and I WILL be gathering information until I am satisfied that I am making the best decision. For something this major, I want to be SURE this is what I want.

Here's a question - My Army recruiter told me if I go in as an officer, I pick three 'jobs'. I am guaranteed one of those three, meaning I could get 'stuck with' something. He said if I go in enlisted, he can guarantee, in writing, one job that I want.

Off to Google MOS lists...thanks again for all your input. I really appreciate it.

15. Ranger-AO

Very cool. :bigthumb:

16. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Preist Tango - You got a good score AND got picked up?!?!? No fair!!! I'm jealous! :)

17. Ranger-AO

You probably know that the marketing degree isn't going to help you much.

Turbomaniacal or Burton564 can give you details on the officer route. I have never been an officer, but I have enlisted several times :)o in Air Force active/reserves and Army reserves).

If you go the enlisted route, you can definitely get a guaranteed training slot in the MOS/AFSC of your choice. This happens at MEPS. If you enlist, ask your recruiter for the latest bonus options for the MOS's that interest you the most. When you select your MOS at MEPS, do not raise your right hand until you are SURE that you have picked the MOS you want, and you have the benefits/bonus/etc that you are entitled to.

18. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Ranger AO - Yeah I know the marketing degree isn't going to help me much. But as it stands, the Army recruiter really has no doubt that I can go in as an officer. I may go in enlisted though if it means that I am guaranteed a position I want.

If I am anything, it is not a rash decision maker. I'll squeeze all the extra money and benefits I can, AND get it in writing.

I'm excited though, I really think this will be a great opportunity and I will have a good feeling every morning like I am doing something worth while.

Now I'm REALLY off to check out MOS lists!

19. Ranger-AO

If I could go back in time, I would go the Warrant Officer route. Next best: enlist, and then become a Warrant Officer.

20. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I did the OCS route, and basically had a list of 10 branches to choose from.
    my top 4 were: Infantry, Engineer, MP, and Signal
    I was branched Engineer and didnt find out until week 8 of OCS. Most people find out earlier, but apparently my engineering degree locked me into the engineering branch :o