my mazda 323

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by brasheye, Oct 5, 2006.

1. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

Thought I might post up my project car, it's fun but a real labour of love sometimes :noes:

Some basic specs:

1979 Mazda 323 Super Deluxe
    White with brown interior.

Mechanically the car doesn't have much left from the stock 323, the Tailshaft and diff is the only original parts left which has handled pretty good so far with almost 3x the original power been put through it.

The diff will be replaced with a Borg Warner From a R31 Skyline, and a LSD centre is in it. I was considering a minispool but the LSD would easily cope.

The clutch is a heavy duty unit and is connected to a RX4 4 speed gearbox wich is awesome but the ratios are a bit short to be ran on the highway.

Moving to the engine, The stock 1.4 donk has been replaced with a Series 3 12a with the stock Nikki Carby and K&N filter. It is putting out 93rwkw @ 6100rpm on Shootout mode at Berowra Dyno tuning centre. The RPM was so low as the carby was running out off puff and was actualy losing power. Replacing the fuel pump and Putting through some Carby cleaner solution The power now starts to drop off at 7300rpm, so I'm confident of cracking 100rwkw after a tune.

Only engine mods are a DBR gilmer drive, Rx4 radiator, Ser II oil cooler (mounted behind number plate) a Alloy coolant catch can and a Rotorsport Engine Crossmember

Exhaust is 2 1/4 mandrel bent system with a single muffler and no resonator, it's very loud :wtc:

The interior is in pretty good order, it has Series 5 RX-7 Convertable seats which have speakers in the headrest :dunno:

Brakes and suspension were also upgraded to pass engineering laws, Volvo 4 piston Calipers and VH Commodore disc up front and stock rear drums with 626 heatsinks on the rear. Suspension is left stock up back which isn't too bad but the front has been replaced with Series 2 RX-7 struts and coils with an aftermarket Coilover conversion to make them height adjustable, it has spax springs and Pedders shocks.

Wheels are Performance Brand 14 x 6 with peice of shit Madison tyres on the back and Dunlop's on the front. :ugh:

I don't really have any outlandish plans for the car as it is already engineered and it would be a hassle to go through it all again, maybe a small bridge or extend port and a 48mm webber to bring it up to around 110rwkw and do mid 13's but right now Im happy with it at the moment.

Here are some pictures, this is pretty much how I got the car, it is a bit neater now though.

Pics

[​IMG]

notice the small holes in the headrest for the speakers!

[​IMG]

The engine bay with the blingin leads and oil filler cap.

[​IMG]

:bowdown: Mazda power!

[​IMG]

Look at that, big brakes and plastic carbon fibre :wiggle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Intimidating huh :rofl:

[​IMG]

No, its not a fake front mount, It's a series 2 rx7 oil cooler baby!

[​IMG]

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hah! Wow; I thought it was going to be a new 323. Nice restoration job; those old Mazdas will run forever.

3. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

:cool:
    that is one clean 323. nice work. one question: what was your reason for a 12a as opposed to a 13b?

4. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

Thanks

New NSW Engineering laws only allow a 12a at maximum now :(

There was a time when 13b turbo's could legally be fitted to these cars.

Last weighbridge showed 780kg (1720 pounds) so the power to weight ratio makes it a handful :mamoru:

5. deusexaethera

Can't you just buy a 13B and grind off the identifier? How will "they" ever know what kind of engine it is?

6. fryd_day

fryd_day New Member

Nice hatchie bro.. good to see a recessed front, every man and his dog has a bugeye front these days.

Also good to see its not jacked up on chromies, cos we know how u aussies like destroying old school jappas with big chrome wheels ;) u should slam it on some modgies bro. Kiwi stylez

U gonna rebuild the engine and get it ported at some stage? PP + IDA ?? :big grin:

7. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

deusexaethera, the cops here are a bit cluey, they have been known to get the ruler out and measure the housings and check their records.

Thanks Fryd_day, Plan is to leave it how it is. Motor is left untouched as far as I know but it has a ported idle so Im not 100% certain, may be a small extend port or something.

8. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

That looks good! I wish my REPU engine bay was that clean.

9. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

Wow, this is super bloody cool! Good work!

10. deusexaethera

I can't believe they tell you what engine you can put in your car. There's a guy here in the US who took a VW Rabbit and installed a Northstar V8 in it. It's bad-ASS.

11. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

nice car but at the same time i'm lookin at those housing and daaammmmnn.

12. dew

dew Banned