My machine has the hiv

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by red, Apr 20, 2009.

1. red

red New Member

My desktop at home has all kinds of bad shit going on. Curious if you guys have any ideas:

I've already formatted the HD the operating system is on and reinstalled the OS (twice), but I still have symptoms, which are:

- Firefox crashes constantly, semi-randomly.
    - any large archives I download, .rar, .zip, or .exe formats will be corrupted (fail CRC checks left and right when I unpack them). However, I seem to be able to download other files with no problems, no matter how large.
    - the machine has blue screened (not a typical bluescreen, a stop message) a couple of times.
    - twice since I've reinstalled the OS, I've had drivers start randomly malfunctioning - usually several at once. I'll reboot the machine and the network and video drivers will be broken and need to be reinstalled

Now the thing that irritates me the most is that I've already formatted my main drive. That said, I have a second drive which I didn't format and I left connected, so the most obvious thing seems to be that the other drive has some shit on it, and I'm getting it back after I format and reinstall the OS. The other alternative is that I have some more serious issue, with the BIOS or something (which I've considered flashing, but haven't yet).

I've scanned both the formatted drive and the other drive with AV software multiple times (I'm using Avira, at the moment), and gotten a clean bill of health.

So my next two moves are probably: 1. Flash the BIOS, and if that doesn't resolve anything, 2. disconnect the second HD and format again. Any other ideas?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

probably bad ram,.. run memtest86+
    test the hdd as well, run chkdsk or download diagnostic tools from drive manufacturer

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Don't flash the bios no reason to. You have bad hardware most likely in your computer. Check out the drive for problems using something like hdtach for drive speed and speedfan that shows smart error. Check the ram out with memtest (ulitmate boot disk) or docmem. If both items check out fine go to the video next. If you have onboard video get the drivers from the manufacture and not windows update. If you have a video card and onboard video disconnect the video card and use the onboard one. If not resort to fresh drivers from the manufacturer. Remove the dial up modem or any other add in cards temporary. Process of elimination basically.

Also its not common but not unheard of that your OS disk might have stale files or corrupted files that can cause your reload to exibit this behavior.

First thing I would check though is drive health

4. red

red New Member

Forgot to mention that. I already ran memtest86+. Clean.

5. red

red New Member

I think the video card is literally the only card I have in there (at work right now, trying to remember). Everything else is on-board. Both the mobo and the video card are about a year old.

Checking the drive is a good idea. It had occurred to me that there might be a problem with the drive. Corrupted sectors in where the pagefile is written could produce a lot of the same problems a memory issue might. HDTach, you said? Any other good utils?

6. jvblackxj

jvblackxj VW4Life

Pull the second drive. Reformat the main drive and see if it runs ok.

If yes, something is wrong with the second unformated drive (Virus, or Hardware)

if no, Your mobo is prob bad. I have had some mobo's do this. You may want to consider adding a PCI NIC to see if the downloading issues is the drivers from you mobo NIC.