My Macbook runs at 80*+C

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by QWIKSNK, Jun 30, 2008.

1. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

and my fan runs at about 6k constantly, the damn thing burns my lap, any way to cool it down?

Ive had it for 2 years now, no apple care.

I opened up the case thinking there is probably shit load of dust in it, but there was hardly any

edit: just downloaded smc fan control, we will see how it helps, does running your fan at a min of 4500 rpms have a negative effect anywhere?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

still running at 78* with safari open, 2 tabs, and Itunes, I restarted about 20 mins ago and haven't had anything else open since

3. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

weird. I'm running Safari, Mail, Adium, and iTunes right now with my macbook on my lap for a while now. mine is at around 60 deg Celsius and 3k rpms.

4. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

I was really thinking it was "normal" to run that hot, because I said something once at the apple store, and they said its fine if they run hot. but then the other day I convinced myself that mine was out of the ordinary, and downloaded Istatpro on mine and my sisters macbooks, hers runs at like 55-60*

I was uploading photos to facebook when it went up to 78* a min ago, I now only have 1 tab of safari open, and im down to 55*, I wonder what will happen if I turn the fan back to the default settings.

It hit 90* when I had Lightroom and PS open earlier (I wasnt really doing much in either, they were just open)

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

is something hogging your cpu? check activity monitor.

6. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

What is your computer sitting on while it is on? Try putting the computer on a hard flat desktop surface and try again? Maybe the air vents are getting blocked? I find that my laptop runs a lot warmer when it is actually on my laptop, or the armrest of the couch, etc...

7. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

open computer, clean off heatsink paste, apply proper amount, fixed. There was a problem in assembly with frist generations, they applied too much heatsink paste to the cpus which caused them to insulate and get super hot. Try the above and let me know. they need a small drop, not a huge gunking.

8. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

any pics of what it looks like? I really dont know to much about the inside of computers.

however, running my fan at 4500 rpms min results in my max temp while working in CS3 at 71*

and when i just have safari open, 55*

Im happy, at least it doesn't burn to the touch anymore

9. Dweezil

Dweezil New Member

I would suggest using some compressed air & cleaning off the fan & heatsink.

10. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

you would have to remove the metal heat sink off the cpu, its not hard but if you never did it , its not a good idea to go blind.
    '
    Follow this guide, should be sufficient to help you. Let me know if you get stuck.

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2006/05/23/thermal-paste-question.html

11. mellowfezzow

mellowfezzow New Member

if my mbp gets to hot i run the fans at 5000rpm, could this potentially harm my computer in the long run?

12. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

you can burn out the fan, but thats about it. Not a big deal, better then burning out a cpu.