My macbook is on the way :noes:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rumble, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

I bought a macbook pro about 3 weeks ago from best buy. I got it home, and it was totally defective. I get getting kernal panics. Well, I brought it back to them to do and exchange, fine, I come home with my second shiney new macbook pro. This one works alot better. I am happy for 2 or three days when, to my dismay, another kernal panic. Ok I thought maybe it was random, but over the next week it did it probably 6 or 7 times. So, I again brought it back to best buy, with a full refund. I made up my mind to see what they would announce at WWDC. Just in case there were any upgrades to the macbook pro line. Not happening.

Anyway, I changed my mind now, and I've ordered a White Macbook 2.0Ghz with a 120GB, and 2 gigs of ram. I can't wait! Shipping started in china, but as of now its in alaska. Estimated Delivery is the 9th.

Im like :noes::noes::noes::noes::bigthumb::noes::noes::noes:

2. Turkey_Sub

Turkey_Sub New Member

Nice man, but you should have upgraded your own memory. But hopefully this one works out better than the two pro's. How come you chose to buy from bestbuy rather than a mac retailer?

3. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

Well actually, I did buy my own memory that was in my second macbook pro. I just took my memory out before returning it. I added the 120 gig HD straight from apple though.

I bought it from bestbuy first well, because I had an impulse to buy that laptop now, and I had an unexpectedly large paycheque :big grin:. In the end I got two defective macbook pros, both of which I was able to exchange and return withen 14 days. So, it worked out well.

This new macbook is comming straight from apple (or actually china) so I'm hoping for a bit more luck then I had last time.

4. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Uh, if you're getting kernel panics, it could be because of the shitty ram you were putting in?

5. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

6. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

I agree.

7. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

yeah, I thought so too, but the first mbp was just buggard. My ram was never in that macbook pro, and it barely worked at all. The second one did have the 2gb of ram, however it would only crash at specific times. I had to be using the wireless internet, and if I wanted to test if it would crash, I would simply download a large file. Before it would be finished downloading, the computer would crash. This happened with or without that new ram.

8. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Is it easy to add the RAM yourself? I plan on upgrading when I get mine, but I've never looked at the inside of a computer... does it void the warrenty? What do I have to take apart?

9. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

10. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

11. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I swapped the RAM and HDD in my MB before I even booted it. No issues what so ever. There are official Apple docs out there detailing how to swap both, so the belief is that it does not void the warranty.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I would advise against installing your own RAM. Its not worth worrying about whether the memory is causing problems later on.

13. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Installing your own RAM is far from problematic. If you use good memory an have a good grasp of troubleshooting techniques you shouldn't have any issues.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Not true. There are all kinds of compatability problems with RAM in Macbooks, with quality ram.

15. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Like what? The only problem I've heard about when it comes to RAM in a MB is the fact that people haven't fully seated the memory, and that ain't the memory's fault.

16. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

:werd: I had to basically push as hard as I physically could to get the ram to seat properly. I think my meomory was crucial... i've been using the shit out of it for a month now and no crashes whatsoever. 2gigs of ram from apple for $400 :ugh: I think I spent about $160 shipped for my 2 gigs.

17. Rev. Johnny Vegas

I was afraid I was going to hurt something I had to push so hard. Normally you don't apply that kind of pressure to electronic components. I have 2GB of Patroit memory in my MB and have had zero crashes and no wierd behaviour.

18. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

:werd: I was very suprised to see just how hard I had to push. My fingers hurt afterwards :o

19. Rev. Johnny Vegas

I grabbed a pair of gloves because I knew that would happen otherwise. :fawk:

20. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

i installed 1gb of kensington ram in my ibook by myself and have never had any problems.