My Living room theatre, student part time job

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by scirio, Jun 29, 2006.

1. scirio

scirio Active Member

I'm posting this becasue I need help on where I should put the center channel, and which budget center channel to get.

Heres my house's living/dining/kitchen area and what Ive done to it all for under maybe $2500 peice by peice and I obviously still need a receiver and a sub.

This is such a peice-together right now, Im using a bookshelf system for my audio and dont have a component stand but thats all coming. Also note I have never donne this before and I AM BROKE and I did all the ork myself including puting the wall behinf the plasma up becasue it was just some nasty 70's wood paneling before. Oh and I did the wiring to, monster cable throughout the walls. Currently controled by Logitech Harmony 520 :bowdown:

Note the awkward location of the plasma, can't brick mount, weak brick.
    [​IMG]
    Front and rear left inwall and in-ceiling klipsch speakers bought when GoodGuys! closed
    [​IMG]
    The right side, these are all in line with the couch btw
    [​IMG]
    Reflection ftl, again, note the bad angle/location. view from couch
    [​IMG]
    Fix, articulating wall mount ftmfw, a steal at $285 shipped, online, store stopped selling for that price, maybe they mispriced it :bowdown:
    [​IMG]
    new view from couch
    [​IMG]
    My connections, I'm only getting stereo sound until I pick a receiver.
    [​IMG]

Thats it, what do you guys think? Be easy I am young, currently jobless unless you count school, not in debt though :x:. I only buy what I can afford and I will only e living here for 3-4 more years.

2. beef316

beef316 New Member

You current set up is NOT ideal for sound. When you get the center channel it should go directly under or above the monitor, but your L, R distances are so disproportionate to the viewing/listening area it probably doesn't matter where you put it.

Oh, and are you using composite video connections on your plasma? :noes: It's cool you got the fancy monitor and the cool mounting arm, but you should, at the very least, get some component video cables for that plasma. Using composites on a plasma is like having a Ferrari and never taking it out of first gear. :cool:

Good job doing the wiring! Looks pretty clean. But I would try to do 2 things:

1) Upgrade your video cable! read the manual of your tivo/cable box and monitor to see what kind of connections are available. Even if you can't buy the fancy expensive cables, any kind of composite, DVI, or HDMI cable is goping to be better than than what you are using now! Check out this link: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/howto-av.html

2) Get the plasma out of the corner so you can get the appropriate home theater experience.

:wavey: Good luck!

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Hang that plasma on the brick! I know you said it's weak brick, but I've got about the weakest brick I've ever seen! I can pick it away with my bare fingers. However, I went to ACE hardware, and the guy recommended me these : They are awsome. Hold several hundred pounds, even in my shitty brick. The trick is getting a screw in there tight without making the surrounding brick crumble. I used a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw to pre-drill the hole. Worked great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. beef316

beef316 New Member

Tapcons Ftw.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

:werd:

I've used tapcons a few times to install plasma tvs on brick. Just make sure you don't over-torque them or they will strip out and hold nothing. I usually put about 6 in if I do brick mounting. 1 in each corner and two in the middle top and bottom.

6. scirio

scirio Active Member

1. Wow, that sounds like pretty weak brick you had there, but this brick is a... I dont even know how to explain it, it will fall forward basically, the whole wall I think its called a false wall. Besides were selling this house in a few years and holes in brick :down:

2.As far as being ideal for sound. It just looks like they are scattered becasue its not symetrical to the room but they are symetrical to themselves (weird) Look at the awkward shape of the room. From where I sit, the best seat is smack dab in between all four speakers. And thats te most comfy spot too.:coolugh:

3. Component is in the wall sort of, I just need jacks.

4. I should have included this picture so you guys can see/advise. I pul out he tv when im watching:

Layout:
    [​IMG]
    this isnt PERFECT but its pretty damn close, just the couch is smaller in the pic.

PS: Tivo ony has an RCA out and a S-video out which looks really bad and dim. I'm waiting for series3 Tivo then its ON! compnent out, cablecard, HD etc.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  7. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

get some fucking banana plugs

8. beef316

beef316 New Member

Wierd, SVideo should be better than the RCA.

9. scirio

scirio Active Member

Indeed. But this is reported from most tivo/plasma users. And why get banana plugs on temp wires, those are like 16 AWG or 14 AWG. All the stuff plugged in is temp.
    So anybody have any suggestions on the center channel? I was thinking of making some kind of bracket that would hold the speaker just below the tv so it too would always point at me. But I dont realy know haow to do that.