My living room setup is nearly complete...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pachanga, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

I will post pics later, but here is the basic rundown.

Pioneer 5080
    KEF IQ6c Center
    KEF IQ8ds Rears
    KEF IQ9 Fronts
    MK Subwoofer
    HD Cable Box
    Marantz 7002 Receiver (just came in yesterday)
    Awaiting PS3 delivery for Blu Ray

I assume I will get some feedback, but not much until I post some pictures of the setup. I spent a bit of time on avforums to help figure out which components to use. And, as is generally the case, I exceed my original budget admirably. :x:

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im not very familiar with KEF but I looked on their site and the Q series looks pretty nice.

3. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

They look great in person as well. I will post pics of the whole setup soon. I am very pleased with the way everything turned out and I think everything is well matched.

4. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

from an implementation, you get a 8/10. ;)

You get an A+ for your display choice. Pioneer Kuro, nuff' said.

You get a B+ for you speaker choice. The KEF's are good, but for the price, you are MUCH better off with some Rockets from av123 (see current sale of 50%). A pair of 850's, an RSC200 center, and some 450's rear, and you would be in good shape.

You get a B+/A- for your reciever. The 7002 is a phenomenal piece, very musical, and I would put it right up there with the new Yamaha series (RX-Vx800's) with their new processors. The Marantz for its price is excellent all around. Well done.

You get a C-/D for your subwoofer though :nono: . The MK is horrible, very marginal subsonic extension, very high THD numbers and just dreadful I'm afraid! If you can still return it, I would do so immediately! Your better options:
    Epik Tower ($1099)
    Epik Conquest ($1599, but it's HUGE)
    Epik Castle ($799)
    Epiksubwoofers.com
    alternatively, you could also go with:
    SVS PB13U ($1499)
    Elemental Designs A7-500
    But honestly, I would stick with the Epik offerings, as they offer unmatchable performance for the price. The Epik Tower, for example, has more displacement and extension than the SVS PB13 ultra, and you save $400 while you are it!

well done, but you HAVE to get rid of that shitty MK sub....and you will be in very good shape!

5. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

Thanks for the feedback ssabipro. It seems as though you are very familiar with av gear. I have actually been very pleased with all of my equipment thusfar. I did see a lot of positive feedback on various speakers on avsforum, particularly Rocket, but I wasn't going to purchase something that I couldn't listen to ahead of time. Originally, I was going for BW 600 series, but I preferred the sound from the KEF and of course the price was much friendlier. With regards to the MK, I need to check the model number (I know it's a 200w with push/pull system), but I am extremely happy with it. It is about 15 years old so I'm pretty sure returning it is out of the question at this point. I am not very familiar with tech specs and your reasons for saying the MK piece is garbage, but I would guess whatever you said is accurate. To my ear/eyes, the whole system is fantastic. The whole install turned out very clean and all components are in another room.

6. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

well, in that case, I guess you can't "return" the sub...:hsd:

I'm sure your system will sound great. My only advice is that you save up and get a real powerful subwoofer down the road. It makes your movie experience so much better, specially with new movies having tons of content under 20hz.

Save up, and get yourself an Epik sub or similar down the road, or better yet, build your own, and you will be in good ass shape.

well done. :)

ps- yeah, I'm pretty familiar with a/v and with subwoofers in particular...I design my own :big grin:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=756408

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

Is that your personal setup? Look like 800 series up front, 600 in the rear, not sure which center and display you use. What other components are those? And I assume you made your own sub...

8. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

yes...those are my twin subs (i posted the link to the build thread for you).

802's up front, swan diva 6.1s rears, DIY center.

9. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

What components and display are you using? Have you heard the KEFs much? I wanted to hear Swan and Rocket before going with the KEF, but that just wasn't in the cards. I am still pretty pleased with my setup, but I'm sure yours must blow mine away. I do have a better sub though :p.

10. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

yes, I've played with KEF a lot.....they are decent and have good imaging. The swan 6.1 is still my favorite of the ID's (internet directs), followed very closely by the rockets.

my components:
    [​IMG]

11. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

That is very impressive. I can't even imagine the bass in your system. Maybe I shouldn't bother with pictures of my setup. I feel inadequate.... :bowdown:

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I always wondered how well those Behringer EQ's work and sound.
    I assume pretty quiet if you're using one on that setup.

No surprise that you would run a Crown amp for the subs.

No fuckin around, mate.

13. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

:naughty:

14. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Holy shit. Makes my poor little V-2B look like a toy. It's strange though, M&K doesn't look to have changed up their drivers much in all these years. Mine is ancient and looks pretty much identical to the current crop :dunno: