My linksys router keeps dropping my connection, any ideas?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L, Jul 1, 2004.

1. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L I live in an igloo

Well I've have a linksys 4-port router for a few years now, no problems at all. Over the last week, the router for no reason drops my internet connection and refuses to re-connect for about an hour or so. Once running the internet is fine, until it randomly drops it again.

To help solve it, I upgraded the firmware to the newest version, but that hasn't seemed to help.

Called up my DSL service to see if it was a problem on their end, they said they have had no problems and they won't give support due to me being behind a router. (he did however say that if I disconnected the router and went from one computer to modem and still had problems, they would help.)

So I disconnected the router and am running just one machine in my house until I find the problem (internet now runs fine so it must be on my end).

I had the router setting on "keep alive, redial every 30 seconds" instead of "dial on demand, disconnect after 5 minutes of inactivity".

Once I am kicked off, if I go to "status" button, it just says "connecting" for a few seconds and then "can not connect to PPoE server" comes up.

Log and password have been checked numerous times by me, I've tried re-setting the router, powering on/off, powering the modem on/off etc.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I have the same problem mostly with my linksys befsr41. except it only does it it i have more than 1 computer hooked up for some weird reason. but if i hit the reset button on the router the connection comes back.

3. joeychgo

joeychgo Member

DO the reset......... If that doesnt work, call linksys - they have 24hr phone support free.

Worst case, CompUSA and buy a new one.

4. YiNG_YaNG

YiNG_YaNG Guest

you're a fucking retard. why should he have to buy another one when he already spent over $100 on this one? :slap:

i have the same problem... i told linksys about my problem and they can't do anything about it.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It could just be a faulty router. It's as simple as that. How old is it? Does Linksys have any kind of warranty?

If it works, WITHOUT the router, chances are it's a setting on it or something is wrong with it.

joeychgo is actually right, you can buy routers so cheap now. You can go and pick up one for like $40. And even half of that if you look on Ebay.

6. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L I live in an igloo

Well the reset button doesn't help when the internet goes down, so I'm thinking it may be something wrong with the router.

I woke up this morning and I couldn't connect to the internet at all, router or no router. Calling tech support they were useless in helping, basically said to call up their maintenance people to come check the line/dsl modem.

I re-hooked the router back up, no internet. Go for lunch, come back and the internet is working :dunno: I have made no changes to the settings either, which is sort of a piss-off becuase it'll probably die sometime this afternoon and be out for a few hours.

So I guess my next step is to call up their maintenance line just to make sure its not the modem/line. If those are fine, maybe its time to invest in a new router.

(turns out this one is the linksys befsr41, had it for 4-5 years probably now)

Maybe its time to upgrade to a wireless router :x:

7. lilgonz

lilgonz The Great Gonzo, Smile it'll make you feel better OT Supporter

Had the same problem, took it back and purchased a netgear, no problems since

8. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

This seems to be the typical MO of Linksys's lately. Take it back and get either a netgear or a D-Link.

9. oasis

oasis Guest

Same problem with my befsr41, but it had been working fine for almost a year until a couple months ago. I too upgraded the firmware and it seemed to be fixed, but now it's back to its old ways. Usually I just unplug the power for a few secs. and then plug it back in and I get my internet back. Also, I logged into the router when it was down and noticed in the "Status" tab that all the WAN info was cleared. When I clicked on DHCP renew the WAN info resetted to normal and I my internet was back.

10. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

Upgrading the firmware should always be done if possible and available.