My Life. The Beginner.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by greencurlers, Oct 28, 2003.

1. greencurlers

greencurlers Guest

Hello everyone. I'm new to the OT and figured it was time to stop reading and start posting. Thought I'd start with the Power Sports & Motorsports forum for a particular reason.

I'm about 20 years old now, weigh around 190lbs and need a means of transportation other than public transportation. This of course leads me to the idea that I'd love to finally get myself a motorcycle. Had always really thought of Motorbikes and what not to be intensely awesome. So I figured I could kill both stones (posting and getting a means of transportation) with what I've got here.

This is the story of me. The guy who's never owned a car; ridden the bus for who knows how long. I'll be posting the journey of me, the guy who has no idea how to ride a motorcycle, don't really even know where to go from here. The slow progress of getting to the point of cruising the highways at max speed on a sexy new motorcycle. In other words, I just feel like sharing my own personal experience with getting into the world of motorcycles.

But at any rate, OT rocks.

*As of yesterday*
    What I do know so far is this: gotta call up my local MSF teacher and schedule some training sessions and what not. Got the numbers and everything, just got to get up early enough to call them. Lol.

2. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

Considering you have no vehicular experience I HIGHLY sugguest you start on a something <500cc.

If you're looking for a sportbike checkout the Suzuki GS500F (new fairing model for 2004) or the Kawasaki Ninja 250 or Ninja 500.

3. rider

rider New Member

Welcome to your new wild and crazy life! :wavey: Have fun and BE SAFE!

4. greencurlers

greencurlers Guest

I gave my local MSF instructors and found out that they won't have any instruction classes until February. I'm hoping that's not how every instructor school is around here. Hmm, time to do some more calling around.

5. rider

rider New Member

Unfortunately, that sounds like my experience when I was trying to enroll on the MSF class. The next openings that they had available were usually 3 months down the road. Good luck and good thinking of taking the MSF class first before anything else. :wavey:

6. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Where are you located?

7. greencurlers

greencurlers Guest

Arg, called a few more places and it looks like I won't be doing any learning until February. Blah. But in the mean time, I'll be saving all the money I can, so far I have roughly say $400. In a couple weeks I'll have double that. I've read a lot of places that people have been able to purchase their first bikes (nothing fancy) for around $600 and sell it back for near the same price. Hopefully I can do the same.

I'd imagine that in the mean time I could save money up and purchase a motorcycle? Though, I could be wrong.

I'm over down in the Bay Area of California.

8. rider

rider New Member

where are you in the bay area?

if i were you, i'd wait until after the class to buy a motorcycle. it sucks to wait, but they show you the basics and make you feel more comfortable on the bike.

do you know much about fixing up bikes? if you get an old beater bike, you might get one that needs a lot of work, more than you expect, so it won't be too much fun to see that POS bike in your garage day in and day out without getting to ride at all. i had to get something nice and new so i wouldn't worry much about it.

9. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Always.
    If you're interested in learning how to ride (not just to look cool in front of Starbucks), check out www.bayarearidersforum.com.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  10. greencurlers

greencurlers Guest

Most definately I'll wait on buying a bike. No point in rushing the unecessary.

Unforunately I don't know too much about motorcycles and their inner workings. I suppose in the mean time I can do research and whatever else about how they work.

Thanks for the link Wolf, I'll be checkin' that out every now and then (hilarious acronym). And I don't know how you knew my intent for getting a motorcycle ;)

11. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

hahah...I love how Everyone relates motorcycle posers with Starbucks. We do the same thing here in Vancouver.

Would you like a Latte with your R1?

Up here though, our motorcycling schools are normally closed for 3 months during the winter. Best thing to do is talk to the locals and get their feedback on which schools are good. Locally, we have a school where all the instructors ride sportbikes and Supermotards, so its obvious that if you want to learn how to ride one of those, you should go there.

As with what many others have said in the past, starting off with a *<500 is your best bet. The power that is produced in the larger cc's would in alot of senses be too threatening to people that have never ridden before. I'd also highly agree with buying the bike after the course. As well as buy your gear first to ensure you have all the required gear. Spend the money on the gear, not the first bike.