SRS my life is fucked up now

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Franco, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Franco

Franco New Member

dayrhythm completely destroyed, I sleep at 4-5am and wake up 2-3pm.

in the nite I feel very much motivated to do something in my life, to complete studies, to just do things. but when I wake up, its soo late I feel very unmotivated and that the day has already passed me by. so what I do is sit and take the longest of time to do even the most mundane tasks. until evening, when I find motivation and start doing things, but this happens rarly, mostly I just waste my time.

what do I do? I want to sleep at 12 atleast, and wake up 8am, but I just cant sleep that early. and I cant wake up early in the morning, cant find the motivation when Im in bed hearing the alarm go off. in the morning, feels like I have nothing to really wake up for.
    puh.

2. Potski

Potski what?

Tone it back an hour or two a week. An hour before your target time stop watching tv/computer and turn the main light off, read for a bit, ???, profit.

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I find reading before sleep really helps me. Audio books work for one of my friends. We pick "good" books. We talk back and forth about it too. Every night at 9 p.m. I get in bed, and most of the time I don't fall asleep until 11, but turning down is very important and that's what books do for me.

Watching a movie before bed, or even TV, doesn't work for me. Eating before bed doesn't either. I find a brief meditation before bed or prayer helps set the tone for the next day. I usually think about things I want or am going to choose, regardless of how unrealistic it is. I usually find things "come to me" just as a matter of setting aside time to think about them. I spend usually about 2-5 mins doing that. I'm not one of those people who needs 30 mins to relax.

I also have a fan turned on next to my bed. It drowns out sound, and I don't keep it turned right on me usually.

The next day when I wake up, I have a notepad on my desktop that I open. It has a list of things that I do in order. I break it up into three sections. A, B, C. A is things that need to be done in the immediate future or "now" They are things which are important and need to be done immediately. B are things that need to be done eventually. They're important, but not immediate. C is for things that are neither important nor immediate, but things I'd like to "try" to get done. I wake up, relax for a few minutes by coming online. Usually 15-30 mins, then I wash dishes, sweep the kitchen floor (even when it's not dirty), clean the cat litter, floss, brush my teeth, cut my nails, then I come online and I do some basic studying, like Math, or Languages, or Music. I'm disabled, so I "choose" my activities by setting goals -- even small ones, and I do them in order to both do what I need to do, but to also feel productive.

I also exercise each day. I ride a stationary bike and play x-box while I'm riding the bike. Time passes by very quickly. An hour goes by as though it were 15 mins.

I play my guitar etc. Try doing this. Sometimes our problems are simply a matter of structure.

Maybe this will work, maybe it won't. I don't "try" to go to sleep. Try some melatonin when you first go to turn down. Give yourself at least 1 hr to get in bed, before the time you actually plan to sleep. This helps a lot. I wake sometimes as early as 5 a.m. or as late as 8 or 9 a.m. depending on how sick I am.

Sometimes I have the occasional severe day where I can't wake up until noon, but that's when I'm really ill.

Hope this helps a little. Motivation may improve by altering your circadian rhythm.

4. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

When that happened to me a while back I would just stay awake from the rest of the day and go to bed around 2. Wake up around 10 then go to bed around 12.

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Sure you can, you just don't want to. You can't tell me you have been on this sleep schedule your entire life...

Do you work/go to school?

Anyways, like someone else said, start going to bed an hour earlier each night. Even if you don't fall asleep, start actually getting up an hour earlier too.

6. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

read a book as stated above

7. Franco

Franco New Member

I study, but its distance/online learning so I dont have to attend lectures or anything.

The thing is, when I do work extra, which is one day a week when they call me in, I can wake up at 6 am that fast, because then I have a good reason to wake up and do things, I know people expect me at work... but when I dont work, I just cant. This morning I set the clock to 8.30am, I slept around 4, and I could wake up. I got ouf of the bed, turned of the alarm, and felt so unmotivated, so sort of unnecessary to get up that early, I just went back to sleep. I was up that early and I felt I dont really need to, so slept till 3pm, until I cold not sleep anymore, and then I felt stupid...

Ill try reading books.

8. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

My advice is golden, so really think it over.