SRS My life change

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rage, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Rage

Rage OT Supporter

I'm not sure I actually need any replies to this, perhaps some advice would not go astray but I mainly wanted to post this because I needed to tell someone so I would stick to it or at least give it a go...

I'm sitting here at my computer, with my PS3 next to me, $600 Digital Camera, Nintendo DS and hundreds of dollars worth of CDs and DVDs, my Wii, and my $700 guitar feeling guilty about owning them. Outside I can see my Turbo car which has quite a few issues (few thousand dollars to fix up) and I feel guilty about all of them. I feel guilty that I haven't used them in the ways I told myself I would and they have not made me happy. I am $10,978.08 in debt. I live at my parent's house.

Just last week I got back from Japan, a trip that cost me about $6600 all up, and I saved most of that money in the last few weeks/months before I went away.

I finished highschool in 2004, went to college in 2005 and did almost nothing, dropped out. I am 21 years old and a male. I am not a virgin but my successes with women are few and far between. I am undoubtably middle class - another reason I feel guilty, because my mother worked so hard to raise her younger siblings when their parents died and then raised my sister and I. My sister used all the opertunities given to her, I squandered them away to where I am now.

I work two casual jobs, one as a Projectionist for a major cinema chain, the other for a netflix style company. I'm good at the Projectionist job, being fairly technicly minded but I can't make myself excell at it because I can't force myself to work hard for more than short spurts.

What I want to do, is pay off all my debt by the end of Febuary (do-able, just requires some dedication) and go back to college to study Arts/Languages doing Japanese and Spanish. If they won't let me back in straight away I want to go to community college (we call it TAFE) and then use my results there to go to College. I didn't do very well in highschool (60.05 out of a possible 99.95 final score) but I know i'm fairly smart, if only I learn to study (literally I can only remember one time in the whole of highschool that I sat down to do study and didn't do something else)

I am not fat, but I am definetely not buff. Since the week before my 20th birthday (that long ago!) I have been telling myself I should lift weights, ect. I have never once found the motivation to do so and I can see myself getting a beer belly. I get chest pains several times a week, i'm assuming due to my poor diet and undoubtably high blood pressure coupled with an extreme lack of exercise. When I don't have work in the mornings I usually end up sleeping until 3pm or so.

One of my friends from highschool is buying a house, and a few of our group of friends will be living in it. When this comes I want to be 100% debt free so I don't have to worry about being short of money each week.

So the areas I need to fix:

- Financial Health

- Physical Health

- Educational Health

Only because right now I feel like a complete failure to myself. I can keep an optimistic light to the outside world ("oh i'm just having a bit of fun taking a while off college to do my own thing" ect) but I know that i'm just lying.

My plan is to pay most of my pay each week (minus what I need to pay bills, ect) in to my debt. I don't have much of a life as it is so this won't impact too much on it. When the University open days are on I'm going to go to all of them and ask what I need to do to get in, be it community college or apply straight in. I will apply to them all and see what happens.

Starting tommorow I'm going to get up at 8am and go for a walk for one hour. Then Monday night after work I will do the same. A little bit of exercise every day to build up to lifting and getting brolly. I can afford a gym membership when I have paid off half my debt. I will not be buying lunch/dinner when i'm at work, i'll start making food at home and taking it to re-heat. Also I won't drink the free soda I get at work every day - I don't want to give it up but I know drinking several litres a day is not good for me.

Tonight, I'm going to clean up my shithole of a room and make a list of all the individual things i've been putting off, so I can start ticking them off one by one.

That ended up being a LOT longer than I expected it to be - it took me 20 minutes to write! I don't need any replies but whatever you wanted to add might help, I'll try and update this thread to keep me motivated, we'll see, wish me luck.

- Rage

Edit: I just spent a few minutes staring at the Submit button thinking if I really wanted to do this :rofl:

2. Detonator

Detonator If you are scared half to death twice, Do you die? OT Supporter

Hmmm for a second there I thought I typed that, I hear you man I'm pretty bad for impulsive purchases that I think will "last" me to the next best thing. But I'm very similar I buy a new game almost every 2nd week play it for a few hours and go back to OT, old games etc. I hope it works out for you trying all those new changes. Just wish I could get myself to be motivated enough to do some as well heh.

3. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

sounds like a good plan good luck

4. spitfire

spitfire New Member

If i were you id forget about moving into your mates house,youve got alot debt for 21 year old,you shouldnt put yourself under so pressure the pay off your debt,you have to even a small bit of money for yourself,also you might need more money when you get back to college!Also head down the pharmacy and some vitamins,that might give you abit more of a boost!Good luck and stay with it!

5. redna

redna New Member

That's pretty much how i felt up until a little while back (a few weeks maybe).... I'm still struggling with the procrastination and lack of application thing though.

6. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Look into teaching overseas if you like the Japanesse culture/other international scenes. If you can pull off an arts degree/get a good enough connection with an agency, you'll be able to head over there, teaching english and making money.

Good luck. And stay strong on yourself.