GUN My liberal mom's an idiot v.OC

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Laurel, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

So I got my CPL in June and bought my 642 at the same time. I made the mistake of telling my ultra liberal mom about it and she got really upset. Her main argument against carrying a gun is "I don't think you need to live in fear." Which is pretty much completely why I'm carrying the gun - so I don't need to live in fear... but whatever. The issue got dropped and we haven't spoken about it since. When she's around I'm careful to keep my gun out of plain sight and be sure to put it on in private so she can pretend it doesn't exist.

So for Christmas she got me a pistol rug with a gun shaped cutout inside so it's sort of molded, but she got me a "full size semi auto" shaped one. :rofl: I guess that was her attempt at being "cool" with it. But she also got me a can of pepper spray "So I don't need to carry my gun all the time." Whatever, pepper spray can be a good thing, I could keep it in my car or something... But it's a "fogging" pepper spray. I pointed out to her that if I spray the bad guy and I'm downwind of them, I'll probably get the brunt of the blast. :mamoru: Oh well. :hsd:

[​IMG]

What should I do with it? I'm afraid to use it! I'd rather shoot someone and not experience OC in my eyes than spray them with this and get blowback!:noes:

2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

:rofl:

my gf is afraid of spraying herself, too.

she's in California, btw :mamoru:

3. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Go to the beach and start spraying it into the wind. Everyone should experience OC sometime.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

makes a good reactive target

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I love it

So, don't live in fear and don't carry a gun - but in case you may have a little fear, here is a can of mace.

6. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Sounds like your mom is actually making an effort to compromise her beliefs with yours. Yeah, she's a total idiot for that.

7. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Shoot it with your 642

8. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I appreciate the interest in compromise, but it's not really so much compromise as "put your gun away in this nice case that I bought you and use something less effective that all liberals seem to think takes down bad guys just as effectively as a few bullets."

She's a total idiot for standing in the store and not thinking that if there's any type of breeze, I'm going to experience just as much OC as my assailant, putting us on equal ground.

9. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

Keep it in a drawer, re-gift it to her as the loving child you are, see if you can return it for store credit and buy more rounds.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl:

Liberals don't have the capacity for logic, remember?

11. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Foggers suck shit...and don't keep it in your car

12. johan

johan Active Member

Make nice nice with mom, she's trying to do that with you.

As far as oc goes, at some point everyone becomes an adult and makes rational, measured choices for themselves, despite opinions to the contrary.

So mom doesn't agree. Just smile and acknowledge that we'll remain civil & loving, but that we disagree on this point...

be kind but firm. You are in control of your life, not her.

As for her beliefs, your mom may not have access to the facts that you do.

No doubt your family is a loving one, one that shielded her from some of the harsh realities of the world.
    Insular folks tend to believe that firearms = evil, since they unknowingly don't realize that others have afforded them the cushy peaceful world they've enjoyed thus far.

13. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

atleast she is trying, even if she doesn't really understand.

14. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Oddly enough, she has a shotgun that she asked us to help her purchase a little over a year ago because she lives by herself in a rural area.

She doesn't understand my need for guns, but there's no point in having a constant debate regarding them, I'm not going to change her mind and she's not going to change mine.

I didn't tear her apart and tell her that it's dumb, I said thank you, it's very nice, I'll be sure to keep it with me.

It's very sweet of her, but some basic logic in the purchasing decision would have yielded a better purchase and I'd be significantly more likely to use it if it wasn't some fog shit.

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Did you ever think of just talking to her about it? Its likely she has no clue what she got, she may have even been asking a sales person what she should get. My mom would have zero clue about what a fog vs. anything else would be and would likely just ask a clerk who probably has just as little of a clue.

She probably doenst even know and a simply conversation with her that explains what she got, why its probably not the best to have and what she should have gotten would likely have ended up in a receipt as to where she got it and your ability to return it and get what you can use.

Why just assume she's an idiot cause she got this. Give her a little credit and thank her for trying. Instead of calling her an idiot, give her a little information and get what you can use. I'll bet she's very open to making sure you get what you need.

You dont seem to think very highly of your mother. I would never call my mom an idiot for getting something she probably has no clue about and hoping she was getting me something I could use.

16. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Yes. That.

17. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

/

18. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Whoa.:ugh:

Perhaps I was a little extreme in the title. :dunno: I don't think she's an idiot all the time, but made a dumb purchasing decision. I pointed out that it's a fogger and if there's any wind I'll likely wind up with OC in my eyes too. She looked at me and back at the package then said "oh, you're right. Shoot. I didn't realize it was a fogger." I'm not one to be picky about gifts, but the name of the product is Jogger FOGGER. She didn't offer a receipt so I could return it. My mom constantly makes bad purchasing decisions and I thought that this one was funny and that I would share this with WMD.

My mom isn't very concerned with me getting what I "can use" because I already have a BETTER alternative in the form of a small pistol. She doesn't like that so she bought me something less effective that will in all likelihood effect me nearly as much as whoever I would theoretically use it on. This is really mostly about her feeling good and keeping dangerous deadly weapons out of the hands of her daughter who might actually use them on someone who's attacking her. My mom has a tendency to buy people gifts for what she wants them to like or be like, not necessarily what they want. She bought Market Garden turkey head silhouettes instead of person silhouettes because she'd rather that he shoot turkeys than humans. She bought me the OC because she'd rather I used that instead of a gun for self defense. Last year she bought Market Garden dress socks because she thought he needed to dress up more for work.

19. Silver96Firebird

Silver96Firebird New Member

pepper spray reminds me oft this vid:

http://www.risks-inc.com/videos/Pepper-spray-demo.wmv

Edit - Just remember that it's nice to get nice gifts, but the real idea behind the season is to show people you care about them. You mom obviously does care about you and tried to get something she thought you would like. You should just say "thanks" and if you don't like it, you don't need to use it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  20. johan

johan Active Member

Pepper Fogger :rofl: maybe the idea is to make yourself unappealing to the attacker.

Sort of like that advice they gave to women who were being sexually assaulted: vomit on yourself and/or soil yourself... repels attackers interest in you.

21. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

My parents are ultra-conservative, and even they are antsy about my choice to carry a gun.
    I mean, they've come to respect it and all, but they have no problem voicing their concerns and basic disdain for the idea.

I just simply don't care, and they know that. Nothing that do or say will ever change my decision to protect myself and my family.
    Nothing they ever did or said swayed me into the decision either.

As for the spray, just keep it in your car somewhere and at least it will be there if you really need it. As a... back up.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  22. cent

cent New Member

pics of your mom?

23. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

and lol @ thread title grammar

24. What about it?

25. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

"mom's an idiot"

isn't that possessive, the mom owns the idiot?