My lats wont grow, they wont get stronger, and they don't get sore.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Never have and based off of my experience, they never fucking will either.

I've had people who know what they're doing watch my form and they say everything looks fine. What am I doing wrong? No matter how much weight I use (a lot or a little), I never feel anything in my lats during or after working them out. They also haven't changed size while the rest of my muscles have grown and gotten stronger. The left lat is the worst though...not only has it not grown, but it's noticably smaller than the right one.

Is it possible that even while my form is fine that I'm using other muscles to do the work?

#'s for you guys to go by...btw I've been working out for 10 or 11 months so far and these #'s haven't really changed at all (in fairness, I did cut for ~3 months).

Bent over rows ~95lb BB
    Lat pull-downs ~150lb
    Pullups ~can't do any, so I use 100lb of help on the machine and I weigh ~200
    Seated cable rows ~150lb

Help :hs:

Edit: I know how pathetic those #'s are, which is why I'm asking for help.

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Dieting or Bulking? Where do you fail when you do thosse workouts?

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Lat Shrugs are pretty good for upper back thickness

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

For the barbell row is it 95 pounds plus the barbell. Or 95 all together?

5. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

I assume he isnt a dumbass and its 95lbs "all together"

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

whats your typical back workout? exercises, sets and reps

7. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

lol

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Oh ok. Yea that's kinda bad. I did bb row for my first time today and I did like 125 all together. That was after alot of other back excersises. I'm sure it will go up though. I consider mine bad as well.

The only thing I can reccomend for him is to do 5x5 for them. Try to increase the weight every week or every 2 weeks. If you want you can also get in a 1x10 at the end.

9. Phineas Q Stork

i killed the last person who laughed at me

10. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Did you laugh him to death:rofl:

11. Phineas Q Stork

:( I didn't really kill anyone :(

12. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I bulked for the first like 7 months, then cut for 3, and I've been bulking for the past 2. I've never really seen any sort of improvement in my lats. As for where I fail...I dont know...sometimes it feels like my arms are giving, sometimes it feels like my upper back is giving.

The 95lbs for BB rows are altogether, but that's with different form (feet close, overhand wide grip, back almost parallel to the ground). If I keep my feet wide, grip medium-wide, and use an underhand grip, I can row ~155lb.

As for routine, I did a 4 day split (legs, back, chest, arms) for the first 7 months I bulked, then I did the modified Bill Starr during my cut, then I switched to the 4 day split again up until a week ago, which is when I switched to Arnold's beginner routine. (change routines much?)

My typical back day during the ~9 months or so of my split looked like this (I added what I started at and what was most recent when doing that split):

Deadlifts 95lb->295lb
    Bent-over rows 65lb->135lb
    Pullups (wide grip) 120lb assistance->100lb assistance
    Seated cable rows 110lb->150lb
    Seated lat pulldowns 100lb->140lb

Laughable gains in everything except the deadlift and maybe the bent-over row category.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  13. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Your deadlift is alright. You could bring that up a bit. However your pullups suck ass. 100 lbs assistance. That means that since you weigh 200 pounds you can only pull up like 100 pounds of weight. Try to work on that.

14. hootpie

hootpie New Member

My deadlift has been stuck at 295lb since the beginning of my cut...I'm hoping to work past that very soon.

I've been trying to work on my pullups, but it seems as though no matter how many I do, with how much assistance, or whatever set/rep scheme, it just wont improve.

15. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

If you could do like 5 without assistance then I would reccomend a pullup bar for your home. But since you need 100 pounds!! I dunno. Anyone else got ideas?

16. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

stop transitioning between cutting and bulking and make up your mind what you wanna do.

look at diet/sleeping schedule

put in more effort

try a different routine

17. tkluu

tkluu New Member

how often do you work your lats?

18. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Is bulking for 7 months, cutting for 3, then bulking for another 6 or so months really that bad? I don't want to bulk for 2 years, then cut for 1 year :rofl:

Diet and sleeping schedule are fine. Everything else is getting stronger/growing, so I know it's not a diet/sleeping issue.

Putting in more effort...I can always do that, but it seems like I have been to no avail.

As for the routine, I've tried 3 :dunno:..I just never feel anything in my lats. I'm thinking I'm somehow using other muscles to do the work of my lats, but is that really feasible?

At least once a week, but now it'll be at least 2x a week. My goal is to turn my lats into a strong point.

19. Phineas Q Stork

Some things that have helped me

1) lats twice a week, even if the second session is just 3-4x8-10 on another day
    2) actually concentrate on the super gay mind/muscle connection on cable rows and lat pulldowns
    3) snatch grip deadlifts
    4) fairly high volume, i used to just do like 2 sets of pulldowns and rows and then 2 or 3 of pulldowns and never saw many results

I dont have eye popping lats or anything, but they at least stick out further than my lovehandles now

20. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

I don't think it's a bad thing that you only cut for a couple months, but if you aren't satisfied with where you stand then there is practically no point to cut. You can definitely be doing your lats wrong, most people will pull with their biceps, I personally like to pull my shoulders back first when doing rowing movements.

What are your other numbers (squat, bench, shoulder press, etc)?

Your numbers look weak and would justify you not having any lats. I think you need to get working on a strength routine and bump those numbers up

21. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i think my lats are one of my best aspects. here's what i usually do. lats 1-2 times a week, usually alternating between heavy day and light day. for heavy day try to do 4-6 reps with weighted pull-ups or the lat pull down machine. make sure you have a grip thats about as wide as the bends are in the pull-down bar and really focus on pulling with your lats throughout the whole rep, with full range of motion. most often i go to failure with each set and take a good rest inbetween.

then on light day i usually do unweighted pull-ups for about 20 reps. usually do 3 sets, although i do them to failure so they die pretty quick, like 20, 15, 12 or something like that. do some close grip chins to kill them off. i usually mix it up with a few other lat exercises here and there, but really it's all about the pull-up and pull-downs and having good intensity, make sure on heavy day you're doing more weight; even if it's just a little more.

they are definately muscles that are going to need alot of calories to grow though, and work.

22. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I had to cut...I had way too much fat on my body ~20%

My squat is at like ~150lb, but that's because of a knee injury. Right around the beginning of my cut I was up to 205lb (after squatting for just 4 months). My bench was also up to 5x90lb with DB's at the beginning of my cut on the Bill Starr routine. Shoulder press was at 60lb DB's as well.

The form on the 5x90lb DB bench press was questionable IMO. I don't think I was going down far enough...right now I'm really working on ROM and form and I usually do 60lb DB's.

23. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

It could just be a weak bodypart genetically. My lats grow without much work, but my biceps don't want to grow no matter what I do them. They get stronger, I can do weighted chins, but they don't get bigger.

I'm not saying use genetics as an excuse, I'm just saying...

24. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

just focus on the part you are using and pull with your elbows. You don't need to hit them 2x a week for them to grow. All you need to do is progress in weight with your lifts. It doesn't really matter what split your on.

25. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I actually think yes, you do need to be hitting each muscle group at least 2x weekly. One day a week isn't enough training stimulus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.