My latest overclock... With a question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GooeyGus, Jan 30, 2008.

1. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

OK, so I finally got my new ram and was able to begin playing with the clocks a bit more. So far I'm prime95 stable at 3.3ghz. If you remember from before, I was at 3.15ghz while undervolting in the bios, but my 667 ram was limiting me from going any higher. While I was able to boot and run the computer seemingly fine at 3.3 undervolted, it wouldn't pass prime95 so I put it up to the stock voltage (my cpu vID is 1.3) and all was fine. The Bios reads voltage as a steady 1.28.

So, back to the question at hand: I'm now running my ram (G.Skill DDR800 1gb x 2)with a multiplier of 2.4. which comes out to 880mhz. The only other lower option would actually underclock the ram and put it around 740. So my question is, does anyone know how far this ram can be pushed and be safe? Everything seems fine at 880mhz (1.8v) but I don't want to burn it up either...

Also, what kind of FSB speeds can the p35 chipset handle before you start running into trouble? (GA-p35-ds3l)

[​IMG]

:naughty: (idles at ~28c, under load never goes above 45ish with zalman 9700 at under half speed)

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

You're running your DDR2-667 RAM at 880Mhz effective clock at stock voltage, what's going to burn up?

If it's really and truly stable there, minus well start tightening up those timings and see if it holds up.

3. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Its DDR2-800.... the old stuff I had was 667 and was holding me back from bigger OCs so i got this stuff :hs:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That 5:6 FSB:RAM clock ratio isn't doing you any favors. You want those numbers to be as small as possible, preferably with a 1 on the left side; 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, and so on. What the 5:6 ratio means is that the RAM and FSB clocks only line up every 30 clock ticks, which limits how often the motherboard and RAM can exchange data.

(The same rule applies to FSB:CPU, though you can usually bank on that ratio being 1:x by default. Just avoid using multipliers with a .5 on the end.)

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

As long as you are not overvolting too much, there is no risk for damage.
    Most G Skill ram runs at 1.7v to 2.1v.

fsb wall varies

6. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

So would I be better off with ~760mhz 1:1 or 880mhz with the 5:6?

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

why do you want to downclock your ram?
    there is no point in running 1:1 unless you are running more than 400FSB.

8. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

I figured I wouldn't want to :dunno::dunno: but the other dude was saying that the ratio was slowing me down.

I dont know too much about ram to be honest. Everything else in the computer, yes, ram -- not so much.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

What he said is true, but note that you have a quad core. That's 4 cores accessing 1 bus.

For us Intel quad core owners, memory bandwidth (RAM speed) is more important than memory latency (FSB/RAM ratio and RAM timings).
    You will benefit more by having the fastest ram speed possible, regardless of FSB/RAM ratio.

It's different with other platforms.
    AMD platforms use short pipelines. You get best performance if the FSB is synchronized with RAM for instant access and less latency. This is where the 1:1 ratio scenario is best.

Intel platforms use longer pipelines plus a memory controller in the NB to optimize RAM access.
    Intel C2Ds, obviously, are not bandwidth whores like the C2Qs. Best performance is gained by the highest ram speed and lowest latency combination.

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

btw, did wayne post yet?

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm thinking probably not. There would have been a stickied thread a mile long by now.

12. deusexaethera

You'd be better off trying to get the slower component to run faster.

13. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

I cant get this thing stable at 3.4ghz.... (ddr2 907mhz) It will start and run fine, but after about 10 mins in prime95 I'll get an error. Its at 1.32v right now... maybe it needs some more juice :dunno:

14. deusexaethera

Higher voltage can help the circuits change state faster, but it will also generate an assload more heat. Keep in mind that the wires you're running that voltage through are about the width of a virus, and take it slowly.