My Latest Detail - 2006 Subaru Impreza STi (black)

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Buck-O, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Seeing the Evo-VIII detail thread inspired me to finally post mine.

I seem to be a master of Subaru paint as of late. My last 4 details have all been Subies. But thats fine, becuase i seem to have found a really good combo for it that has yet to let my down.

Anyway, new car, jsut a few thousand miles on it. The owners initial ignorance, and the dealer had installed a FAIR amount of swirls into the paint. It was so bad you couldent even see the metal flake in the pigment. The paint was also in suprisingly good condition contaminant wise. So i didnt have to clay.

Then i did my usual Subaru paint recipe. Start with Optimum Polish ona Megs Red cutting pad. Then switch to Megs #80 on a Megs Yellow Polishing pad. Then to Vanilla Moose on a Megs Yellow Polishing pad. ANd then finally, for this car i used a sample of Megs #21 i got a couple months back, with a Megs finishing pad. And let me just say, WOW! Thats some preaty hot stuff. Of course its nothing like Acrylic Jett (which i will be trying out here soon) in terms of making the flake explode out like its on steriods, but it did really pull the subtle greenish blue metalic flake out of the Subarus paint, and really made it pop better then anything else ive used to date. But still left a good wet look on the paint like EX w/carnuba. Next quick clean up i do on the car, ill hit it with some VM again, then ill be doing #21, and topping with EX w/carnuba and see what kind of results those two layered together gets. Plus it left a really nice smooth finished surface, and much like NXT, LOVES to be spread extra super thin across the paint, and worked in fairly well. And of course, it all wipped of with the greatest of ease, as ive found the case with most Megs products.

Anyway, here are the shots. I dont currently have any full car shots, becuase i havent gone through and edited his licence plate yet. And unfortunately none of the shots show off the metal flake. As we where running out of sunlight, and he didnt have his polorizer for his camera. And as it was his camera, i didnt have an oportunity to manupulate where the focus of the picture was taken, so i kinda had to walk him through detail specific photography 101. So shots like the direct sun on the hood, are way off to the side of the body panel instead of dead center, like i would do it. But, none the less, the pics speak for themselves.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Looks pretty good from what I can see in the pics. I haven't used #21 yet but I have heard nothing but excellent things about it. I just have so many LSPs right now I can't really justify buying any more to try until I use up some of what I have.

3. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Looks very good from the pics, nice work!

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I hear ya. So much emphasis is drawn to the LSP's out there, that you cant help but have a running list of a dozen or more products, at any given time, for any particular situation.

I actually got this #21 from the west coast regional distrobution rep. We kinda bumped into each other, so he sent me a care package. And in it was two 8 oz. sample bottles of megs #21. So ive got plenty of it to use for this season. WHich i likely imagine i will, becuase it kick serious ass.

Im really suprised at how it brought out the flake, and kept a good mixture of reflective, and wet look. I think it has one of the better finished looks to it. The only real question is how durable is it? I guess we will find out soon enough.

In the next couple of weeks, ill be doing another quick detail on teh car. And hopfully we will ahve some fuller light, and he will have the proper filters to get the metalic to pop out of the car. Becuase really, the pictures dont do it justice.

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Thank you. As i said above. Hopfully withen the next couple of weeks, ill have some beter pictures of it to show off, in some better light as well.

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Looks great :)

I'm in the processing of ordering stuff to detail my subie. I have lots of swirl marks. I imagine its never been detailed before.

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Two words.

Optimum polish.

That works fantastic on Subie paint. Ive used it on a handful now, and have never been let down.

I will admit im jealoud of your GC...the idiots up here in Washington, wont even let you come close to a older 2.5RS without $7k in hand. Reguardless of miles. Seriousl, a 97 2.5RS with 175k, $7250. Fucking rediculas.

So yeah, optimum polish, some #80, and then top it with your favotire LSP, and it should look fantastic.

8. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Thanks for the info.

My subie actually did come from Washington. I'm from Sammamish. Had my parents buy it from a guy up in Bellingham. I paid 11.5k for it with 58k miles. It was the first car I bought so I didn't mind the cost too much.

I'm looking forward to heading back up to WA though in about 4months :) The roads down here where I am suck ass.

9. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I have that same problem :o

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, wehn you get back up this way...shoot my a PM.
    Id be happy to meet up with you and walk you through a proper detail, and show you what products i use, and how to use them.