A&P My latest attempt at destroying some pickles and grapes Edgerton Style.v.lotsofpics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jeepilot, Mar 29, 2008.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Here's the continuation of the thread I made earlier in the week.
    I used some food for splatter effect. I went from bad, to pretty good on some shots.

There's lots of pics, but I'll try to explain most of them.

Again, using the P228 Airsoft pistol, This one wasn't dialed in, but grape through .223 round.

[​IMG]
    Got this one to pop off the bullet stand
    [​IMG]
    Double exposure from when the flash triggered again when the sound of the bullet hitting the table got to the mic. This became a recurring problem with most of my stands, so I switched it below.
    [​IMG]
    Deflected by the thick slice of pickle. Timing is getting better.
    [​IMG]
    Timing was slow, but you can see pieces of pickle everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    Changed the setup to allow for a better contrasting backdrop for the spray to reflect off of. Timing got off for a few shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a zoomed out shot of my setup for the previous shots. I was trying to see where the bullet was for the delay. It's not in frame, so time to re-adjust the delay and switch to only green pellets. Mixing white and green is not good for consistency.
    [​IMG]
    One of the better shots of the series. I clipped the pickle slice just inside the edge. Timing was reset, and should be just before or after impact.
    [​IMG]
    Just a little too early for the next two. They both impacted the pickle though. Good example of how the flash can stop the pellet in mid-air.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Best picture of the set, to me. Grape slices give better spray patterns than the pickles, but are harder to hit, being a smaller target. This one impacted just at the edge of the grape slice. Perfect spray on entry and exit.
    [​IMG]
    Moved flash to on-camera, and zoomed flash and lens full tele. Adjusting the zoom on the flash made it over-expose as shown below with the same ISO as the previous setup.
    This pic shows a good entry spray, and the pellet is just beginning to exit the grape.
    [​IMG]
    Just barely hit the grape, and slowly reducing ISO by one stop/picture.
    [​IMG]
    Lower ISO, and almost identical impact as previous picture.
    [​IMG]
    Mis-timed. Still impacted grape.
    [​IMG]
    Grape and carrot contact.
    [​IMG]
    Grape and very small amount of carrot contact. Hydrostatic forces impacting carrot resulting in random spray pattern.
    [​IMG]
    Aiming in the dark is hard. Missed the grape, impacted carrot, and got some nice carrot pieces flying
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More pickles with good entry and exit spray. Since pickles aren't quite as much liquid, their spray isn't as violent.
    [​IMG]
    Getting pretty consistent in the firing setup, and locations, that I can make the bullet stop between two pickle slices. Not bad for hand holding and aiming. Good spray pattern on the pickle. goes for next two pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since I'm getting pretty consistent with the timing, I switched to my 70-300mm Sigma Macro lens @200mm, and manual zoomed.
    Pellet is just beginning to exit first pickle, leaving second pickle slice untouched. Required an even lower ISO rating than before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just clipped the edge of the front pickle slice. Bumped up the f-stop to f/11 to give a little better DOF than the previous two.
    [​IMG]
    Pellet just beginning to impact pickle slice. Didn't get any other shot where pellet was just beginning to impact.
    [​IMG]
    Even though the system is pretty consistent, timing does get off at times, as shown below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Super close up macro of grape slice with good entry spray, and pellet just beginning to exit.
    [​IMG]

all shots were remote shutter release triggered with about 1.5" shutter, manual zoom, and various ISO from 500 to 250. Flash was a sound triggered SB-600 at 1/64 power which is about 1/25000"

I'll have to make up some Jello and shoot it as recommended before.

Any C&C about these, or any idea of things to shoot?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. gubment cheese

gubment cheese New Member

very cool.