MIL my last base lost a jet last week

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by insomnia, Sep 21, 2006.

1. insomnia

insomnia New Member

No official reports yet, but I heard the pilot clipped something and somehow couldn't get the gear down, ran out of gas and punched... and the jet flew over a nearby town and into a field :hsugh: :rofl:

[​IMG]

shame, it was a good jet :sadwavey:

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I thought that was common in the military - Aircraft accidents.

....just that reporters aren't there to witness it.

:dunno:

3. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Not rly, after our jets crash there are all kinds of news stories. Spangdahlem lost one jet a few months before I got there (pilot hit some trees and died) and now this one, about 4 years later.

Here we've got near 200 jets and have about 50,000 flying hours a year with hardly any accidents... and that's with pilots who are just learing to fly & 25 year old jets.

As far as maintenance goes our jets are very well looked over before, between, and after all flights :wavey:

4. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Oh, I guess what I typed only applies to Naval Aircraft Carriers.

5. Motá

Motá New Member

Same thing happened over here

6. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

That sucks

7. SupraTFassa

SupraTFassa New Member

The best part is the missle is the only thing left intact and even its lawndarted into the ground :rofl: :rofl:

8. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

These days that's not so true. My squadron recently passed 80,000 Class A mishap-free flight hours. Sometimes shit happens, but we're pretty good at what we do when it comes to safety of the aircraft.

9. darnit

darnit New Member

shit, we lost 2 on a 7 month deployment.
    Sucks to hear "plane in the water" over the 1MC when your on the Sailor phone.. you know your gonna hear "click in a micro second after that.

10. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Gear malfunctioned...they had so much fuel and time that they kept him up there trying to get it down...hell they had enough time to call to Lockheed Martin and ask them what do next...they exhausted every available option...and then decided to do a controlled ditch into a field. I'm just wondering how they knew where it'd land since it landed 1 mile away from where he punched out at. I've never flown a jet so I don't know. Anyhow...the field had already been harvested...so it didn't do much for environmental damage and the Air Force and the Germans really came together on a unified front for the German Residents showing how little danger they were in and they aren't exposed to much risk.

11. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Gear didn't malfunction, he hit a fucking antenna just past the runway and somehow fucked up the doors so bad they wouldn't open. That's quite a feat... even if we had a total hydraulic failure we can basically 'blow down' the gear with air, and the windstream would extend it.

I heard he didn't quite know where it would end up either, just punched out and it glided right over Oberkail :noes:

12. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Do you guys blow it down every time you swing the gear? Seems like he'd at least point it at the ground before he pulled the handle - worst thing is the seat doesnt blow and you pull up and accept that you're landing it on the belly. Randomly punching doesn't make much sense to me.

13. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

Out of interest, why no belly landing?

14. insomnia

insomnia New Member

In Phase we do (it was actually supposed to be there this week :hsugh:). I helped build this gear not too long ago too, so there better not have been anything wrong with it :noes:

15. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Good fucking question. I heard a *rumor* he wasn't paying attention when he ran out and was too far to glide back. Not 100% on that one though.

He might have fucked up whatever tank config he had too, and couldn't belly it the way it was setup or something :dunno:

16. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Well you guys know more than they've been reporting in the news here...I wondered why wouldn't land right there with all the fire equipment...

17. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I know nuzzing :eek3:

here's from stars and stripes europe: