My laptops screen went haywire last night? v.suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicklk, Aug 22, 2007.

1. nicklk

nicklk New Member

So my Dell Inspiron 8600 went bizurco last night out of the blue, I was uploading pics from my vacation to the hard drive and then the display went all fucked up....like this:

[​IMG]

Is this the video card? Are they intergrated or are they easily replaceable on a laptop?

Thanks in advance, I suck at the computers

2. DellCA

DellCA New Member

Hi,

My name is Todd and I'm with Dell's online outreach program. We try to help our customers via blogs and forums.

A couple quick tests you can try to see whether it's the video card or the LCD screen itself would be my first recommendation. The easiest thing to check is whether you're seeing the Dell BIOS information when the system restarts?

Next, would be to try to power the system on and go into the BIOS itself to see if the video is distorted. You enter BIOS on a Dell system by hitting the <F2> key when the system is initially powering up. The BIOS only uses basic VGA input and does not require Windows drivers to function.

If those appear to be working correctly then you may want to try to get into Safe Mode to see if the display works in that diagnostic Windows mode. You enter Safe Mode by hitting the <F8> key when the system is powering up.

Lastly, you may want to try to connect an external monitor to that system via the VGA output port on the back of the system. If you're getting normal display on an external screen but not the LCD then it would indicate that the LCD is bad, but the video card is functioning normally.

Video cards are not easy to replace on notebook systems, not at all like replacing them on desktops. The Inspiron 8600 came with the options for integrated video as well as a dedicated video card so it depends on which model you purchased whether it has a video card. If it doesn't, the entire motherboard would need to be replaced.

You can check the original components of the system off our support site, http://support.Dell.com. If you click on Warranty Information (in the top left corner of the main screen) you can type in the service tag of the system and click on the Original System Configuration tab to see what was originally installed on the system. The service tag can be located on a sticker attached to the bottom of the system.

You can also find user guides and service manuals on the same site for your system. That will explain the process of removing and installing a video card. If you've never worked on a notebook before it's not very easy to do. The components tend to be a lot more fragile and there are a lot of connections and screws to remove and replace. It's not impossible by any means, but it's definitely not easy either.

Try those troubleshooting steps to see if we can determine whether it's the video card or LCD itself. Let me know how it goes. I'll stop back to see what else I can do to help.

Thank you,

Todd

Customer Advocate
    Dell, Inc.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2006/11/19/3648.aspx