GUN My Kel-tec .380 is on the way! *Update with pics*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kellyclan, Jul 23, 2003.

1. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

My Kel-tec .380 is here! *Update w/pics*

:x: :x: :x:

Blued finish. :hs: The hard chromed ones won't likely be found for at least two more monthes. i'll just do a slide swap later or have it refinished. :bigthumb:

Pics will come. :o

Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

You sucky sob, I want one.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Guest

Make sure you give a detailed review. I have a HC version of the P32 and it is my "go everywhere" gun. Great little thing weighing in at 9.8 oz. fully loaded.

4. kellyclan

Here's a pair of grip shots. P32, P3-AT, Glock 27 to show size. First pic is approx actual size. Yes, i have bastardized the serial numbers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The machining is much better than on the P32. As budget guns, Kel-tecs have always been on the rough side when it came to finish of the materials. This particular P3-AT is probably one of the best finished Kel-tecs i've seen. You can also see the more robust machined extractor (which slides out for easy replacement if it breaks..anticipated problem? i haven't heard anything.) compared to the stamped metal on the P32.
    [​IMG]

Money shot with a pair of Benchmade 940's and an Emerson CQC-7BW.
    [​IMG]

i'll post as soon as i get it to the range. :cool: Might not be until next Wednesday though. :hs:

Side by side or in the hand/pocket, it's very difficult to tell it is larger than the P32. The differences are really only on paper, although my belt clip Don Hume sheath is too tight for the P3-AT, the nylon pocket holster works fine. That's how i usually carry it anyway.

Kel-tec says 10oz loaded, 5.2" long, 3.5" high, .77" wide for the .380
    9.4oz loaded, 5.1" long, 3.5" high, .75" wide for the P32

My only complaint is that the outer recoil spring doesn't fit into the slide, as it does on the P32. Only the inner spring fits into the slide, and since it's an uncaptured recoil system, it takes some fiddling to get the recoil springs back into place when reassembling.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  5. kellyclan

Ran a quick magazine through it last night. Obviously can't give much of a report from six shots, but it shoots 1/5MOBC (20 feet away, beer can) just fine. :big grin: Using 90gr Hydra-shok, punch was a little more brisk than the .32, but you could rightly expect that with an almost identical recoil system. Double or triple taps at contact ranges should be managable.

6. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

My friend has one and I didn't really care for it. I prefer the Makarov or the PPK and clones. The finish was really rough and do not dry fire this gun!

7. kellyclan

Mak and the PPK are "subcompacts" are more comparable size-wise to the Glock 27, not the Kel-tecs.

To each his own, but way i see it, a Kel-tec in the pocket is worth a hundred PPKs in the nightstand.

8. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

Very nice. What's the average that these are selling for now? I just picked up a P32 about a month ago for $200 and if I remember right the P3AT was over $300 (they didn't have it in stock anyways).

Oh and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to carry the P32 comfortably in my pocket without it printing and without spending $50 on a custom holster.

9. accordfreak93

accordfreak93 Go Preds!

whoa that thing is tiny.

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

can you put a dollar bill next to it or something, so i can get a better visual of how big it actually is? :hs:

11. kellyclan

Anymore than $250, i'd look elsewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ptg

ptg .

How does it compare to a Kahr PM9 sizewise?

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

i like how it's nice and small, but damn it's ugly. :o:hs:

What else is a good small pistol, but looks prettier, and more reliable or higher quality? :hs:

14. kellyclan

The Kahr is 1/5" longer, 1/2" taller, and 1/8" thicker, loaded weight is just about double. On paper, not much difference. In your hand, the PM9 is halfway between the P3AT and the Glock 27. If you want the smallest you can get and absolutely refuse to go below 9mm, the PM9 is your best bet. It still doesn't ride in your pocket like a mousegun though.

Arguably the best mousegun is the Seecamp .32. $350-400 will get you a new one if you shop the right stores. It looks a world of difference better and is of much higher quality fit and finish. i couldn't say one is more reliable than the other though, both always go bang. The .380 caliber Seecamp is still in the prototype phase though and has already missed about four release dates starting 18 monthes ago. :hs:

15. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

yea, i would rather try not to go below 9mm.

btw, what's the order of bullet sizes? :hs::o

i dont know what PM9 is. Pics? Links? Brand? :o

I just want something a little smaller than my HK when i'm wearing light clothes. :hs:

16. kellyclan

Kahr PM9 http://www.kahr.com/front.html

Bullet order for reference by size not necessarily effectiveness:
    .22LR, .25ACP, .32ACP, .380ACP, 9mm, .357SIG, .40SW, .45ACP

The .380 is actually also known as 9mm Kurtz (that is; "Short"). It is 9mm caliberx17mm long as opposed to the familiar 9x19mm NATO round.

Most people will feel that a .22 is actually more effective than a .25. The .32 is a worthwhile step up. The .380 a step up again, arguably as effective a round as the .38 Special. Above that, we get into the "serious" auto calibers, 9mm, .45, etc.

The reason i love the Keltec .380 so much is it will comfortably ride in nearly any pocket you can imagine, which means i'm even more likely to have it with me when i need it in these warmer days of shorts or when a sport jacket comes off frequently. The PM9 you could stuff in a pocket, but small as it is, it still rides more comfortably on a belt.

Seecamp doesn't have a website, here's a good picture of one though. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976245360.htm Price is too high. ;)

17. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

with a $500 budget, what would you get that's small, reliable, pretty? I would rather not carry something that's smaller than a 9mm though. :hs:

I'm not a big fan of bling bling guns either. :hs:

18. kellyclan

Hm. If you don't want to go smaller than 9mm, the Kahr PM9 is the heat. i think they're a nice balance of looks and practicality for their purpose with the black frame and stainless slide. You can probably find a "like new" one for $500 or less. New, you're talking $530 if you hunt around.

That's as small as they get without dropping under a 9mm, so you need to handle one and decide if it's as small as you need.

If you need more concealability, the next step down is the mouseguns. i'm no whore, i'd honestly recommend the Keltec 380 because i value function and performance over looks.

If it really bugs you though, the Seecamp .32 is still the king of the hill when aesthetics are among your priorities. Both the .32 and .380 are mediocre stoppers, these aren't gunfighting guns. These are "shoot over your shoulder to keep their heads down as you're running away" guns and both serve that purpose well.