My job is physically demanding, so...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Socrates, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

For 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, and sometimes 8 hours overtime on Friday, I weld on and put together stainless steel tanks.

Lots of physical stuff like swinging mallets, walking back and forth to get parts (huge buildings), and just lifting heavy pieces of steel all day long. I get my heart rate going quite a bit at work everyday.

If I bulk, and my goal is 10% more calories than my maintainence level (for money reasons), would I still probably be in a defecit since I burn so many calories in a day? Would I have to add much more food?

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

If you don't gain weight up it about 500cals a day and go from there.

3. Drewski

Drewski New Member

^^^

get a baseline for how much you need to eat to maintain, whether through counting or just personal experience, then start adding some cals on top

whether it be a between meal snack, or just increasing meal portions

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

+1.

Finding the right bulk (enough cals to add on muscle, but to so much that you add a lot of fat) is kinda of a trial and error thing. For this reason, I say start with smaller increases and work your way up. I would start with 500 over your projected maintenance. If you do not see weight gain results within 2-3 weeks then add another 300-500.

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Maintenance level is the max number of cals you can take without gaining weight. Activity levels should be factored in by your body :mamoru: So it should be 10% over not gaining, or just add 500 cals every 2 weeks until you gain fast enough and substract 250 cals until you find a sweet spot (which would be 2-4 lbs a month IMO)

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I thought it was my bodyweight in calories x 10 ---- 1850 for me. Oops :mamoru:

7. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

If you eat 10% more than maintenance then yes you should gain wait. Maintenance is how many calories it takes to maintain given your activity levels. Hence why it's not the same for people of the same height/weight if they have different activity levels.

So no, you can't be at a deficit if you are eating maintenance or anything above it. But as others have said - this means you need a baseline of what your maintenance is...

edit - andrew beat me...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  8. damiand

damiand Proceed

I think I'm the only exception to that rule. I can eat 1k more calories a day and not gain weight. If I stop eating that extra 1k I dont lose weight or lose any energy, so technically my maintenance calories can be up or down by 1k.
    Which is what makes it suck for me so much, since in order to gain I know I have to eat triple of what I do right now, and that would be intensly hard.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

good thing about jobs like those is if you eat enough you will get bigger... Lots of construction workers and road workers that I see are huge powerlifter looking dudes (broly but soft).... just be like the guys I see.... eat Jack in the Box every day :o

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Your metabolic rate can adjust to some variation. It usually gets back to its normal level after a short time though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.