My Jeep Grand Cherokee sucks...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tenchuninja, Mar 16, 2002.

1. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

Man, I got a 1996 GC Laredo three days ago. Do signs of any transmission problems during the test drive. Now, I get clunking and grinding when turning while in any 4wd mode. It's a Select-trac.

Do any of you Jeep-heads know how much this might cost to repair? Also, any reputable shops in the Portland, OR area?

This sucks.

2. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

3 days? Go back to the dealer and make them replace the transfer case.

3. Agreed.

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

depends on where he got it. if they sold it as is, he's SOL. if they sold it with a small warranty, they may help him.. may not.

good luck.

5. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

Are you in 4WD on a dry street trying to make a tight turn? Cuz that's not good for it and that sound would be normal. It's cuz the tires are spinning at differnce speeds.

6. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

I've owned 2 Jeeps, and they were both pieces of shit. Go to (dealer will remain nameless) on T.V. Highway, and they will gladly fist f%ck you without lube. Those guys are total dickheads, and I wouldn't buy a free glass of water from them if I was stranded in Death Valley. No offense to the Jeep guys in this forum, but I will never buy another one.

7. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

It shouldnt give you any problems in full-time 4wd on the road. But if you are in part-time, yes you will have tons of problems and can break stuff.

8. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

ah man, those are the guys i bought from! heheh. and it's Canyon Rd. by the time you pass 217, don't you forget that. or maybe it's a diff dealership.

9. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

what exactly do you mean by the above? You're saying not to drive in 4parttime?

to update everybody:
    I've found that most of my problems are in the realm of "user error." Being in the tech industry, I should've RTFM first. This is my first 4WD vehicle. I'm a newbie.

This is what I did wrong:
    1) drove on dry pavement in 4parttime.
    2) tried to park in 4parttime.
    3) getting back into 2WD: "third times a charm." i didn't disengage the 4WD properly.

So, I RTFM and consulted my redneck friends. Now it's all good. Hopefully.

Anyone have any pointers regarding using the 4WD system on my Jeep? I go camping/fishing/snowboarding from time to time and that is why I bought it. My Accord almost didn't survive my last adventure.

Also, any good Jeep sites that I should check out? I go to jeepsunlimited.com from time to time.

Thanks for the input!

10. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

I had a feeling it was a user error thing. I did the same damn thing, so don't feel bad. Glad to hear you're not Anti-Jeep anymore.

11. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

It sounded like he was using it incorrectly to me as well.

Only use the 4WD on loose surfaces or snow, mud, and water.

DO NOT USE IT ON DRY PAVED SURFACES.

12. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

The stoopid manual makes it seem like you can use it all the time

PS - is that supposed to say MiniMe > Brittany Spears? :rofl:

13. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

Minmei is from Robotech: Macross Saga. Aw, memories.

The Jeep is gonna see some dirt and mud this weekend.

14. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Well he has selec-trac which has a full-time feature that you can use on dry roads. But you definately dont want to use part-time on dry roads.

15. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

T.V., Canyon, whatever. I just call the whole damn road TV. In any case, the people at that dealership SUCK. I had a '95 Wrangler that was having electrical problems, and those Jeep "experts" fucked it up even worse.

16. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

IMO part time sucks ass anyways. If I want traction, I'll put it in 4. If I don't, I'll put it in 2. Easy as that. Don't need no Subaru-esque awd kinda shit on a truck...

17. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Umm part-time is 4wd. I think you mean full-time which is the one you can use on the road that allows slippage.

18. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

so why the hell do we have 4wd parttime anyways? from all your posts it doesn't seem like it can be used for anything.

19. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

fulltime 4WD=AWD

2HI = on road use

part time 4WD = best for true offroaders

neutral = for flat towing

4LO = heh heh. Torque.

20. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

21. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Part time 4WD is best for moderate to heavy off-road situations.

The wheels all spin at the exact same speed, hence the "binding" when you turn on dry surfaces because they cannot spin at a speed indepedant of each other.

Full time 4WD can be used on pavement because the wheels are allowed to spin more freely while still recieving engine torque. Transfer cased AWD systems work the same way.