my ipod might have a virus, how can i reformat it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Oct 3, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ok, about a month ago, i got the w32.tufik virus. it was lame. it actually spreads to anything that has a drive letter (it spread to my digicam, my other computers through mapped drives, my g6 lite for ds lite...)

i guess what it does is attack explorer.exe to spread itself. then when it spreads itself, it infects .exe files. also i read that it steals passwords through keystrokes.
    so, i got rid of it on everything, it was a lenthly matter of scanning hard drives etc and removing infected files. on a couple of my computer i had to run the winxp disk to replace explorer.exe. the g6 lite was reformatted along with my digicam and my flash drives etc.
    i also changed all my passwords
    everything is clean, except my ipod. i know it's still infected because i get this popup screen when i plug it in. i was also getting this popup when i plugged in my digicam, g6 lite, flash drives when they were infected. if i allow the program to run, it pops up a notepad window with a line giberish. then it infects explorer.exe and runs it's own program called winconfigs.exe
    [​IMG]

the wierd thing is that i'm running symantec antivirus corporate edition (with latest updates). it will not find the virus on the device, because it hides in recycler

so, i'd like to format my ipod. can i just use windows to format it in fat32?

cliffs - got fucked with a virus, infected ipod, need to reformat.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

download the ipod updater software and do a "restore"

this will erase everything on it though so make sure u have ur music on the computer also.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

awesome thanks!

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

no prob

5. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

My Ipod's name is KYLE'S IPOD too :eek3: