My Ideas for Apple

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wabash9000, Jan 19, 2008.

1. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

First of all I love apple computers. OS-x is so nice to use and boots up in a flash. I just wanted to put my ideas out here and see what you guys think.

1. MBP should have a card reader. Minor but I like it when laptops have them.
    2. Mac pro should cost less and it shouldn't cost $9100 to upgrade from 2 to 32 gigs of ram.
    3. Ditch the mac mini. it is a laptop without the screen or the convinence.
    4. Make stuff less expensive. Base macbook should be $999.99 for everyone not just students. If you break a superdrive in a macpro it is like $115 drop that to like $50.
    5. Make what I call the Mac Custom. Mac-Pro case or maybe even the g5 case. core 2 duo. superdrive standard. Uses normall ddr2-800. PCI-x 2.0 graphics slot. Make the lowest model of it ~$900 and go up from there. Make it so users can pick what intel processor they want, what brand of video card and how much memory they get. Make it so that if they order it with ati it is crossfire enabled and same for sli or just make it compatable with both. Also I'd like to see a barebones version of this system but that's never going to happen.

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:uh: @ most of that

3. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

the only thing I agree with is #1. I also would like to see them integrate BioOptics security fingerprint reader into some of the laptops.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

they need something in between a mac mini and a mac pro, that doesnt have an integrated display

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i don't agree with any of that

6. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

I agree with that. It just seems like too much of a jump, if you don't want the integrated display.

7. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

even the card reader? Those are always nice to have. :hs:

8. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, even the card reader sorry...
    i mean it would be great to unload pictures off a camera quick like that and all, but i wouldn't use it enough, and it would just be an extra eye sore/port that would sit there 90% of the time :hs:

also, SD media or CF media port? cause the cameras/phones i use are 1/2 of one and 1/2 the other, so you'd need both to satisfy the market and then well...

9. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

no card readers.

usb cable > thicker MBP

10. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

that was my last idea.

11. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

I don't think a sd card reader would make it that much thicker.

12. ady

ady New Member

Apple don't do card readers, and they have shown no desire to. You can get an express slot card reader dirt cheap anyway.

They are already the cheapest dual quad core 2.8GHz workstations there are. Current mac pro has two $800 processors, $400-$500 motherboard, $150 memory, $75 hard drive, $100 graphics card, $200-$300 1KW PSU, $150-$250 case, ($2675-$2975 so far) then add in mouse, keyboard, OS, software etc. It's a great deal. Mine worked out $1500 less than a same specced Dell. Now if you are saying they need more options and to start with slower Xeons, then that is fair enough, but Apple are about small product lines that need to improve on the previous generation and fit well in their product line. Of course many people don't need Apple's exact offering, but really this is coupled with point 5.

I guess I've become used to buying memory and storage 3rd party so don't see it as too much of an issue personally, but I guess it would be nice to see them try a different approach.

Many people believe they already have as it is like the bastard step child of the range, but it has caused alot of people to switch. Again tied in with point 5 really.

Apple are making money on how they do things as well as increasing market share. Prices are only going to change when Apple's market research and sales data shows that price points need to move. Something that hasn't happened so far. Just bare in mind that alot of people are willing to not only pay alot more than $600 for a computer, but are also willing to pay extra for what they percieve as a better product.

Not going to happen with how things currently are because Apple aren't going to be able to make the same profit per system that they do with their other offerings. The market for this type of machine is also about offering the latest hardware and low cost, neither of which Apple go for. It also doesn't fit with Apple's image of tight, streamlined product lines.

13. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

What?

My MBP has a card reader.

WTF?

14. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

So, basically, you want Apple to become Dell.

Yeah, good luck on that.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I agree. I *NEED* discrete graphics (no intel on-board crap) and I also NEED multi-mon support. But I don't want to pay $3000 for a fucking MacPro.

16. skolen

skolen Guest

I think the Mini is a perfect nich area for Apple. My parents really only do internet/email and those card games. My dad has a decent digital camera and the Mini would have just enough power for him to organize all that stuff easily and make some nice DVD's out of them with the included software. Plus they already have a keyboard/mouse/monitor from the PC they have now. Unfortunately they have a shitbox Asus that eats CD-ROM drives because it sits on top of the CPU heatsync.

It's a great entry Mac. But yea, they need to fill that mid-range headless Mac area.

What I really think they need to do is get their heads back into their software. These little side projects, while impressive, have really made their OS take a back seat in spit & polish.

Leopard is buggy on many fronts and many simple preferences a user would want, just aren't there. Stacks is useless if you have many items or folders. It should be more configurable as to grid size, drilling-down of folders, and the ability to scroll through large lists instead of resorting to just opening the whole thing in Finder.

iTunes needs to grow up and accept the fact people want to control every aspect of their collections the way they want. Not how Apple feels it should. It handles compilations (like soundtracks) like shit. It needs a custom EQ that lets me save custom presets and use them elsewhere. I should be allowed to set more than one genre for a song (if a rock song is on a soundtrack I want it to show up in both rock & s/t "Smart" playlists.

There's other shit I wish they'd change but I don't wanna get into it. It's a damn solid OS and the hardware is quality. But retarded shit like AppleTV or the iPhone, while innovative, gets in the way of what Apple was about. Good software.

Oh, and they gotta stop screwing their early adopters. Price drops & revised products less than a year after the introduction of the originals screams "rushed product". Then to charge for piddly shit like ringtones on songs you already have or apps on the same product one can buy new but $20 for current owners that made it successful in the first place.

17. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

yeah, not at all. Also, they make the new PC laptops with a 5-in-1 card reader that is very small.

18. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

Bro, seriously.

19. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Bring back Sherlock!