My Idea For Stealth Audio/Video Recording - Where Can I Find These Items?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M-1000, Oct 22, 2006.

1. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

I will give a quick background first -

All concerts that come here to Edmonton that are bands that I like and want to see live I record. The equipment used is all about concealability. I use Core Sound Binaural mics (extremely small, width-wise smaller than a dime, length is also smaller than a dime). Excellent sound quality (these mics are considered 'master' recording equipment). Recorder is a Sony HiMD MiniDisc player. Mics are externally powered by a 9v battery and plug into the 'line-in' input on the player. Total recording time of a HiMD for optimal sound quality is ~50 minutes. Second best gets you 2 hours. I am limited in recording time for a lossless bootleg.

Getting equipment past patdown is a rush. The adrenaline kick of the chance of being caught, ticket torn up, and kicked out (or just asked to get rid of the eq - which from ive heard doesnt generally happen). All eq items must be small enough to conceal on the way in. Duct tape and baggy clothing is the easiest way (ill let you figure it out, im not giving away too many tips on stealth bootlegging).

This is my idea -

Get glasses (I dont wear/need glasses) made just for the sake of having glasses. Get a neckstrap for the glasses (this is very important). Run the binaural mics through the strap and attatch them to the bridges. Easy enough.

I want to add in video to my bootlegging. What I need is a VERY small external camera. The camera must also be capable of wide-angle viewing and zoom. Were talking dime sized or smaller with minimal length to it. If anybody can direct me in the ways of a company that makes stealth video cameras I would appreciate it.

The other thing I need is a very small hard drive recording device. More specifically what I want on it is the ability to plug in an external zooming camera with a wired/wireless controller for the zooming ability. Also a line-in input for the mics. The recorder will be the same idea of a modern day mp3 player. Compact in size, LCD screen that can be turned on/off with a button that plays what is coming through the camera. The player will need a 20/30gb HD. High-end battery capable of lasting a minimum 5 hours on a charge. The audio input will be recorded in .wav format. The video will be DVD format. So basically the recording will be stored as a DVD file.

If you guys took the time to read this this is what I am asking. Help me find a company that makes high-quality external stealth video cameras, and a mp3 player sized recording device with a video input (for the camera) and a line-in for the audio that saves the file in a format that can be later be made into a DVD.

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Wow, go you.

Is it legal to, once you have it done, redistribute those recordings - given that you're not sitting in the venue and they can't kick you out if you don't play by their crappy rules anymore?

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That sounds like a fun project that I would have liked to be in on at one time.

For the mics, you could just insert them into the lapels of a flannel shirt.

That way, you would record anything you looked at.

The camera you could set up inside the top of a ball cap.

Hardware? You can find stealth cameras all over the internet.

I see reviews of companies doing that once in a while, and they are apparently thriving.

You could probably get the recording hardware from them as well, but
    expect to pay big bucks for it.

Best thing to do would be to find out how to use an mp3 player, and yeah I know that's what you're asking, but I don't know the answer to it.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

you could dig out an older cell phone, like a motorola 650 flip phone. It's big enough to hide a battery and a laptop sized hard drive and have a couple of audio connections. The arena I work in, when they do pat downs, they haven't disallowed cell phones, just digital cameras and bottles.

5. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

ive gotten my mics/batterybox/md player into many many big name shows, so getting past patdown is no problem

and in theory what i do is illegal, but it is only illegal if i sell my recordings for personal profit. they are all for personal use. they are traded amongst other tapers/listeners for their shows (free of charge, as long as i get something in return, at no cost).

i have gotten into metallica, tool, system of a down (twice), pearl jam, to name a few

its moreso just a matter of finding/programming the equipment to suit my needs. i dont care what the cost would be. this is something i do as a hobby for myself and the underground trading ring. i am prepared to submit my recording device idea to a company, hoping they could build one for me, nomatter what the cost is. that is if they could/would do it for me.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If you're not worried about cost, then try the spy-hardware companies.

They carry a ton of stuff along those lines. I've never felt the need to save a link or I would post it for you, but it can't be hard to find.
    The world is full of snoops!

7. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

interesting....

http://www.advanced-intelligence.com/video.html

[​IMG]

8. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

from the same site

[​IMG]
    This handsome looking palm size DVR Records any video or audio from any CCTV cameras, camcorders, TV or practically any video source. Comes with black leather case that can be clip on to your belt for portable operations. Built in 3.5" TFT LCD screen. Monitor your recordings in real time or instantly play back the recorded movie on its built in Color screen. Built in 20 GB hard drive. Includes USB connector which allows you to save the recorded file on to your PC. Will work well with all of our cameras on our web site.