SRS My house robbery still angers to until this day...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Inferno, May 2, 2006.

1. Inferno

Inferno New Member

So here's the story...

my family and I went to Europe for 5 weeks last August, came back the 5th of September. My parents had somebody looking over the house, basically grabbing the mail twice times week and watering our plants. This guy is a really nice guy, and I know for a fact that he has nothing to do with it. So about 3 weeks into the trip, we get a call to my grandparents house in Slovakia where we'd been staying. It was the guy taking care of the house, saying our house had been robbed. I went absolutely ballistic, incredible pissed off, just felt like shit the rest of the trip. An estimated of $22k in shit, just gone. A TV, PS2, Modded XBox, tons of games for both, DVD collection, two gaming computers, two 17" panel monitors, speakers, DVD players, paintball gun/gear, my moms jewelry collection, even some of my clothes and worst of all, $5,600 cash. Why did I have cash in the house? Well I was saving up for this trip for an entire year, and I withdrew it for the trip. We were running late and I completely forgot about the money that I left on my computer table. We were right beside Pearson international (Toronto's airport) when a plan crashes when landing, i saw the entire thing, and the planes were backed for 5 hours anyway. The 5 extra minutes that I would have taken to get my shit together would have meant still having $5,600 (well spent and given away by now). From the crash on, I had a feeling that something would go wrong. By the way, the night of the robbery (night before I got the call) I had a messed up dream that I got my shoes stolen, which did by the way. We didn't even have insurance, because my mom never thought that it could happen to us, so she cancelled about 5 months before we left for Europe.

Not to mention the fact that they went through every single square inch of our house and messed everything up. Broke china glasses/plates, dumped out drawers, broke picture frames, etc. That took us a while to clean up, which added more anger and stress while we did it.

Not a single day goes by where there isn't anger towards the person who did it (I think I know who did, but the cops cant do jack fucking shit). My parents and I are both broke as hell now, because of all this. I'm trying to help them get their shit back together. Now, because we're broke as hell, I always go back to thinking how this shit happened, and then I think of this little cunt that did it all, and how hes enjoying that money that he got from selling all my stuff. I honestly can't even express how angry I am about all this. I go to look for something, and when I can't find it, i just go back to what happened that august and just think about it where it is that second, and how he's enjoying it or the money from it. This has also affected my marks in university, not greatly, but it has. I feel less motivated to accomplish and do anything.

This happened right after Katrina, so I used to try thinking about all the bad things that those people are going through till' this day, and how they lost absolutely everything, not just $20k worth of stuff, but it's just a temporary solution to my problem and I always end up just getting angry again.

I've never posted in here before, so I don't know what to expect by posting this in here, although anything right now is helpful and appreciated :hug:

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Be glad that everyone survived the whole odeal, materials/money can be replaced, people's lives cannot.

It had to be an 'inside' job, someone who 'most likely knows the nice guy' , or 'someone you have been babbling to about your vacation trip' Via via, that person got to know that you people where going on a 5 week trip to Europe. I mean 'how else' could that person know exactly when to break into your house?

Often burglars can be people you know, i live 3 houses away from burglars who broke into more then 100 houses , i have terrorists living across the street of me who had a shed full of handgrenades,explosives and machineguns(luckely they got arrested) and my collegue who lives near me has been a victim of grand theft auto ,where the burglars where brutal enough to just go into his house, grab the car keys ,searched for gold and money, and had been 'luring' for weeks to see when my collegue went in and out of his house. To think all of this is happening while we live a 'stone' throw away from the police station.

Its absolutely 'devestating' although my collegue got his car back, the fact that someone broke into your house is so horrible because you never will have the feeling of 'im safe in my own house' anymore :sad2:

I advice you to(Even if you are 100% sure of who did it) not to throw wild accusations to someone , i also had my share of wanting to blame someone knowing it feelingwhise for sure that they committed the crime, and afterwards feeling tremendously ashamed when it came out that i was wrong.

Ask yourself the question 'who where the people who knew that you where leaving to Europe?' , if you ask 'those' people to who they all told that you all where going to europe, especially the 'nice guy' you might get some interesting leads.

For now, what is done is done. You can't change the past and i tell you that karma is like a boomerang ,whatever that person did wrong to you they will get it back someday. So rest your heart in the assurance that there is justice in this universe (although i must admit it doesn't always look that way) but that eventually this person needs to pay back paid their wrongdoings against you and your family.

I can only give you a :hug: and pray for your family. It also shows that you need to protect yourself properly. http://www.thefrugallife.com/burglars.html here are some tips on protection against burglary. Better to be safe then sorry.

3. Inferno

Inferno New Member

I only told a few ppl, but I guess word spreads like crazy around here. I'm not 100% sure who did it, but I have a fairly good idea. I wont confront them or anything, just incase they didn't do it, but if I find out for 100% that they did, there will be drama :o

Anyways, I definatly do believe in Karma, but I'm not sure if Karma works the other way around too, like if something bad happens to a person, something good will happen to them next :o I wish it worked that way, and if it does, it hasn't happened yet :sad2:

Those are some messed up stories :eek3: I'm glad your buddy got his car back. I'm also glad nobody was hurt, and I can't help but to wonder what would have happened to my cats if they stayed home and the housekeeper didn't take them to his house.

Thanks for your kind words, and I appreciate your prayers :hug:

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

I've been the victim of house robberies thrice, by my count. One of the worst things I ever went through, though, was a house fire. It decimated pretty much everything I had, including about $20k in software. Fortunately I had stayed up late that night and was able to make it out of the house in time, but it sure sucked to watch everything that I had go up in flames and smoke as I sat there, helpless. The part that hurt the most, though, was coming back the next day after getting out of the hospital to find that the "security guard" posted by police was either sleeping on the job or letting people in, because what would have survived the fire (jewelry, some heirlooms, and some things I had stored in a closet that had miraculously gone untouched by fire) had been stolen. No insurance, either. It hurt that what I had worked so hard to build was taken in the blink of an eye by lowlifes - the bottom feeders of society who prey on the weakness of others.

It was a wake-up call for me, though. Being injured and unable to work for a while afterwards gave me a lot of time to think about things. I was happy to be alive, for one thing. I was made grateful for the things that I did have which no one could take away - the love of my friends and family, my knowledge, and my spirit. I used the event to teach myself some humility - nothing is for sure in this world and you need to make the best of what you have (or don't have), and when shit happens, roll with it. In the end, even though I still feel a twinge of disgust and fury about others gaining from my misfortunes, I think that I came out ahead emotionally and that's worth more than the money I could have had. Because of those events, I got out of a relationship which wasn't working, I got a job that I love which I never thought I could have, and I'm secure in the knowledge that I'm on track to do far better than those people that stole my shit, if I'm not ahead already. They don't know me and I don't know them, but I'm not going to sink to their level to find them.

I don't know what exactly you're feeling, whether it's frustration at the injustice of it all, that you're missing your things, or that you're annoyed because you could have done something different and it would have all turned out another way. I did the same thing for a while... but in the end I just had to accept that I can't change the past, only learn from it, and that I would do best to let it go because by being angry at the people that wronged me I was allowing them to control a part of me. I don't want to be ruled by people or things I have no ability to change. Do you? :hs:

5. Bleed

Bleed New Member

You will be a victim as long as you keep thinking about this and letting this be your excuse for being poor. $20,000 isn't going to make you rich, but putting this behind you and moving on with your life will at least give you a chance to make that money back. Do not worry about the theifs, karma will own them tenfold.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

First of all if you had $22K worth of shit, I hope your parents had homeowner's insurance and you were reimbursed for your stuff?

Look, the most important thing to realize here is that you are the source of your anger, and you are the only person that you are hurting by being angry. You said you believe in Karma. Well... if you believe in rebirth, then you must realize that we have all robbed, killed, raped, and looted in past lives. Every single one of us. And despite the terrible thing they did, the people who robbed you are still people, just like you. They have pain and anger and selfish motivations for the things they do, just like the rest of us. The best thing for you is to let the anger go. I know thats easier said than done... personally I would meditate until it cleared my mind and I was free of it. In case you want to do that, www.dhamma.org has instructions.

Just my tew cints.

7. Inferno

Inferno New Member

wow, another amazing post. its crazy to finally see the caring side of OT :hs: Seriously bro, you really got me thinking... I really need to move on and make the best out of the situation, because I obviously can't change the past :sad2: Thanks again for sharing your story, it feels much better to hear that I'm not the only victim of such a misfortune. I'm really glad that you weren't hurt or even killed in the fire.

I keep telling myself that some day I'll score a great job, find the right girl, etc.. but I really need to put all of this shit behind me, but the thoughts just keep coming back. I'll be honest though, I've really improved in the last month or so, on having those thoughts less often, and I've been really working on forgetting the whole ordeal. I think what you said about them controlling me in a sense is so damn true, I need to remember that.

:hug:

I'm doing my best, but its not something that you just forget overnight, or even a year for that matter. I definatly agree with you on the karma part, I definatly do think karma will get back at them. :x:

regarding us having insurance :hs:

I'm not sure if I believe in rebirth, as I havne't really heard much about it before now... but thats kinda weird when you put it that way. I honestly don't think that robbers have the same morals and feelings like normal, truthful, honest people. I'm gradually letting my anger go, and I am progressing, but like you said, it's easier said than done. It'll take some more time. Thanks for that link too, I've never really read up on meditation nor have I ever considered doing it.. I'll check it out

8. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

i understand why your upset. someone stole 30 bucks from me and i nearly droped dead. so how do you have an idea who did it?

9. Inferno

Inferno New Member

this particular kid is a known trouble maker in the area, and he told people who asked about the cops at my house when I was gone that my mom was killed in a car accident. Then, he told my other buddy that my house was robbed. Nobody had a clue that this happened, except him.. so yeah. I have a fairly good idea that it was him.

10. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

:sadwavey:

My wife and I got robbed back in March of this year. It's an awful feeling. Yes the stuff they stole can be replaced but they also steal your sense of security. It took me a while to come to grips with it and from time to time I still open the door after I come home from work and expect all my shit to be gone.

11. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Damn what a horrible way to learn a lesson about how it most certainly CAN happen to you. My house was robbed in the month of August(2002), when I was 8 months pregnant with my youngest child, and away at a doctor appointment. I came home to find the door kicked in and the house ransacked. Though we were not robbed nearly to the extent that you were, I can certainly understand the feeling of anger, and violation, not to mention fear of it happening again. The worst for ME was that they'd stolen new items that we'd been planning to use for our new baby. (Car seat, Stroller, etc). That, and the uneasiness with knowing these people had been through all of my personal belongings, in every room. Horrible.
    The one great thing about it was that our insurance acted quickly and we'd replaced all the stolen items, before the baby was born in September.

It sucks, but there are only so many times you can kick yourself in the ass for not doing one thing or the other, and only so much productivity your anger will create, and then it just turns to shit, and helps nothing. I was freaked for a good long while, but I had a baby and a 4 1/2 year old to distract me from some of that. It takes some time, but eventually you can get over your anger.

12. *Ambiorix*

*Ambiorix* New Member

:eek3: that sucks! If you know who did it why dont you figure out a way to get back at em?

13. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Wow. Ex-fucking-actly. Every damn day I open my door and expect my living room to look like what it did when I got back from europe.

14. Inferno

Inferno New Member

:hug: Thanks for sharing your story, and I'm glad you or your baby wasn't hurt in the whole thing :eek3: I'm also glad that you guys were smart enough to have insurance. I can definatly relate to the feelings that you felt when it happened, sounds exactly like what I'm goin through right now.

I now I'll eventually get over it, but I think that it will always be in the back of my mind. I'm glad you got over it and everything is well. Also, congradualations on your two children.

:sad2: I'm not sure what to do and I dont think beating the living shit out of them would really solve anything, and I'd ironically end up getting charged. I'll just let karma take it's toll.

15. Incognito315

Incognito315 New Member

:sadwavey:
    I live with four guys now (although im moving this weekend) and our house has been broken into twice. One time was before i lived here, but the other time not only did i live here, but i was home when it happend. My roommates had come home from the bar late at night, and soon after i went to sleep. I get woken up at 4 in the moring by our dog going crazy. But he went crazy any time someone walked by in our yard (common where i live, college town and neighborhood) so i didnt think anything of it, then all of a sudden the dog stopped barking. I figured one of my roommates yelled at him to stop. Well it turns out that they all went across the street to hang out with the chicks that live over there and they didnt lock the door when they left. Some asshole just walked into out house and stole a brand new $2000 laptop and some DVD's. The thing that makes me so mad is that i could have gotten up and ran upstairs with my shotgun and stopped the person but i didnt because i thought my roommates were still home. To this day it angers me that i didnt get up and stop the thief from stealing stuff. Also the person who broke in beat up our dog. He couldnt walk right for a few weeks.
    Also it really angers me that the older people that live in the neighborhood blame inocent people like myself for the problems the neighborhood is having. They are so quick to blame college students instead of the trashy as minorities that live in the nieghborhood who are actually causing the problems. When i moved in 4 years ago you could leave anything in your car and no one cared. Now since all the blacks have started moving in you cant even leave some change in the cup holder without someone braking into your car. Its just plain sad. Living in a bad neighborhood of a bad town has really made me look at people differently.

16. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

its not enough proof to do anything about it. just believe karma will get this fucker and over time it will get less and less painful

17. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Oh, that is heartbreaking. Robbery and animal abuse. Dammit, I just don't GET some humans. I'm so sorry.
    I got a letter from our HOA the other day, stating there have been recent strings of afternoon robberies in our neighborhood. I stay home with my kids, so that doesn't make me feel so great. But, this is one more reason I feel I am doing the right thing by learning to use a pistol.

So, yeah, Inferno, I don't think one ever totally gets over being violated, but that's probably a good thing because he/she will be a bit more on guard, if it should ever happen again.

18. Inferno

Inferno New Member

danng, thats pretty freaky actually. That sucks how they hurt your dog, thats not even cool :(
    I'm trying to look on the bright side that my family or even my cats weren't hurt physically in the whole ordeal :hs: I live far, far east in my city, so I guess this isnt the safest neighborhood, and ever since this happened (like you said) I also look at everybody differently now. It almost seems like I can't trust anybody :sad2:

Yeah, I'm not going to do anybody about it, but I have faith that karma will eventually take its toll.

I don't know exactly how karma works, but I do believe that we live in a spiritual world because when I never have dreams, and it so happens that the night of the robbery, I had a dream that my shoes got stolen. I don't think that it's just a mere coincidence :o

I wish I had a gun, that'd make me feel much better at home.. but what can you do :o

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Maybe this is a good opportunity to become less attached to worldly possesions? Stuff doesn't make you happy. You lost some stuff. So what? I realize you feel violated... but you should stop. Get over it. Just do it. Let go.

20. Asgard

Asgard New Member

Why didnt you just bring your debit card to Europe and withdraw Euro's/whatever that way? If you bring cash, 99% of the exchange services inflate the currency rate by 20%

21. Inferno

Inferno New Member

This is what my parents told me, and I guess you're so damn right. But then what am I supposted to be attatched to :hsugh:

That sucks, but I'm glad that you got your money back.. if only.. if only :o

Well, I didn't think it would work, becuse Canadas network for bank machines is cirrus, and I thought europes was plus, but I guess that it is plus since my mom was able to use hers when she tried

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Be attached to human compassion and love, as opposed to bullshit possessions that bring you no happiness?

23. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

When I was younger, maybe about 7 or 8 we were robbed and $25k worth of jewelry was stolen, as well as about $5-6k worth of other stuff. We went to my grandma's 10 miles away for my brother's birthday, my dad was racing about 60 miles away, and we came home to that stuff stolen. To this day we dont know who stole it, the cops never really pursued anything. One of our neighbors said they had seen a suspicious looking woman checking out our house & the neighbors house earlier that night though.

We got an alarm system in the next house and never had any problems, but I still am pissed so much had been stolen from us, and that we'll never get it back.

24. Inferno

Inferno New Member

:o

You must really know how it feels then, really sucks eh? Did you guys have insurance? If not, then I can relate to you almost 100% :o