My hood isn't shiny...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Enkidu, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

Well I waxed a few weeks ago and everything turned out great, except one thing, my hood isn't shiny. The rest of the car is a mirror, and the hood looks pretty good also, but it is not the same quality as the rest of the car. Everything is a little bit foggier than the other parts of the car, but I spent just as much time with the polish/wax on the hood if not more. The color is also the same. Do you think it could be a lack of clearcoat or something? I'm not sure what's up, but it's definately noticible in sunlight when looking between the hood and other painted parts of the car.

Also I have quite a few rock chips on the car so I went to the dealer for touch up paint, turns out it is discontinued. Any ideas on where I could get some of that particular color in small amounts?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Sounds like you clear coat is beginning to deteriorate. Can you post pics (not monster sized ones, 600 x 480 should be big enough). If the clear coat is going, you will need the hood repainted.

Pep Boys carries a ton of touch up paint. Just look through what they have and see what matches the closest.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Does he have any alternatives to repainting? Repaints are expensive and always suck. A bug hitting regular paint will wash right off. A big hitting repaint will chip it. I have that problem on my mirrors. You look at the damn things and they chip.

Are repaints just not as good?

4. bmf

bmf Guest

I wonder if the hood was repainted already. Why would just the hood be a problem and all the other horizontal surfaces be fine? Unfortunately, ya can't polish a turd. If the clearcoat is failing there isn't much you can do. Even color sanding won't work consistently.

Shitty repaints = shitty prep + shitty application + shitty paint. Repaints done right can easily be better than any factory paint job. Problem is there are too many shops that do shit work. Key is to find the right shop and the right painter.

5. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

Maybe it has already been repainted. There are sooooo many chips, maybe from what was said about bugs causing chips on a repaint while on normal paint it washes off. I seriously have never seen this many chips. Sorry I don't have a digital cam for pics.

6. Scottwax

Could be or the paint on the whole car is marginal and the heat from the engine is enough to affect the paint.

Unfortunately, that is way too often the case.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

What do you think about my mirrors, bmf? Shitty paint job?

8. Scottwax

EMT-they do make bras for mirrors.

9. bmf

bmf Guest

Pics of mirrors?

I assume you still drive the car in your profile. A good GM paint job would surprise me, not a shitty one. GM's been having paint probs since before you were born. :(

I can't speak for your mirrors, I didn't paint them nor did I pick the body shop to do the work. :dunno:

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yeah, I'm still driving the Malibu. See, the mirrors were fine until I had both of them replaced. Some woman clipped one of them off and the other one stopped working. They were both replaced and repainted to match my car before they were put on. Within 3 days, they were chipping. I had to get one done at the dealership, since it was under warranty, but the other one I took to a body shop that I won't be using anymore. This was before I knew anything about detailing cars.

Someone hit me and fucked up my left rear quarterpanel. They quoted me a price to replace my entire bumper (plastic) and then repair the damage to the metal (above the bumper). Well, when I got the car back, they didn't replace the bumper, they didn't even repaint the whole thing. I knew this because there was a scratch above the license plate area. That would have been gone had they replaced the bumper or even repainted the entire thing. Also, the paint has orange-peel in a 3"x5" area on the bumper and there's a fly stuck in the paint in the same area. Only thing I can think of is that they let it dry outside.

They also never replaced the carpet in my trunk. It was still all pulled back when I opened it. I also found a roll of duct tape and some kind of shaving device, kinda looked like a cheese grater in there. I don't know what the hell they were doing with my car. :confused:

11. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

My hood turned out pretty shiny this week.

I was at home this week, and, had a few unexpected days of warm weather.

I used
    Clay'd the front end
    Mirror Glaze Fine Cut Cleaner (twice)
    Mirror Glaze Showcar Glaze
    S100 Cleaner
    S100 Wax

Due to a weird set of circumstances, I only got the front of the car done, and, only a few pics of the hood only.

Anyhow, here she is:

tree reflection - hazy, cold day
    [​IMG]

same cold day, reflection of shed
    [​IMG]

just a reference pic, shows true color :)
    [​IMG]