My home theater speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Jul 12, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

My front speakers are meh, there are a JVC boombox "3-way speakers" it has a high and low input on the back.
    [​IMG]

My Center is a b&w "front speaker" dm600 s3 speaker. It was a pair at one time, but the other one broke or something, so I picked this one up for 50 bucks. The best speaker in the whole setup.
    [​IMG]

Rears are from my old panasonic boombox, again with high and low inputs on the back. The tweeters dont work anymore for some reason, so they are "2 way speakers" now, 3" speaker and 4" bass driver in the box.
    [​IMG]

How its all hooked up (get ready for it!)

Reciever: Yamaha RXV450
    Front speaker outputs go to the high inputs of those JVC boxes, that gives sound to the 1" tweet and the 2.5" speaker. I have the settings on the amp to cross over the front/sub at 140hz, so that little 2.5" doesnt go lower than 140, im sure it can do it.
    Center output, to the b&w
    Rear outputs go to the high inputs of my panasonic box, so really its just a 3" speaker for the rear
    edit: that picture sucked, heres a better one: [​IMG]

All of this signal to the amp is optical from the computer and the 360. There is RCA in for the cable, audio out from tv goes to vcr in on the amp.

I have 1 sub out rca connector, so I split it so it has 2, and used that to go into the input on the back of that JVC amp, and the jvc amp only has the lows hooked up, which go into the low inputs on the JVC speakers, which only power the 6.5" subs. So that gives me 2x70w 6.5" subs.
    [​IMG]

The rear "bass speaker" only comes on with the panasonic amp, which gets a rear output from the computer. It gets straight RCAs from the rear out on the computer, so I can still use optical to the amp, but when I want the rears a little louder/more powered I can turn on the other amp. Works good for surround movies, typically though I leave it off, because most of the sound is coming from the front anyways.

I live in an apartment so its not like I can turn it up real loud anyways. the 2 6.5" subs take up to 140hz, so when I turn them off I still get to "hear" the bass, but it doesnt go low, so its good for late night stuff and I can still hear it.
    That JVC amp acts as simply a sub amp with a remote, so I just use the remote to turn up the bass if I want.

From the high end systems ive listened to I give this a 8/10 for sound quality. Not too bad for a 700$ system I would think.

Things I would change: Some good front tower speakers would be nice, but then again im in an apartment.
    Back speakers wont be on the floor facing up, though it does decent for rear fill, it doesnt sound as good as it could if it had a real stand.
    Other than that I dont know, if I crank up the jvc amp I know you can hear through the whole building (and that means 2 stories up too) so my bass is good.
    But if I lived in a big house Id probably get some more powerful speakers all around if I had cash.

2. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

Please say you really did not pay $700 for that "system". :hs:

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

4. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I'm thinking it includes the Xbox 360... At least I hope.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

6. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

Yes, and hopefully it was one of the $600 bundles.

7. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Um, what high end systems would those be?

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

symphony from wal-mart

edit: we all gotta start somewhere. nice receiver tho!