My home PC is acting up. Suggestions or help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WuSoldjr, Sep 29, 2006.

1. WuSoldjr

WuSoldjr I see you're using an old style. I wonder where y

Win XP Pro
    3ghz p4
    1gig DDR PC3200 RAM
    Linksys Etherfast Cable Modem
    Linksys [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]WRT54G Router

I have an Xbox 360 and my PC connected to the router by ethernet cable, and a laptop through wireless.

This is a new problem for me, and I'm at a loss of what to do. :noes:

My PC is showing me the "network cable is unplugged" message. I triple checked all my connections and it all looks good. My wireless router isn't sending out a signal. My PC, Xbox and laptop won't connect to the internet. To make matters worse, my PC has been shutting down on its own. The temperature in the case is fine, I have two fans in there and the side panel of the tower is removed to keep the temp down. I turn my PC on and it will stay on for maybe 5 - 10 minutes but then it will shut down.

I'm not sure what else you may need for info, but any suggestions are welcome.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

The PC turning off after 5 minutes could be a result of the video card overheating. By chance are you using charter cable with that Linksys router?

3. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"The temperature in the case is fine, I have two fans in there and the side panel of the tower is removed to keep the temp down. I turn my PC on and it will stay on for maybe 5 - 10 minutes but then it will shut down."

just cause you opened up the side panel doesn't mean your computer isn't overheating, if there's no air circulating (which is basically what happened when you opened the side panel and made an open container), then heat will still build up. try opening the side panel and putting a regular box fan directly on it. if you computer doesn't shut off under heavy use, then some part of the computer is overheating and you need to address it (box fan is not a real solution).

as for the internet. i would plug the computer directly into the cable modem, see if it'll connect then. if it will then you need to play around with your router. perhaps a bad port or something.

if it still won't work plugged diretly into the cable modem, check that you have the proper cable (there are difff types of cables, cross over roll over etc.) and it works fine.

if it wont work in the cable modem/router and see it, perhaps your NIC is fucked up. i'd reinstall drivers/pop in another PCI/usb nic and test that.

that's all i feel like writing for now, lemme know how it goes.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you keep getting network cable unplugged message, it sounds like the router is on it's way out. I had a switch here do that on and off last week until it just completely died late last week.

As for the PC just shutting off, sounds like it could be heat. You may think things are not running hot, but install a temp monitoring app and see what the actual temps are.

5. WuSoldjr

WuSoldjr I see you're using an old style. I wonder where y

I figured it out. There was a huge dust bunny in the processor fan. It was preventing it from spinning.

As far as the network cable unplugged notice, my neighbor who I allow to use my network had his PC disconnected.

Thanks for the help. :bigthumb:

6. dew

dew Banned

overheating.

7. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

install a program called Everest. dont feel like getting the link, but google it. itll tell you temp readings if you have a sensor