My hip popped during squats...Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by disblohs, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

I'm currently going to a chiropractor for lower back issues, neck problems, and uneven hips. When he took X-rays it was evident that my right hip is higher than my left. I've been going for two weeks and the pain in my hip had pretty much disappeared and I had no pain while squatting.

Well, Friday night I was squatting and on the last rep of my last set my hip popped out of the position he adjusted it to and I believe went right back into the location it had been it when it was hurting. My right arm started tingling, my right hamstring and right glute got really tense, and my hip was really tight. The pain went away and today it feels like it did before I started going to the chiropractor, but there's slightly more pain if I try to cross my right leg over my body. Since I don't want this to happen again, I'm looking for some suggestions.

People on AFBoard suggested this is due to a muscle imbalance and I'm wondering what some good exercises would be to try to correct this imbalance. Also, I divebomb pretty much all my squats and have a stance that's definitely outside of shoulder width. The reason I was doing a wider stance was because of the hip pain I was having before. When I did wide stance squats there was less pain, but when I did close stance squats the pain was much more pronounced. The problem is that the wider stance squats leave my hips more vulnerable which I believe is the reason for it popping out of place on Friday. Should I get it popped back into place, switch to close stance squats, and try to make the eccentric portion of the lift longer so that I don't use as much rebound out of the hole?

Cliffs: How can I correct a muscle imbalance that is causing my right hip to sit higher than my left and should I be doing close stance squats with a slower eccentric rather than a wide stance squat and dive bombing down into the hole?

2. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Box squats, no rebound out of hole.

3. disblohs

Do you think the rebound out of the hole is contributing to the aggravation to my hip?

4. Yoked

Yoked New Member

dive bomb and wide stance shouldnt be used in the same sentence

get some powerpants from inzer

5. disblohs

I thought it was pretty common when lifting raw?

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

what's dive bomb? :noes:

7. Yoked

Yoked New Member

divebombing is something for narrow stance squatters, not wide stance. it'll tear your hips up (as you have noticed)

8. disblohs

I definitely don't go as wide as a lot of people I've seen; It's probably more between shoulder width and what's considered wide. I think after I get my hip adjusted I'll stick with closer stance squats as long as they don't aggravate my hip.

9. disblohs

The eccentric portion of the lift is done very quickly to take advantage of the elastic properties of the muscle. There is stored energy when the muscle is stretched, much like a rubber band, which will help you drive out of the bottom of a squat. Think about it in terms of benching. Doing a paused bench is a lot more difficult than a touch and go for the same reason.

This is all my understanding of it which may not be 100% accurate. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

10. Yoked

Yoked New Member

I've got a pair of powerpants you can have... never been used and should be big on you... single ply with minimal carryover. Just good hip support.

lemme know.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:cool:

I was dive bombing earlier doing squats and my stance is usually pretty wide... rather than feeling it in my hips though I really felt the pressure on my lumbar... it doesn't hurt now but it feels like it went through a rough day.

full squats with a close stance seem really uncomfortable to me, so I guess I'll stick with the stance but give a quick pause or just move slower rather than snapping from down to up.

I had a lot of hip pain starting out with squats... do you stretch your hip flexors and do stuff like goblet squats to warm up? that really helps me.

12. disblohs

That would be awesome. I'm pretty damn small though so hopefully they'll stay on :x:

13. disblohs

Oddly enough, I feel it in my lumbar when I'm ramping up in weight, but not at all on my heavy sets. I think it's because I don't bounce out of the hole nearly as much on heavier sets just because the load is heavy and bar speed is much slower.

I do dynamic warmup stuff everyday before the gym including bird dogs, fire hydrants, and other things I saw on the magnificent mobility dvd.

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

dynamic warmups are great but what's really helped me as far as relieving some pretty serious hip pain I had was stretchign the hip flexors, which allows the pelvis to sit more anteriorly and therefore the femur isn't jammed up against the hip socket at the bottom of your rep (if you're feeling it in the front of your hip right under the hip flexor, that's possibly what's going on).

Pretty simple shit but it makes a world of difference in my case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.