My hard drive just died on me.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by assclown, Aug 12, 2008.

1. assclown

assclown Active Member

My girlfriend was using my macbook black to browse craigslist today. I asked to see something, so she handed it over and when I went to move my mouse, I noticed my dock was stuck in a weird shape (genie effect) and nothing was responding. I also heard a clicking sound coming from the laptop.

It happened out of the blue. One second it was fine, the next second it was clicking. I restarted the laptop and got a gray screen with a folder icon that had a question mark in the center. I couldn't boot from CD either.

Anyway, I took it to Apple for the hell of it and a genius confirmed that it was the hard drive. I took it home and popped the hard drive out in about two minutes. When I shake the drive, there is something rattling in there.

Seems very odd that this would happen out of the blue like that. The same thing happened to my old iBook three times before it was replaced for this laptop.

Unfortunately this laptop is out of warranty, so I need to grab a new drive for it. Any suggestions on what to go with? It had a Fujitsu MHV2120bh pl which is a 5400RPM 1.5GB/S 120GB drive, so the specs on a new drive will at least match that.

2. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

Same thing happened to me. I just went up to Best Buy and put a 250 GB Western Digital in it, and put the old drive in an external USB / Firewire enclosure. About a day after I removed it, the dead drive booted up and I was able to get my data off.

Good luck!

3. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

the rattle noise is NORMAL, all drives do that. Maybe it got too hot... try it an external usb enclosure.

4. ady

ady New Member

Have you tried it again since taking the drive out? I've had this same sort of thing happen on two windows latops. Taking the drive out and reseating it fixed it.

5. assclown

assclown Active Member

I haven't tried it again but was thinking about it. I'll give it a shot! Thank you :)

I'm still going to replace the drive because I can't risk it dying while I'm doing a gig. I often use Serato Scratch Live with the laptop. :hs:

6. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

This was worked for me in the past with a few locked up drives. Once you've replaced it and have an external kit for it, place the old HD in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Plug it in and if it mounts, pull everything off there quickly.

What usually happens is the heads get stuck and the freezing process contracts the metal enough to free them up. But once it warms up it may just fail again.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

happened to my powerbook

take the drive out
    remove the metal cover
    use the correct driver to turn the platters

what that did for mine is pushed the needle back into place so i could spin it up in an external enclosure. then i got all my info off of it. the drive is shot though

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've never had a drive work for longer than 5 mins after opening it. i have had the drive in the freezer trick work for a couple of drives, but then they die afterwards for sure

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yeah it generally works long enough to get some files off of it.

10. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

when your girlfriend handed it over to you, was it open, and was she holding it with one hand? one thing that could have possibly happened would be if she was holding it with one hand, and had her thumb on the hard drive, and all that weight was weighing it down, therefore putting pressure on the hard drive and could create an issue with it. it's just a guess. I'm probably wrong, but you never know

11. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

True.

Hey TS, is your g/f huge & green? You know, like the HULK?

12. hurleyint1386

She doesn't have to be strong. Leverage could cause a lot of weight on the hard drive.

13. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

14. assclown

assclown Active Member

I forget how she was holding it, but it was open. I'm not sure if it had already failed before she handed it over to me. It may have because when I took my first look at it, the dock was already stuck.

I tried popping it back in but no dice. Luckily I didn't have anything important on it. I don't keep too many things on the laptop, and I recently formatted so it was pretty empty. :hs:

15. hurleyint1386

Have Apple Care?

16. assclown

assclown Active Member

Expired a long time ago :hs:

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

pics of girlfriend? :x:

18. hurleyint1386

So you must not have actually gotten Apple Care. Because the MacBook's came out in 2006, and Apple Care would have covered it until 2009.

19. apollojw

apollojw New Member

for your drive that just corrupted, you might wanna try a thing called the blacX , its a device that you can quickly put different sata hdds into and eject quickly to switch between them. idk if you have any other internal hdds that you use... but its like 50 bucks and theyre pretty sweet.

20. assclown

assclown Active Member

I'm actually a little confused about my AppleCare. According to the genius at the Apple store, it had expired back in 01/07.

Here's the thing, I got an iBook from school back in 01/06 that came with AppleCare. Around 12/06, my iBook was having some issues and I was credited for $1,000 by Apple. I put some extra cash in and ended up getting this MacBook. I transferred my AppleCare over to the MacBook.

Isn't AppleCare supposed to last 3 years? For some reason I think the AppleCare on my iBook was only good for only 2 years, but the guy at the Apple store told me it expired in 01/07. Maybe it expired 01/08, but if all AppleCare plans on iBooks were for 3 years, it should be good until 01/09. Did they recently change it to 3 years?

21. hurleyint1386

It's always been 3 years. Go to http://www.apple.com/support/oss/ and type in your serial number. It'll let you know when your Apple Care is up. Because of what happened with the iBook, it could get a little tricky. They might have transferred the iBook Apple Care over to the MacBook, or they may have given you the standard one year.

22. assclown

assclown Active Member

I remember transferring it over, but the site says:

MacBook (13-inch Late 2006)
    Serial #: 4H6451XXXXX
    United States
    Out of Warranty

Maybe I should try calling to see what happened. I remember transferring it over the phone. :dunno: