My gym doesn't have free-weights anymore!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Julu, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julu

Julu Member

So I finally decide to take my fitness to the next level, go down to my gym in my building and.....there before me is full workout station, two excersize bikes and a treadmill. There's more than enough there to get me going, but my question is, are there routines out there designed for workout stations?

I had done all my research and was ready to go with "Christopher's Routine" (but girlyfied)...but NO FREE-WEIGHTS!!!:squint:

My current routine is 5 days of an hour of cardio, 3-5 days of approximately 400 crunches and some light (I mean light) strenth training. So I'm ready to take the next step!

BTW
    Female, 29
    5'4", 118 pounds
    Approximately %19 body fat

2. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

please don't use christophers routine. If you need any help we'll design one more suitable for your goals.

as for the free weights thing. Yeah that sucks, see where you can get

3. pt

pt New Member

Better yet... just eat and lift... fuck the details. :mamoru:

4. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

she's a girl

5. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

wtf is wrong with bill starrs routine?

atleast work each muscle group more than once a week.

6. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

nothing if strength is your primary concern

7. Julu

Julu Member

Ya I lurk here all the time and find it a bit hard to get sound advice for us ladies. But I figured I'd "Man-up" and start lifting, just to tone the progress I've done.

I modified my eating habbits almost two years ago and haven't looked back! And from reading the treads in F&T I've gotten awsome tips ...who knew we needed so much protien!:rofl:

Anyhow I live in an apartement so I can invest in my own free-wieghts just yet (no room:wtc: ) and since the gym in building is free, I'll be sticking with that.

No pics to post...I'll wait for that, but the stats are in my original post :hsugh:

Ju

8. grampositivecocci

:ugh:

9. disblohs

:coolugh:

edit: let's not get into this argument again. i made my point enough times.

10. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

yew people reek of ignorance and internet geniousness at the same time

bravo

11. Julu

Julu Member

K...well didn't mean to start a flame war (although I was ready for flaming towards myself)...perhaps someone should lock this thread:sadwavey:

Ju

12. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

Its not your fault, this forum is full of people who give advice and argue ad nauseum without any real reason.

As far as your original post goes, a routine like christophers' is great, but you really need a gym with free weights and a power rack to pull it off. I suggest you find one where you are comfortable and have at it.

13. disblohs

would you recommend that solely for building a base?

14. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

female....male....young....old....bb...pl....whatever, for the most part (baring serious physical limitation or injury) the best thing to do in the beginning is to learn the compound lifts, and do them as frequently as possible. So yes, that routine builds a great base b/c of the fact that you are doing the basics, and doing them often. The only thing I would change for a her is to make the reps a little higher in the beginning to get even more practice.

As far as being soley for a base....depends on where the athlete is looking to go. It can be a decent program for most sport specific lifters in high school and even college if it is periodized for the competitive season. For a bodybuilder it is probably only good for a base, but a ton of people think that a base is one trianing cycle, a base is built over a few years IMO.

15. disblohs

i'm not sure if you've seen the thread where i was pretty much ragging the shit ouf that routine. anyway, i was on that routine for 2 months or so and i was doing a combination of "a calorie is a calorie" and "eat everything in sight". i saw strength gains, but i think i could have put on more lbm following a different routine/diet plan.

i know what you're saying about building a base over a few years. i just don't think that someone that is going for primarily aesthetics should go on this routine expecting it to make them look good. i started it after lifting for about 6 months. i don't think i had a good base at this point, but i also don't think i had a terrible base to work with. i think my animosity towards the routine stems from the fact that if i had a routine/diet plan that was tailored to my goals, i feel that i would have progressed more over the course of this summer.

16. grampositivecocci

ffs man just give it up

17. disblohs

explain to me what was wrong with what i just said. i'd love to hear you have to say about the matter.

18. grampositivecocci

cliffs
    I ate like shit, was lazy and I blame this routine because its for powerlifters only rarrrrrrr

19. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

20. disblohs

that's all you've got? i ate like shit because everyone said "a calorie is a calorie" and other bullshit like that. my bad for thinking people actually knew what was going on in life. i wasn't lazy considering i got a lot stronger on the routine, as i've stated before. hell, in 2 months i almost caught up to your "powerlifting" ass. fucking sad.

21. grampositivecocci

he was already fat, surely he could understand that itd make him fatter to go way over maintenance

or wait maybe this cock lips been lifting for 2 motnhs and has no idea what hes talking about

22. grampositivecocci

no you didnt

23. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

the truth is that the routine only works as well as you do. The biggest problem I see with beginners on a routine like this is that they are not familiar enough with the lifts nor with the effort it takes to push themselves hard enough. I always start people with a higher rep scheme and work them into the 5's and 4's and 3's. I want to see vomit or a fetal position, otherwise the trainne isn't putting what he/she can into the lifts. People get "not lifting to failure" confused with "not going outside of the comfort zone". If you don't feel like quiting by the 4th set of squats b/c your legs are jello and you can't imagine getting back under the bar, then you aren't working hard enough. If you are working that hard then congrats, eat like a horse and watch yourself grow.

24. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

cliffs: powerlifting isn't "easy" and requires more effort than most are willing and able to give hence they do a pl routine and get fat and blame the routine.

25. disblohs

i was on that routine for 2 months, not lifting for 2 months.

also, the only thing you were really stronger than me on is deadlift. i started deadlifting and squatting when i started that routine. in those 2 months i got my squat up to 305X5, bench 215X4, and deadlift was at a shitty 295X4. what were yours again? 330X1? 220X1? and 400X1? i don't know maxes, but i'm sure i could have come damn close or more than squat and bench. you blew me away in deadlift, i realize. however, quit acting like you're hot shit when you don't have the stats to back it up.

at least i acknowledge that my numbers are shitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.