SRS My Grandmother just died

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dk01, Mar 31, 2008.

1. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

My grandmother just died of a massive stroke. She was an amazing person, had spiked gray hair, and wore bright pink lipstick. She was a real character and had many many friends. She was seventy but was in very very good health. They have no idea why she got a clot all of a sudden. This comes out of the blue. She and I are very close. I guess I am lucky that I am 23 and have never lost someone I loved so much, but its traumatic. I find myself breaking down at random times for no apparent reason.

2. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

I feel for you. I've yet to lose anyone, even grandparents, and I'm dreading the day I do because I have no idea how I'm going to react.

Its hard to see it now, but she lived what sounds like 70 amazing years, no one can complain with that. Of course you're going to be sad now, but try to look at celebrating her life rather than mourning her death. As time goes by it will get easier. Best of luck to you, and my condolences :hug:

3. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

Sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds like a person who really lived her life. Not a lot of people can say that. It's ok to break down. I hope you find some peace of mind in your time of sadness.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Grief is how the brain of adjusts to a new paradigm, running through old thought patterns over and over until it's obvious that they're useless, so they can be dismantled and replaced with new ones. Don't fight it.

Sorry for your loss.

5. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

dealing with life and death is never an easy thing, especially when your hand has been forced. I am dealing with a mother who is terminaly ill from brain cancer, and has lost virtually all her motor skills, speech, etc. Just 6 months ago she was a happy, bouncy lady, who actually worked at the hospital she wound up in.

I feel your struggle.

For me, I see life kind of like a radio wave. Now, bear in mind i do not think i understand much about the world, where we come from, where we go, etc. I see life like radio waves. Radio waves are always there. However, you need a radio, knobs and dials, and electricity to provide the conditions for that radio wave to manifest itself in a way that I can understand, which is by sounds. I cannot see the waves, touch or feel them, but they are there. To me, life is the same. When all the conditions are there, that "life" will manifest itself into something i can understand. When those conditions cease to arise, such as death of the body, then life is unable to manifest itself into something I can understand, see, feel and touch. I do not know if it is gone, coming again, still there-but I dont need to know.

It was kind of rambling, but it helps me to just kinda throw it all out there.

6. Zot

Zot OT Supporter

I'm sorry to hear that...I can't even imagine how bad it must feel.

May she rest in peace...and I hope you feel better very soon.

7. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

My sympathies. I just lost my grandmother of 72 to lung cancer (she hadn't smoked for 30 years). Like yours, my grandmother was always in good health until right before the end. She died one month to the day of being diagnosed. It was weird, because before the diagnosis you would never have known something was wrong. In less than a month she got all of her affairs in order, made arrangements, had her final talks with her children, etc. I think only the last couple of days were bad for her, but hospice made her as comfortable as possible.

I've lost grandparents before, but at a younger age so this one really hit me hard. I couldn't believe that she was able to accept death and show such calmness about the fact that she wouldn't be alive in a week. I hope that if I'm lucky enough to live that long, I can be as graceful in death.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

My condolences on your loss.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You're a good candidate for Buddhism. They believe that all percievable things -- people, trees, the dishes in your cabinets -- are the manifestations of processes, and it's these processes that connect people from one life to the next. On the other hand, Hindus believe in something more like a soul that transfers from one body to the next, but I think the Buddhists have got it right.

10. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

OP I feel your pain. In the course of 4 years I lost my sister, grand mother, grand father, mother and a friend.

Sister and mother were tragic pointless deaths, the rest died of natural cause.

Been years now and I still find myself crying randomly.

It's a part of the process I suppose.