GUN My Glock broke :wtc:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GarandBobcat, Mar 5, 2009.

1. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

So today, I'm at my department's range quals.
    Nothing real challenging, just empty our 3 mags (15rds each), plus chambered round, in the process of a couple drills that are POST-mandated for basic peace officer certification. We have to do this drill every year, I'm pretty sure.

The gun is an issued Glock 22C with M3 light, .40 S&W, shooting Hornady TAP CQ and a couple Winchester Ranger-T (RA40T load) ammo.

so it's 1 mag at 3 yards, one-handed, from the hip, 5 rounds at a time (well, the last one is 6 owing to the +1 round).
    Well, my slide is locking back about every other shot, sometimes every shot.
    I'm pretty damn sure I'm not limp-wristing, and I know I'm not touching the slide lock lever.

Gun runs dry, reload, move back to 7 yards and shoot two-handed, same strings: 5 shots, 5 shots, 5 shots, reload from dry.
    Slide locks back prematurely a few more times, 3 or 4, and I know that 1 might be me, since I have a funky grip style, but the rest I'm sure aren't.

Same thing happens when we move back to 15 yards after the reload, but only a couple times.

After it's done and we're cleaning up brass, one of the rangemasters comes up to me and says "hey, what's up with your gun? kept messing up on you there."
    I say "dunno, I've never had that happen before, it just kept locking open even with rounds still in the mag."
    So he says "go over there when we finish picking up and have Greg look at it. something might be worn out or something like that." [Greg is the assistant armorer and one of the senior rangemasters for the department]

So I go clean the pistol first, then go to Greg and say "hey, the other guy said to have you look at my weapon. wtf is going on?"
    Greg says "well, are you sure you're not limp-wristing? What's your grip like when two-handed?"
    I explain that my grip is a semi-IPSC-style thumbs forward grip, and I demonstrate to him, including my method of avoiding activating the slide lock. I also explain that I've never had a limp-wristing problem, even last month on a nearly identical course of fire with this same gun.

so he decides to wring it out some. I've just refilled my mags with fresh duty ammo--Win. RA40T all the way--and he grabs a couple of my mags, then goes to the line for a test run.

Two-handed, at 7, he has maybe one lockback. Then he goes to the 3, and one-handed.

Premature lock city. Every round, sometimes every other, the gun locks open with ammo remaining in the mag.

I'm like WTF, since this is my issued duty gun, and I'm supposed to trust my life to its reliable function.
    He's like WTF, too, since even He-Man the Range Master is having the same problem as The Kid.

So he strips the gun, again. Thinks something's up with the slide lock/release lever's spring. thinks the lever itself might be a little off.
    Looks at the mags. Gen 7 and Gen 8 followers, pretty darn new.
    Looks at gun's serial number, decides it's pretty old, but shouldn't be that worn.
    then sees a problem. The locking block pin is snapped in two. Only one of those two is still in the gun.

Greg says "well there's your problem. the lever bears some against this pin, probably without the left half of the pin, the lever's jumping around under recoil and sometimes just gets the timing right to catch the slide back."

I say "oh great, my Glock is down. Now what? I've got to get back to work, and I have a gun that won't."

So he replaced my busted-ass pin with the intact one from his duty pistol: he's a cool guy. Then he tells me that he's seen 7 or 8 other Glocks in the department exhibit the same problem recently.

So I have a fixed Glock--which only broke through normal wear and tear--and all new duty ammo.
    I dumped another mag through it, from the hip and from a normal two-hands stance, and it worked fine.

And it only took 45 minutes longer than a range should have.

CLIFFS: Glock 22C locking back. Not limpwristing. Locking Block pin broken, probably from regular wear and tear. One of several in the department to have this problem lately.
    Pin replaced from armorer's personal gun.
    My gun works now, and I have all new ammo.

Glocks aren't all that great.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

were you professional enough?

3. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I have to assume so, since nobody was actually ND'd. That I know of.

:walkoffwhistling:

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:hsd: i'm just glad you found the problem at range and not while using your piece in the line of duty.

5. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

fucking :werd:

Get into a gunfight and "Oh SHIT! my gun doesn't keep going when it should! FUCK!!!!"

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I've broke every pin in the glock at some point. Most recently I broke a trigger pin 2 weeks ago. Did not notice until I stripped the gun down for cleaning.

The wire nubbin of the slide release has to be under the locking block pin. That is why when you reassemble the trigger they always say put the locking block pin in first, then install the slide release, then lastly the trigger pin to hold it together. If your slide is intermitently locking back it is usually because the wire nubbing jumped the pin, the wire nubbin broke, or your locking block pin broke.

Pin and springs are wear parts they break on every platform/gun. Even with a broken pin your gun was able to fire. If you knew it was the slide release you could of hold it down with your shooting thumb as you shot.

Another part that breaks is trigger springs. When your trigger spring breaks the gun still fires but your trigger pull weight goes up 5 lbs.

7. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I don't know about replacing the innermost guts of the thing, even stuff like that. I'm just surprised that a gun which probably sees under 1k per year had this happen. It might be 7-8 years old though.
    I'm only authorized to do a basic field strip of my issued pistol, so that's all I do to it, and it's the only Glock I have in my possession.

8. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I'll have to inspect my Glock 22. I carry that as a duty weapon as well. It's about 6 years old already.

9. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

It's been my gun exclusively so I know it's been taken care of. I don't shoot that often so hopefully mine still has some life in it. :hs:

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yes I've heard it before. Many departments do not trust their officers to do maintience on their duty guns and probably for good reason in some cases. Even still if this is a tool that you are going to bet your life with it would be wise to framilarize yourself with how it works. When stuff breaks it is usually when you can least afford it. If it were my duty gun I would say screw department policy and I would break it down to inspect the striker tip, check for cracks in pins, and keep a really good eye on the hooks of the trigger spring.

The glock is a mechanical device like any other machine it will break. Granted it is a very simple machine for what it does so it has less parts to break but it is still a machine. The glock can still fire with all of the pins half broken, 3 out of 4 frame rails, and no trigger spring.

Lastly many glock armorers are idiots. They are not gunsmiths. To use my gunsmiths term they are "gun plumbers"

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

You should really check the springs, especially magazine springs. The constant loading and unloading is hell on springs. We recommend that any gun you bet your life on (or ego if your a competition shooter) should have every spring changed out once a year for general principal.

Mag spring, recoil spring, striker spring, firing pin safety spring, and trigger spring.

12. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

pics of fubar grip?

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Great chance to practice malfunction drills. :big grin:

14. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Let me see if I can dig up one from that pistol class Hoss and I went to back in November... I don't have any current shots of it that I know of.

ETA: nope. No pics from that showing the thumb side, anyway. Lots of right-side pictures, but that wouldn't be the problem area. I'll see if I can borrow Hoss or Panzer and a camera to get some example photos for y'all to critique.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  15. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Only problem I've ever had was with my 2nd gen G19 from 1989. The gun sat in a safe for 15 years and it took its toll on the metal parts in the gun.

It got to the point that if you pulled the trigger straight back, nothing would happen. You would have to pull it back and to the side to get it to engage because the contact points were corroded, although visible inspection didn't show much. I replaced the whole assembly and all was fine, but I've since sent it back to Glock and they pretty much replaced everything but the frame, slide and barrel for no cost at all (they even replaced the sights because one had a dent in it from dropping the gun). She's as good as new now.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your troubles and glad you got it fixed :cool:

16. john in jax

john in jax New Member

Dude I hate to nit pick but your life could depend on that pistol and . . .

Exactly how much attention do you pay to the tool your life might depend on when you were/are cleaning it? I would think a hole where a pin should be would be very noticeable to somebody cleaning their weapon and trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

You may not be required to know your weapon inside and out, but I think you'd be better off if you did.

17. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Here's the thing. You're right.
    I noticed that it seemed like I only had half a pin in there...as I was cleaning it this time. I hadn't had it out before to clean it, since I hadn't been able to get it to the range since the last department shoot, a month ago exactly. I'd maybe gotten it out to perform a chamber check before work, but I wasn't looking at the side of the frame. I expected that since it was in working order the last time I used it, it would still be that way.

Stupid, I know.

Frankly, you're right about knowing some details, and I should have started looking into that the day I was issued the pistol, and I didn't.

Believe you me, I feel pretty damn stupid about it. I usually am not this bad about things like that--or, I thought so before yesterday.
    I'll be checking a lot more things than just the chamber, in future.

:Ownedd:

18. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Why would you carry a compensated 22 as a duty weapon?
    Are you a metermaid?

19. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Whats wrong with a compensated pistol?

20. smartypants

smartypants New Member

They're patently unnecessary in handgun calibers and they obscure sight picture.
    Also, it's more more area to collect lint, dust, and crud.

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I think it's a requirement for his department.

22. smartypants

smartypants New Member

fair enough.

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Glad you got it worked out in training instead of when you depend on it later :wavey:

24. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Wait! Time out! My gun isn't working!

25. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I've had dreams like that.
    Also dreams where my ammo was all crumbly like chalk.:noes: