my gfx card is making a crazy noise :/

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IceMurder, May 9, 2007.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i just built a new computer about a week ago and today i bought half life 2 and started to play it. it was running fine for about 20 minutes and then i noticed a loud high pitched noise coming from my video card...when i close half life the noise stops but when i open it again the noise starts again. ive taken the side of my case off and it has to be coming from the video card, im guessing its the fan? what do you guys think? oh and the card is a pci-e geforce 7900 GS KO if that will help at all...

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

3. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

did yours make the same kind of noise? its like a squeal or a whine, and its really high pitched...it sounds really bad and not normal...

4. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

and this noise only happens in half life 2...ive been playing counter strike for the first half life for a week on this computer and had no noise at all...:dunno:

5. Doc Brown

No, mine didn't make a squeel or whine. It was just plain loud.

But with the Zalman on the lowest setting I can barely hear my computer bootup.

6. Doc Brown

It's for sure the fan. It's possible that the bearing isn't quite right with it.

If you can, put the flat of your index finger lightly against it when it's making that sound.

Just enough to make the fan slow down for a second.

See if it quiets down when it speeds back up. If it does, it's the bearing in the fan.

7. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

well its not the fan because i stopped it with my finger and it still made the noise...maybe its not the gfx card....its more like a buzzing noise coming from somewhere now that i listen to it closer...and it does it sometimes when i open programs as well as playing HL2...what else could it be? you know the buzzing noise that big florescent light bulbs make? thats kinda what it sounds like...

8. Doc Brown

It still sounds like a fan to me.

What about case fans, or hopefully not the cpu fan? Can you tap those with your finger?

Because if it's not those, it might be your hard drive, which is a bad thing.

9. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

checked all the fans, its none of them...if it were my hd wouldnt it happen more often than just when i play a game?

10. Create

Create :free at last:

It could be that you only run out of RAM when playing HL2, thus requiring the machine to use HDD space for additional memory, thus straining the HDD and producing the noise (an indicator of imminent failure).

That's quite a fucking stretch, though. It's much more likely you overlooked a bad fan.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have, on occasion, heard an electronic whining sound coming from my video card when I run benchmarks on it. I think it's normal -- lots of electronic components hum or whine when they're running.

12. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

I took the gfx card back to the store where i bought it and exchanged it, now the noise is gone...for now :x:

I guess it was a defective card or something, maybe a bad capacitor or something... :dunno:

13. deusexaethera

I dunno, I think faulty capacitors are fun. How else can you pack so much explosive power onto a circuit board?

14. Doc Brown

Scares the shit out of you when you're working on it at the time though.

15. deusexaethera

I had a 100mF capacitor inside a 220V UPS unit explode once, when I turned it on after it sat for about a year. You want to talk about scary? I thought I was going to get torn apart by shrapnel. :noes: