My G: drive is corrupted and unreadable... how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I was browsing the internet normally and doing nothing out of the ordinary when I attempted to access my G: drive which embodies the entirety of my Seagate SATAII 320gb HDD. Upon attempting to access it, my computer suddenly reacted very sluggishly and intermittently paused for 3 minutes between 5-6 seconds of activity at which point I could briefly use my mouse. Thinking it was a temporary glitch, I restarted my computer and awaited for it to reboot. However, upon loading Windows XP, my computer continued to have intermittent pauses of 3 minutes between 5-6 seconds of activity. I left my computer alone for about 1-2 hours and just came back. The computer is functioning fine but whenever I attempt to access my G: drive it reports that it is corrupted and unreadable. All files originating from G: drive are malfunctioning and even my custom Windows theme has been deactivated; it was similarly located in G: drive.

Can someone tell me what my options are at this point? I had 310gb worth of data on the hard drive and I really don't want to send it out for a new one :(

I just bought this Seagate HDD 3-4 months ago (in May) and I can't believe it has broken so quickly. My old IBM Deskstar is still up and running 5 years after I purchased it.

edit: My computer is acting rather sluggish right now even though it's not outright pausing. Also, when I restarted a 2nd time, it paused at the Windows loading screen multiple times.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  2. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Same shit happened to a Seagate that I got, thus I always stick with WD now.

Have a google on putting your HDD in the freezer for a few mins, it can actually work for a little while.

If you can try it in another PC it would rule out a couple of things, so try that first.

edit: However I have a feeling you'll be out of luck no matter what you do :(

3. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Damn, that sucks. Can I still send it in for a new drive?

4. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

i would get an external drive and xcopy with the /C option all your shit to it then chkdsk it w/ the surface scan on (chkdsk /f /r /x) you may need to do it at reboot, or do it through windows ubcd or something

then replace the drive and restore documents

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I had a similar problem like this on one of our small servers at work the other week. Our users drive was showing in My Computer, but I got an error trying to access it.

I got a copy of GetDataBack and got about 95% of the files back.