GUN My future AR, let me show you it!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZCP M3, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I've been researching AR-15's for some time now and I think I've got my future build all planned out. The goal was to keep the build under $1200 and build something nicer than what I could buy off the shelf. I wanted a flat-top with removable carry handle and a gas block with removable front sight. I may end up changing that and getting a rear iron sight with forward rail so i can use the irons and a future Eotech together.

Attached are pictures of my excel layout. If you have any suggestions or comments please share them with me!

List of parts: img139.imageshack.us/img139/1811/picture2vl2.png

Sorted by retailer: img240.imageshack.us/img240/8607/picture3kh6.png

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If you're open to constructive criticism:

A billet upper like the MUR is a waste of money on that kind of rifle, put the extra $118 toward your eotech fund or toward a bolt carrier group thats properly staked and mp tested (I think rra's is lacking at least 1 of those).

Also if you think an eotech is in your future, get the standard FSB. Most people don't notice it through the eotech. Instead ditch the carry handle for a folding rear buis. The rear sight is what people find gets in the way when using the eotech. Future proof the rifle now :big grin:

I'd also consider just going with a light weight or medium profile barrel and not the m4. The extra weight of it seems to be in a useless location so either ditch it or make the gun balance better with a different profile. A midlength gas system would be a good choice too.

3. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

I cant read the list, I can see it but its to small to read

4. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Do barrels normally come with gas blocks and gas tubes?

5. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Try clicking on the picture, it should resize.

6. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Not normally.

7. Hooch

Hooch New Member

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

9. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Thanks for the comments!

I know the MUR is overkill, its just so damn pretty! :drool: It may come off the list later.

Didn't know the RRA wasn't MP tested. Do you have a brand in mind that is properly staked and MP tested?

I'll look into replacing the carry handle with a flip-up rear BUIS.

The Barrel is a lightweight gov't profile, just has the M4 ramp extensions. Also went for a midlength gas system already. :cool: Here is the full description: CMMG 16" M4 Barrel (Delta Ring, Sling Loop and Rivet, Gas Tube and Roll Pin, A2 Flash Hider w/Washer, No Dura Coat, YHM Gas Block w/Picatinny Rail, M4 notched Round Handguard Cap, M4 Handguard-Double Heat Shield)

Keep the comments comin!

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm with you there, its just too much extra cash I could put into a light, rails, or optics though to sell me.

It may be, its been a while since I've looked, but I'd double check and especially check for proper staking of the gas key. I think there was something off about it though. I'd probably get the LMT bcg or bravo company's if its back in stock when you decide to order. I hear some people are selling one made by FN thats setup well too.

government profile is not lightweight, its heavier to accomidate the grenade launcher. Government does not indicate barrel extensions or not. Their lightweight barrel is listed as "CMMG 16 Lightweight Mid-Length Barrel" and has m4 extensions. The one you have listed would be a carbine gas system too. The m4 profile with a midlength gas system is listed as "CMMG 16" Mid-Length Gov't Profile Barrel"

The phantom flash hider costs a bit more but is much more effective at hiding flashes.

edit:ahh there's an rra stake job http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/AR-carrier-key-staking-pics-t19144.html

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  11. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

You are within 40 dollars of a factory Colt M4 which is completely milspec except for the trigger pins.

When I look at your list I see:

A decent lower receiver
    An LPK that has many documented failures when run hard in classes (assuming the 2-stage)
    A stock that doesn't lock up tight
    A high dollar upper that looks nice but not much more than that
    A non milspec bcg that has questionable nde and poor staking
    A barrel from a manufacturer who has had documented quality control issues in the past (but will most likely be okay)

I'm not trying to just totally shit all over your build but you can definitely do better with this kinda money.

12. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Get a stock RRA, Bushmaster, SLR15, Cav Arms or Colt and spend anything you have left over on a class to learn to use it.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What parts are prone to failure from it? I thought RRA's had a pretty good reputation.

14. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

I went back and added the note that it's the 2-stage that quit. Very few of those make it through a 2-day course from what I've read. I have read about cases where they go cyclic, quit altogether, or become single-stage after a small pin walks out. A search on gotx or lightfighter will help so you can read for yourself.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Oh yeah I think thats pretty well known, for the price he put though he's getting the plain jane.

16. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Zapgrab > you

17. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

No, im glad you shit all over it. I haven't spent a dime yet, I'd much rather find this stuff out now! Back to the drawing board. :hsd:

EDIT: While I am grateful for the criticism, it would help me twice as much if everyone posted alternative parts to the ones I have listed.

I've replaced the BCG with a standard LMT. Need suggestions for a new LPK/trigger. I'm keeping with a single stage for now. Also, is there a better barrel brand for the money than CMMG?