My Front Row was all fucked up v. Perian fixed it

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

My Front Row had been running really slow for quite some time now, and since the most recent QuickTime update it had become completely unusable. Browsing the Movies section in particular was super-slow and would hang for 30 seconds to several minutes.

I ended up removing a bunch of QuickTime components (like DivX and others) and installed Perian in their place. It was really easy and comes with almost any codec you could want. Now Front Row is running very nicely, and even the DVD playback has improved. :bowdown:

2. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

More info on this? I refuse to use front row because browsing takes ages.

3. Euclid

Euclid New Member

What more info do you need?

Check out /Library/Quicktime (the global QT folder) and ~/Library/Quicktime (the QT folder that is under your home directory) and see what you have in there. Those .component files are codecs that Quicktime uses for video and audio playback, and they are causing problems for Front Row.

You can delete many of them and then install Perian. It comes with a bunch of codecs built-in to one .component so several of them are obsolete. I found that they actually cause conflicts that crash Quicktime if you try to play media with both Perian and the obsolete codecs installed, so it's best to delete them. If you want, list the ones you have on here and I'll try to help figure out which ones can be safely deleted and replaced with Perian.

http://perian.org

4. Corporate Whore

Corporate Whore New Member

i downloaded this and deleated conflicting codecs, front row is still slow as shit, like 5 minutes to go from menu through menu

5. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

OK... so what extras do I have in here that I can delete?

[​IMG]

6. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I know you can ditch Xvid and DivX for playback, although I'm not so sure about the DivX encoder. Also I believe the A52 codec is obsolete with Perian 1.0.

You definitely need to keep Flip4Mac because Perian doesn't do WMV.

I would recommend moving everything except for Perian and Flip4Mac out of the Quicktime folder and into a temporary folder somewhere else. Then, if you encounter a media file which will not play in quicktime, figure out what the encoding is and add that codec back in later. VLC is good for opening a file and checking the properties to determine what encoding is used for the audio / video parts.

Corporate Whore: I found that I had to reboot after making changes to my /Library/Quicktime folder in order to see the results.