SRS my friends dad is a coke head, my friend doesnt know...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by urbanjanitor101, Aug 8, 2005.

1. urbanjanitor101

urbanjanitor101 OT Supporter

i found out the other day that one of my very close friends father is a coke addict. some history here...my friends father always hated me, he thought i was an obnoxious piece of shit with no respect for anything (probably a little true, but that has nothign to do with the thread).

my friends dad had a business that had been doing worse and worse over the 90's, and the acustomed lifestyle of their wealthy family did nothing to preserve the life of their company. some time last summer, my friends dad had a heartattack. unknown to me or my friend at the time, it was due to a cocaine overdose. his business eventually failed, and they had to downgrade their lifestyle (smaller house, but still nice by most standards, etc...).

now, i think this guys dad is a complete asshole and he'd be better off to his family dead, but the fact of the matter is that hes still someones father. so im considering if i should tell my friend and have his father get help, or if i should just let them be...?

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

How old are you, your friend and the father? Also, how close is this friend of yours?​

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  3. urbanjanitor101

we are both 17, and the father is in his eary 50's.

hes a pretty good friend of mine.

4. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

man that guy is still doing coke at 50? I wonder if this is like a steady thing since the 70's.

5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

If it were me, I probably wouldn't tell my friend his dad was a cokehead until he moved out. Also, it's not like he's going to be able to force his dad into recovery, most likely his dad would be unwilling to get help at this point. However, sometimes interventions do work, but it may cause more harm than good if your friend still lives there.

6. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

how is it that you know his dad does cocaine and his own son doesn't?

7. urbanjanitor101

i know this because his father is business partners with a good family friend, they told us this. it isn't private information, but it has been kept from at least his sons, i dont know if his wife even knows.

the guy had a heart attack 2 summers ago at 10:30 in the morning because he o/ded on coke. its really sad.

*update*

this kid just did his first line of coke during his lunch break. i considered telling him not to snort any more because of the way his father is. this whole situation is fucked up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
  8. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

1. now that the kid has started too... i would tell him. maybe he'll be able to avoid destroying his life like his father did.
    2. if the guy tells everyone BUT his family, and everyone else but his family knows, seems like a no brainer that the family should find out as soon as possible so they can do what needs to be done.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
  9. burrita

burrita New Member

Maybe the family knows including the sons but don't want to make it public although it already is.

10. uptown josh

uptown josh Active Member

cocaine is bad news. My cousin is addicted to that shit. I say tell your buddy.

11. jixxxer1000

jixxxer1000 New Member

I would say to tell him soon...dont tell him while hes on it though (obviosly)

12. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

i was in a similar situation...but i was in 5th grade and my friends dad was doing heroin. He somehow managed to keep it from him, but my mom sat me down one day and showed me the news article that showed he had been arrested for possession one day. after that it all made sense... he always seemed drunk, never left the couch, always passed out. He had some fingers removed too because they were infected or something...and when he had to spend a night in jail he just told my friend that he was going on a "business trip." I never told my friend that i knew, but i think he may have figured it out on his own eventually. He moved away a few years later.

13. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Tell your friend, especially if he's starting it STAT. I wouldn't consider myself an addict, but I did do a lot of it in college, and can say without a doubt it's fun stuff, but if I could do it all over I'd have never touched the stuff, it's a complete dead end. Going on several years without touching it or any other drug, much better life now :)

14. V!

V! New Member

I'll never understand why people feel the need not to tell their friends that their dad's health is in danger because of a coke addiction

15. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

Tell him. My father is a cocaine addict and I hate the fact that I had to find out for myself.

16. Saturn Sun

Saturn Sun New Member

:werd: if you are there for him it might make it easier for him to take.

17. Mr. Master

Mr. Master New Member

tell him. he will be mad for keeping a secret like that from him. the sooner you tell him the sooner his dad can start getting help.

18. toph

toph New Member

yeah, you can even perhaps atleast save your friend of a similar fate. like, if you tell him, but he doesn't confront his father because he's uncomfortalbe about it, maybe he'll atleast get the message. There is the possibilty, a slim one with his father, to save 2 people here. addiction runs in the family.

19. BimmerPower

BimmerPower New Member

i've been having a problem with coke as well lately. I want to stop but it's been tough. I'm really going to try to stop the habbit.. I hope I can :(

20. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

My dad was a big coke head for a while, he ended up living with his parents when he was 52. You should tell your friend, or at least give him a bit of a hint.