SRS My friends are my family. Anyone have this mindset?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Swak, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

Maybe its the way I grew up, but I have never had a close relationship with anyone with my family, except my sister. But she is in rehab right now. I realized that I never talk on a personal level with any family member. My friends are really I have to talk to. And I thought blood was thicker than water.

2. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

if i had to guess, you're probably in the majority

3. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Yeah I view my three closest friends as my "brothers", we've been friends for 10 plus years and experienced a lot together. I'm closer with them than any other person in my family.

4. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

It's the same way with me.

I can't talk about personal things with my family and if I need personal advice, I go to my friends

5. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I would be the same. I don't trust my family with anything deeply personal. They seem to always make it about them or worse tell all their friends.

Just not worth it

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Think I'm kinda screwed. In this sense, I don't feel my friends are family, nor do I feel my family is familiy. :sad2:

7. deviant

i just bottle everything up and hope i don't end up in a belltower someday :dunno:

8. Swak

Be careful with that. I have done that for the past 23 years of my life. Now its ripping through me in different ways. Now I am scavenging for people to listen to me. I just wish I had family to talk to about these things but I don't, never did.

9. deviant

nah, i wasn't serious about the belltower thing.:) i just don't really talk about myself or my problems with people, but i never really feel the need to (i'm a pothead so i usually forget about them anyway :o) . i've always been very introverted in that respect, but i have people there for me if i need them (both friends and family). i don't harbor a lot of anger or anything, and i don't own a gun, so i think you guys are safe :bigthumb:

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Im like that. I dont really talk to my parents at all except to say 'yes, hello, Im still alive, still broke, college is fun, I'm doing good in classes, goodbye' whereas my friends are alot closer to me

11. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I goto my friends as well for advice or just to vent. It's a lot easier to talk to them about things then it is a family member.

12. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I goto my friends as well for advice or just to vent. It's a lot easier to talk to them about things then it is a family member.

I agree with this. But I still tell my parents a lot about what happens in my life and they know it and respect whatever decision I make. Either way I'd take a bullet for any of them some friends and my family because I'd know they'd do the same.

13. Swak

I am working on trying to be more open with friends recently. It seems that it may help with my personal issues that I have going on. Especially since a lot of its relative to my family.

14. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

same here and it's not always a good thing

15. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Used to be that way, then I realized that people go their own ways and friends dirft into nothing. I don't talk to my family, and I don't really like any of the friends I have now.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I did. Until I had enough betrayals or 'growing aparts' that I don't so much anymore. When I was younger it was easy to say that about all my close friends, because I didn't have enough experience to tell the difference between family and friends. There are 2-3 friends I consider family. Two of them I don't even talk to anymore. But the bond is still there.

17. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

I consider them family too. 3 of them anyways. Family is not who ur related too. But who u hang out with, who wil bail you out of jail, help you move and laugh or cry depending onthe situation. Thats family.

Altough I wouldnt say they are closer to me than my family since im very close to them. But I would say they are just as close to me as my actual family.

18. OhFourTwoThree

OhFourTwoThree New Member

Family is forever and most friends aren't forever. No matter how close you are to your friends right now, you won't keep in touch with most of them 3-4 years from now especially once you marry, have children, and start your own life. No matter how little you have in common with your family, when you are at your worst, they will be there. No one would wipe your azz except for your family.

19. whatever

whatever OT Supporter

Im sorta the same way. my famiry i dont confide in. I consider my 2 closest long time friends family. one of their parents are more so parents to me. I find it easyier to ask his ma for advice on stuff then my own. :hs:
    I also consider the fire dept my family...