My friend sent me this today. His idea of an Mac user...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The1Ash10, Mar 21, 2009.

1. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

[​IMG]

Thoughts? :hsugh:

2. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Only squids screw up their PCs...amirite?

I suppose saying Macs never crash is a compliment.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

you can build a much faster mac than you can a pc

4. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

....for some tasks.

I hate to admit it, but the latest Mac Pro's haven't been doing well in real world testing. They obviously do very well at media and workstation functions, but for general use they are pretty mehtacular.

Every review I've read so far is saying that they aren't worth the money unless you spend 90% of your day in Lightroom or Final Cut. Without any way to make iMacs perform well on games, I think Apple is really starting to miss an important segment of home users. I don't play PC games and I don't care about them, but a lot of people do. Either a cheaper game oriented Mac Pro or an iMac with a user replaceable GPU would be pretty sweet.

Just a pair of pennies from me.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

why would you spend a minimum of $2500 on a mac pro if you going to do anything but high end work? i mean at work we all use mac pros or old g5 towers, but it's all high end 3D, tons of photo and graphics work, or HD video editing... i wouldn't need that much power at home by a long shot...

that said, i see no reason to have to over clock or tweek the mac pros... they're fast enough already...

6. assclown

assclown Active Member

:rofl: so true for the most part IMO.

7. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Excellent job misinterpreting my post. You rock. :ugh2:

8. ady

ady New Member

No you can't. That doesn't even make sense as they use the same hardware. Unless you mean because dual Nehalem systems aren't out yet, but they all ship in a week and you can buy parts now.

9. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

that is a good analogy for a group of mac users. I hear there are people that use macs for graphics and editing, but i run across and see first hand people that buy macs for "the look" or "no viruses". these people generally only do simple tasks that older computers could handle. Things like using the little calendar or a simple email client, or at most maybe safari.

for the other people that I have only heard of I don't know if the picture holds true.

I have seen a pretty beefy mac before, that rang in at 17k dollars, but maybe the high price made it seem blazing fast out of this world :eek3:

good analogy at any rate

10. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

guess i don't know what you were trying to say... :dunno:

11. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

so what do people with pcs do?

i remember when i was on pc(a month ago) i did the same shit i do on my mac, actually i do more on my mac :dunno:

granted, i got ms office cause iwork sucks balls

12. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

:rofl::rofl:

everyone at work has MS office too. what is the point of having a mac if it has the competition on it? :rofl:

13. mojito

mojito New Member

find me a readily available pc that matches a maxed out mac pro

14. mojito

mojito New Member

:hsugh:

15. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

My Mac Pros > Your crotchrocket ricerbox

16. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

You could easily switch it around.

PC/tricycle:
    - Can be bought for cheap
    - Build quality varies
    - Hard to control
    - Does the job
    - Make it faster by throwing more money at it
    - Bland

Mac/Ninja
    - More expensive
    - Solid build quality/materials
    - Better engineering handles the power w/minimal user input
    - Does the job
    - Paid more up front for a better package. Less tinkering to keep from being obsolete
    - Looks good just sitting there.

17. ady

ady New Member

I already admited nothing will be released until this comming week but I can buy parts to out perform a Mac Pro and have them arrive earlier than a Mac Pro with some of the config options would. You act as if it somehow makes the Mac Pro great because it's on top for another week.

Apple has never had the most powerful hardware since moving to Intel and releasing a crippled and limited version of a new platform a few weeks early doesn't really change that for me. But yes technically Apple currently have the fastest retail system you can order.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  18. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

I was thinking the same

19. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I never really cared for apple desktops, only the laptops

well the mac mini is ok I suppose, I'd like to get one for a file server :o

20. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

I'm the same. My desktop will always be a PC, and laptop will always be a Mac.

21. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

cliffs on how it is crippled?

22. ady

ady New Member

8 memory slots would be the big one for me as using 6 provides you full tri-channel bandwidth, but using 8 brings that down. Other DP boards have 12 or 18 memory slots. They top out at 2.93GHz rather than 3.2Ghz, but that may be rectified when Intel can supply enough parts. 1333MHz memory doesn't appear to be supported even though the 2.66GHz and 2.93GHz dual Xeons have 1333MHz memory controllers.

They only have 4 internal drive bays when other E-ATX cases have many more. No eSata, no Firewire 400 ports (800 to 400 adapters are causing issues for people). Only PCI-E expansion slots. Expensive RAID card needed for SAS drives.

Graphics card limitations and cards that aren't the best in their class and:
    Want two DVI displays: need $30 adapter.
    Want two Mini DisplayPort displays: need two graphics cards.
    Want two 30" displays: need $100 adapter (that has some serious issues) or another graphics card.
    Can't have two 4870s without an external powersupply, despite having a 1KW PSU in the system.

Obviously many things aren't going to matter to a lot of buyers, but when compared to similar systems that will be available in the same class the Mac Pro doesn't fair to well. The issues present on the previous Mac Pros didn't matter much to me (I own three), but the graphics card things are annoying as I run multiple displays as is the 8 memory slots nonsense.

23. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Granted I'd have liked to see 12 DIMMS, and yes, the mini display port is a bit :ugh:, consider what's being compared. I've built a bunch of rigs with big-dick SuperMicro, Tyan, etc. boards and they were nice. And they cost a fortune. My last SuperO flagship board cost me over a grand on its own, plus the megabuck Xeons and what not. If the past 2 generations of the Mac Pro are any indication, you won't match the horsepower in a homebrew at any point in its lifecycle.

That leaves you with a turnkey from Dell, HP...maybe a specialty rig like a Boxx. All fine options, minus the dual OS capacity, but they've generally been pricier still than the Mac Pro.

As far as the dual 4870s, the power is there, supposedly you can rig it up from a molex :dunno:

In any case, my existing MPs are the best rigs I've ever owned, and I'm passing this round. Current boxes are fast enough.

24. ady

ady New Member

The Mac Pros were great for processor intensive work, especially as Dell and HP and the like had large premiums over them, well over $1,000 on systems similar to the 8 core 2.8GHz Pros. But Apple have changed pricing meaning building your own is far cheaper and so may be options from other vendors. Building your own last time also became cheaper when Skulltrail and ASUS's overclockable boards came out as you could get the cheap Xeons to perform very well or the higher end to go past anything available at stock speeds. Obviously not options for most businesses or even many enthusiasts, but still an option for some people.

I'm certainly not going to stop reccomending Mac Pros and they are still a great tool for the job, but this update has left a foul taste in my mouth.