SRS My friend just tryed to kill himself

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Saturn Sun, May 17, 2007.

1. Saturn Sun

Saturn Sun New Member

My friend is an acholic, is on probation and violated his probation. so he has a warrent. he was going to turn himself in today but last night he got drunk and I couldent be around him. it makes me sad/angry.

so he left my house and today I went to his apartment and saw blood and glass on the floor, I freaked and called the hospital but they wouldent tell me anything :mad: so I called his mom and she went to the hospital and she called me and told me that he cut himself all up and had x-rays for something.
    I want to be there for him to help him with his problems but my friend who is in A.A says that Im enableing his behavior by being there when he's drinking. should I just cut ties with him untill he gets some sober days in? :wtc:

2. Hypno toad

Hypno toad Guest

no. by there for him. help him.don't cut ties with him because now is the time he needs you more than ever to help and support him. i know from experience. helping him is a good test of friendship towards him and show you will help him no matter what.

read this.
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3207534

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

In times of trouble, a real friend steps into your life, while a fake friend steps out of your life.

Don't be a fake friend, be there for him, as other poster said this is the time your friend ABSOLUTELY needs you.

4. newyorklady

newyorklady New Member

I had a friend who did kill himself and I wasn't with him in his last days because I thought he didn't want me to be. It's something that I have always regretted. Please don't make the same mistake. Please listen to the above two posts and be there for your friend any way you can!

5. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

I was in a similar situation. My best friend was really close in committing suicide, and I thought about pulling away but I felt too guilty.
    I'm so glad I didn't just leave her, because just like a few people in this forum topic said, this is the time your friend needs you the most.
    Friendships were never meant to be easy fun and happy going all the time. Its almost like marriage, its a committment and a promise to be there through rough and good times. Which is why its rare to find a true friend, because people are selfish and can't live up to that committment.

So do a good deed, be a true friend, stick in there and help him out as much as you can (don't forget yourself through the process). If it's unbearable for you in which your getting depressed to the point of suicide or what not, direct him to help.
    It was almost unbearable for me to go through this with my friend, and I was starting to get depressed at some points, but trust me in the end when he comes through (I hope your friend does), its really rewarding. For the both of you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:hug:
    This is really a too bad...I'm sorry your friend is hurting.

Should you cut ties?? Hard to say. Afterall your relationship is likely complicated and you have history with this guy. It's impossible for any of us to say whether or not you are close enough to him to be willing to hang in there. Only you know whether or not you have the capacity for that. If he's a good friend and you want to work on your relationship then yes hang in there. If he's more of an acquaintance then perhaps it's time to just move on.

If you want to hang in there the I would suggest you attend Alanon meetings. These are there to help loved ones of alcoholics deal with all the issues surrounding an Alcoholic in their lives. Many times there are spouses there and therefore some people think it doesn't apply. In actuality it's for anyone that has someone in their lives that's an alcoholic.

As an alcoholic myself, I can assure you that there are many issues and the disease of alcoholism effects many people. Alanon can help deal with all the confusing, frustrating and down right crazy situations surrounding an alcoholic.

Anyways, good luck and God Bless.

7. The Saggin' Nutz

The Saggin' Nutz New Member

8. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Like everyone has said in the posts before, you have to be there for your friend. Don't be the one that walks out be the one to stay and help your friend through this hard situation.

9. Liquid_Vitamins

Liquid_Vitamins New Member

There's a difference between being there for him and enabling his drinking. Being there and supporting him is the kind of friend he needs, if he's tried to kill himself then the last thing he needs is to lose some of his support system.

10. blink me

blink me New Member

Be a friend and stick with him, he'll need support.

11. lycorisdew

lycorisdew New Member

friendship can't be learned from books or policies. maybe he needs you, maybe not. there are too many variables in this for any of us to say accurately (though yes, in most cases i would say be by his side). you are his friend. you have your experiences with him. if he needs you, you should know what to do more than a psych theory.

12. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Regardless of how this situation turns out keep in mind that YOU are not responsible for decisions your friend makes.

13. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Just kinda wondering how this went? Any updates by chance?

14. Saturn Sun

Saturn Sun New Member

he now has 2 weeks sober and im very proud of him:)