My friend has 1 leg.... lower body workout suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Contemptor, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

He hasn't really worked out much before but he came with me to the gym some during the school year and he got a membership now and is working out over the summer. He does only upper body though really. I was going with him occasionally but when I was doing a lower body day he never really knew what to do :o.

He has a knee and a little after that followed by a plastic prosthetic. He tried doing squats on the smith but it was still a little difficult, but then again he's never really worked lower body. I don't know much he could do without just getting one leg a lot bigger than the other...

2. Ep

Ep Guest

Maybe low reps for more strength if he doesn't want to get the right leg 10 times bigger. He can do 1 legged extensions, maybe walking lunges, body weight squats, wall sits

3. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

That's what I was thinking. I still wasn't sure even if it got a good bit stronger that it might feel weird walking with legs of different strengths. But then again, he has half a fake leg, I'm sure it feels weird anyway :o

4. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

He doesn't need to do legs. People will feel like assholes if they give him shit for having chicken legs. :mamoru:

5. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

almost all upper body exercises shouldn't be an issue. for his amputated leg, an adjustable pulley setup can be used. buy several sets of ankle straps/cuffs. use the versatility of the pulley setup and the cuffs/straps to adapt most exercises for his bum leg. the use of a bench can be used to better isolate the muscles left over in his leg, provide stability during the movement, and to apply more stress to/on the muscle. also when using the straps/cuffs, tell him to watch out for sores caused by excessive friction and pressure. maybe use a neoprene cap on the nub part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.