GUN My FRB, as seen on ARFCOM and LF.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by footratfunkface, Oct 29, 2004.

1. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

okay, i've fixed a few things, expanded the capacity, and completed what i'm going to for this week. i still have more to add. here are some pictures and descriptions of what i have in here. they're crappy pictures, because i have only a webcam, hopefully not so crappy descriptions. this is my truck/ruck medical kit. it's not an extended medical kit, so it doesn't have your standard OTC drugs in it. i'll put one of those together to go IN my ruck, rather than ON it, like this one does.

this first picture is of the front exterior of the bag. it's a Tactical Tailor First Responder Bag, one of two i own. the other is my butt-pack on my 2nd line gear. you can see the shears in their little spot on the front of the bag, and you can see my exterior add-on poking over the back of the bag. the straps don't stay put, and there's a lack of a top carry handle on this bag, so i fixed both problems at once by rigging the straps in an immobile position on top of the bag, so i can grab it like a carry handle.

[​IMG]

side view. you can see that the exterior pouch is MALICE clipped on the PALS webbing on the back of the bag. the pouch is an Essential Tactical canteen pouch.

[​IMG]

inside the EssTac pouch. i'll tell you later in this post what all is crammed in there, and why it's there, instead of in the main bag.

[​IMG]

the top of the FRB. there's a little zippered pouch on top that i use to hold 4 pair of 15 mil nitrile gloves. i hate the zipper on this pocket, because it's begging to put a hole in a glove if you catch it wrong.

[​IMG]

a hemcon bandage, for those who've never seen a picture of the wrapper. sorry, not opening it up, costs too much, and takes too long to get any more. HemCon has pictures of it in use, buried on their site somewhere.

[​IMG]

this is the contents of the main bag, all out on the floor. i'll tell you what's in there later in the post.

[​IMG]

if all else fails, i carry an Austrian high-speed hot lead injector, for pain neutralization. if someone is being a pain, he gets neutralized. and everyone knows, the best medicine is superior firepower.

[​IMG]

Okay, time for inventory:

in the EssTac pouch, i keep the following:

(6) 4x4" gauze pads
    (1) Israeli bandage
    (5) Hemcon bandages
    (3) Asherman chest seals

the purpose of this pouch is to carry my ACS's without bending, rolling, or folding them. the FRB is too short to do so. i use it to carry more of my extreme trauma/bleeding stuff, too, so it's all in one spot when i need it.

in the FRB, i keep this stuff:

(20) 4x4" gauze pads
    (2) Israeli bandages
    (2) triangle bandages
    (6) 4" sterile stretch gauze rolls
    (6) 2" sterile stretch gauze rolls
    (10) P.A.W.S. antimicrobial wipes
    (1) 3.5 Oz. package of QuikClot
    (1) pair of 7 1/2" shears
    (1) MDF cardiology stethascope
    (1) USGI one-handed tourniquet
    (1) WaterJel 4x16" burn dressing

things i need to add:

(1) penlight
    (2) 1.75 Oz. QuikClot packages, to replace the one 3.5 Oz.
    (1) abdominal pad, and remove about half of the 4x4" pads
    (1) roll of 2" nylon tape
    (1) roll of 4" nylon tape
    (1) small squirt bottle of saline solution

okay, now the numbers of some items may be high. that's just because i'm still lacking some things, and i had extra space, so i filled it with more things. once i learn airway, i'll add oropharyngial and nasopharyngial airways to my bag, but probably not a whole kit of both, because all sizes of both takes up a lot of space.

another thing i'm adding is a new bag. this thing is too small, and too short. i'm having stuart at Essential Tactical build something i designed, which is similar to a combination of the FRB and a jump bag that an EMT or paramedic would carry. it has a lot of features that the FRB doesn't have, and a few that it does. anyways, if you would like to know why i do something some way, just ask, i'll try to explain it. or, if i can't explain it, i'll call you names. how's that sound?

oh, something i'm going to add to my truck, but not to the bag itself is an adjustable C-Collar. if i'm first on an accident scene, and i have to triage and can't maintain c-spine, i'd rather put on a c-collar than just leave one patient for another. if i had the room, i'd carry two, because in most car wrecks, you have two people involved. but, i can collar one, and manually maintain c-spine, or have someone else help me out by doing it. if one passenger has neck pain, but another is bleeding to death, i'm collaring, and attending to bleeding. i'd rather have one POSSIBLY paralyzed and one alive patient than one living, and one CERTAINLY dead patient.

also, i need to find out about SAM splints and their effectiveness, because i'll add one to my kit if they are. they're supposed to be really versatile, because you can cut them to size and bend them into a splint for just about any long bone, from fingers on up, and you can even use one as a makeshift c-collar if you don't have a collar handy. i'll also add an ace bandage if i do that, to aid in splinting. i'd rather use the ace than the israelis if there's no bleeding.

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

that quikclot stuff is awesome, I read about it in Field & Stream :coold:

3. footratfunkface

I. B is for pussies, and P takes too long. and when i get on with a fire service, i don't want to be stuck in the box the whole time because i'm a P'medic, and they're hard to come by these days.

4. footratfunkface

okay, i just bought a full set of SAM splints, two adjustible C-collars, a shock-resistant sphygmomanometer, a 30x12" trauma pad, a box of 4" ACE bandages, and a roll of 3M Durapore 4" tape. the only thing i need now is a bag and irrigation. i'm going to check walmart for a good irrigation bottle.

5. footratfunkface

shut up. it doesn't go anywhere else on OT, so it goes here, where SOME people can appreciate it.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Pretty well thought out. :cool: As i'm sure you've found, SAMs are great.

How do you like the TT bag? i've been thinking about one.

7. footratfunkface

i wish it were bigger, for my purposes. i have two, so i do like them enough. one is my butt pack. things i'd improve upon for it to be an effective first responder bag, and things that i'm having incorporated into the bag EssTac builds me:

-a carry handle.
    -a velcro pouch for gloves instead of zippered. think of the damage a zipper on your pants can do to your business. now imagine a glove caught in there. doesn't help your body substance isolation to have holes in gloves
    -taller, wider, deeper.
    -external pockets
    -PALS webbing on the front, instead of gay-ass, half-assed ALICE webbing. you can't secure anything securely to it.
    -double thickness of cordura, to make it stiffer, instead of single thicknesses.
    -slide buckles to retain the waist belt's excess straps and make the waist belt more secure. as of now, if you pull on the straps, they'll slip right through, and allow the belt to loosen. the fastex buckles don't come off, but you can pull the straps tight and loose way too easily.

things i really like about it:

-it's a good idea, and fills a need.
    -the orange bottom panel, for signalling
    -the divider with elastic all over it.
    -the CONCEPT of the waist belt, along with the PALS webbing. the fastex buckles are good for using with SOE or TT vests, but overall are useless.

yes, from what everyone has told me, SAMs are great. that's why i ordered all three sizes. i'll fold/roll them to fit in my bag, or a future bag. it's nice that they can be cut down to splint fingers, or be used (in the case of the 36" one) to splint a leg.

8. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

I ALREADY TOLD YOU IT NEEDS MORE COWBELL!!!!!11one

9. footratfunkface

i'm getting one to put in there. like this?

10. kimitt

kimitt Sick of throwin' pixie dust...

A few suggestions on your selections.

You may want to consider adding:
    2 Kelly Clamps (pack them right with your trauma shears)
    1 250cc bag of NS (packs easier than a bottle)
    1 macrodrip set for IV bag. (for irrigation purposes)
    1 really decent light, don't skimp on the light source, and you want it accessible
    4 more cravats (highly underrated and exceptionally versatile)
    1 Laerdal pop-up face mask for CPR
    5 Bandaids
    2 Ice packs (the chemical kind...)
    2 puke bags (veeerrrrrry handy for those ETOH drivers of sqwooshed autos. (or for noobs to EMS on scene):barf:
    2 Pens
    1 notepad
    1" tape
    tegaderms (make friends with the medics early)

Move the quikclot to the trauma pouch, with the ACS and the Hemcon. And ditch 2 of your 3 seals. If you ever get to use one, PLEASE POST PICS. (grab some tegaderms instead, I used one a few months ago on a pnuemo 2nd to stabbing and it worked fine.) If you really want to save space, lose 2 of the Hemcons as well. Be careful with the quikclot, there is some real debate over the use of it and the contraindications, ie heat generated by the chemical process as well as it's danger in/around H20 and open injuries. Also, unless you plan to use it on yourself, it's not permitted in most EMS systems, even for volunteers. Neither are the Hemcons.

Things to lighten the load:

maybe lose like half of the 2" gauze
    only pack one Ace bandage. (I have never in my years seen one used in the field or ambulance)
    Lose the two other Israeli bandages and the tourniquet. Direct pressure is a much better option.

Things also to think about:
    Do you carry an O2 bag? There's really no need to add the NPAs or OPAs unless you do, they just take up good space and need to be sized and can really be more trouble than they are worth. I suppose you could use them with the mask I mentioned but otherwise they seem like overkill. If you go with them anyway, make sure you have one of every size, because you really need go the distance with it. Nothing sucks more than not having what you need because you didn't think you would need it. A pedi code needs a size 0 and nothing else will do. Nasals: don't forget the Lube!

Are you planning to build another bag for your C-collars and such? I don't know how all out you want to go, but I could tell you what my bag has...

How far are you in your Intermediate?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  11. footratfunkface

i'm actually just over a month into the whole program.

i'm well aware of legal constraints on the use of hemcons and quikclot, but since i'm not an EMT, the scope of practice for EMS personnel doesn't apply to me. even then, i'll relegate them to my ruck kit, to take hiking/camping/etc, where wilderness medicine is a possibility, in addition to prehospital care. as for contraindications, i've heavily researched the product, and it is safe, so long as it's used as directed. imagine that. the problems that certain military personnel had with QC were because they specifically disregarded the huge dummy-proof instructions on the package that say not to get water on the QC, and if you do, flush the whole area with enough water to remove all QC from the area, and start over. however, the army has a special breed of dummies on which these directions are not effective. the navy seemed to figure it out, and had no problems with it during their recent evaluations of the product.

hemcons will be my choice in the crazy offhand chance that direct pressure, elevation, and pressure points don't work, but they're limited in size, so i may still have a use for QC in an area where a 4x4 is hard to apply, or the wound is larger than a 4x4 will cover.

i just added a short SAM splint, and a long one to my bag. i also added a 4" ACE bandage. the ACE is, like a few other things, more for my ruck kit than the truck kit. i also added a 4 oz. saline bottle for irrigation. you can see a little bit how crowded my bag is when those pictures were taken. adding two SAM's, an ACE, and a saline bottle makes this thing look like it's going to explode. i will be getting a jump bag soon for all this shit, and i'll probably get a BVM when i do. i don't plan on carrying O2, because that's overkill, and heavy, and more dangerous than not carrying it. i haven't even been formally taught airway yet, even though i do know how and most of the "when" to use an OPA. NPA's, i know a little "when", but not how. i still have a full set of both coming, and some lubricant for the NPA's. i'm sure dry ones are even more uncomfortable on a conscious patient than lubed ones. my two c-collars are also in my truck now, but they're just tucked behind the seats.

i'm not ditching the seals, because i may have multiple patients, and i can toss one to another responder, or if i have an entrance and exit wound and can position the patient in the lateral recumbant position to attend to both.

as for light, my "penlight" is a surefire E2e. it makes pupilary responses really easy to discern. i don't have any kelly forceps, or any other little tools yet. i will soon. i have a FUCKTON of supplies on the way, so we'll see what all i get put together here in the near future. i have a fully stocked M5 pack coming, and it's got stuff i'll never use, like surgical equipment, but it's got a lot of bandages and ALS stuff that i can use. there's also a lot of little things, like bandaids, different sizes of tape, etc. that i'll add to a larger kit, but this one is full. completely. i have 2" durapore tape coming, but i have no place to put it yet. you're not the first to tell me to add more cravats, and i think i can squeeze another two in there because of their size and squishiness.

thanks.

12. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

fuck all that pussy shit, a real man uses duck tape

:o

13. kimitt

kimitt Sick of throwin' pixie dust...

Its great to see someone who puts some thought into what they are doing, nevermind actual research. I can't wait to see your bag all finished. I just came back from the ITEMS conference, and saw all kinds of new and exciting products I wish I had some use for. Hey, do you like the self-adhering IB's or the non? I have been asking around and it seems to be a split decision...I have one of each right now.

Love ur surefire. You can see the one I use on a park bench pic in another thread, it's the little one.

Let me know if you want a little package with extras for your bag, I have a bunch of Kelly clamps around the house as well as some ALS stuff you might be able to use out in the wilderness... ;)

14. footratfunkface

by IB's, i'm guessing you mean israelis? if so, i've never actually used one. i've got very little (none) field experience. clinicals don't start for us until the first of next year. i'm gearing up now, and it never hurts to be prepared. i've been needing medical supplies for my gear anyways, and i can always keep something in my truck. i don't put things in my kits that i don't already know how to use. for example, i won't be putting the airways in until i feel that i'm competent with them. the last thing i want is someone blowing their groceries on me because i didn't recognize when NOT to use an OPA, or something to that effect.

oh, and you have a PM.

15. footratfunkface

thanks. yeah, enforcing shitty laws is the kicker for me. drug laws, firearm laws, etc. i don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs, but putting my life on the line to stop someone else from doing any of those doesn't really appeal to me. also, it's "tracheostomy", with an E and an S in there.

16. and super glue

17. footratfunkface

super glue is great if you don't have anything in the wound. a property which wounds rarely exhibit, thus the reason why i have saline for irrigation. i'm not going to be closing up any wounds, though.